Gabe has confirmed a new PC/Console being made by Valve

Been playing a Sony console for 15+ years so the side by side joysticks are a plus for me. But it looks small and cramped. Could just be the picture tho.

It does look good, but it's best not to judge any of this stuff one way or another as it's just prototype.
If they can make it better I'll love it
Hope it works on regular PC, it should be that way, it'll be a let down if it doesn't work with older computer systems, or compatibale with some and not with others

I don't like the sticks being side by side like that, but if I can just plug up a 360 pad to this then it all becomes moot anyway. Can not wait to hear more on this, I'm stoked.
I'm into them being like that, still not a fan of the XBox squint gamepad, despite it being alright in the hands

Awesome controller,Like a hybrid of PS&X Box's using their best parts

There is a first time for everything, and the market isnt quite ready for download only. We like convenience and instant gratification. Three hours to download a game that you can be locked out of for various reasons, drm, and no physical copy or a thirty minute drive and a physical copy. You can see where they are gonna lose some sales. I mean I dont know anyone who doesnt own at least one physical copy of a game. Downloading and streaming is a great alternative but it doesnt seem to be to the point where it is the only option. Now if the system allows external drives then that has added potential.

Steam has had a great business model so far. Getting in the ring with hardware giants like Microsoft and Sony is a whole other ballgame.

Eh, if they do it right I can totally see them knocking Sony down another peg. Maybe not Microsoft...but Sony's teetering anyway.

As a whole, not just the Playstation.

I gotta be honest. When I pick up that 1 Terabite HD for my WiiU...I doubt I buy a physical game for the system again.

Eh, if they do it right I can totally see them knocking Sony down another peg. Maybe not Microsoft...but Sony's teetering anyway.

As a whole, not just the Playstation.

I gotta be honest. When I pick up that 1 Terabite HD for my WiiU...I doubt I buy a physical game for the system again.

I used to say i want a physical copy of my game but now, i think im ready to make the switch to download. The only thing holding me back is space on my consoles and the lack of availability. I mean i said the same thing about music, oh i like my hard copy cd's but as soon as the ipod and itunes dropped, i was like forget that mess.

Im not sure what this will mean for the other companies, im sure Sony will be sweating the most just due to the state of their company, but if this thing drops, is deemed as user friendly as a console, then everyone should be a little nervous.

It's a slow but steady process. It's just more convenient to download or stream it as opposed to cluttering up the place with discs.

It's a slow but steady process. It's just more convenient to download or stream it as opposed to cluttering up the place with discs.

Oh for sure. Im running out of space in my room with all my games. Iv started stuffing some of them under my bed.

I used to say i want a physical copy of my game but now, i think im ready to make the switch to download. The only thing holding me back is space on my consoles and the lack of availability. I mean i said the same thing about music, oh i like my hard copy cd's but as soon as the ipod and itunes dropped, i was like forget that mess.

You know, it's weird. I still buy my music on disk when I can because I like to have a hard copy somewhere (which is doubly weird because I'm not like a "music guy"), but when it comes to games I was ready for that glorious digital download future like yesterday.

Im not sure what this will mean for the other companies, im sure Sony will be sweating the most just due to the state of their company, but if this thing drops, is deemed as user friendly as a console, then everyone should be a little nervous.

I don't think the big three have anything to worry about just yet. In time Valve might target the mass market, but for now this thing seems to be squarely aimed at the enthusiast crowd.

Hopefully they let you use any USB powered controller. Would be nice

I don't like the sticks being side by side like that, but if I can just plug up a 360 pad to this then it all becomes moot anyway. Can not wait to hear more on this, I'm stoked.

Wow, yeah, that would be great.

You know, it's weird. I still buy my music on disk when I can because I like to have a hard copy somewhere (which is doubly weird because I'm not like a "music guy"), but when it comes to games I was ready for that glorious digital download future like yesterday.

Hah, odd. I cant remember the last time i purchased an actual CD. It had to of been right around the time when itunes was blowing up. My sister tho has been purchasing vinyl records tho. Apparently thats big with music enthusiasts now. But, yea, im ready to make the leap to digital with games.

I don't think the big three have anything to worry about just yet. In time Valve might target the mass market, but for now this thing seems to be squarely aimed at the enthusiast crowd.

Yea i can agree there.

What's the proposed Hard Disc size?
Any chance for modding games on this system?
This prototype reminds me of the Gamecube

I think I read somewhere that the Piston had a 1T HDD in it, and these things are PCs, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use mods.

Exactly.

I'm running out of shelf room... I'm really over the "physical" copy thing. Bring on the digital age. It will also keep me from trading things in.

Exactly.

I'm running out of shelf room... I'm really over the "physical" copy thing. Bring on the digital age. It will also keep me from trading things in.
To delete and download again is another matter
Boring wait

the controller is very similar to the logic tech one I have for my pc which a bigger version of the ps3 controller and thick an bit heavier too. but the experience is about the same.

Yup...They only have the hardcore enthusiasts in mind right now...However...their next system...We'll see.

Wonder what the price range will be? I can't expect it to be very high..

To delete and download again is another matter
Boring wait

I doubt I delete anything...and If I do it will still be mine. My download speed is fairly fast and I live in BFE. If the dreaded "THREE HOUR WIIU UPDATE" only took me half an hour...I think I'll be fine.

Yup...They only have the hardcore enthusiasts in mind right now...However...their next system...We'll see.

Wonder what the price range will be? I can't expect it to be very high..

It's valve. They always set reasonable prices and not overly Expensive ones.

Indeed. That's what I'm actually most excited about. If they launch this time for 150-250...Hell, I may get two!

:p

Eh...this is still a gaming PC. If you guys are expecting this to be some kind of magical device that offers top level PC graphics and features for the price of a console, keep dreaming.

Eh...this is still a gaming PC. If you guys are expecting this to be some kind of magical device that offers top level PC graphics and features for the price of a console, keep dreaming.

Yea id assume they want to be around the price that itd cost for you to build your own system, any more than that and i dont see the market being there.

I honestly don't expect it to be more than 500. I don't.

I mean, people called me crazy when I said the WiiU would launch for 300-350. I was right. I'm gonna go with that "special" feeling this time.

450-500...

Yea id assume they want to be around the price that itd cost for you to build your own system, any more than that and i dont see the market being there.

Yup...When I looked into building my own system I was around 550-600...I don't even see this thing being up there. They'll be sold in GameStop's and WalMarts... Not specialty stores.

I take back what I said. I still think it will cost more than the next gen consoles, but perhaps not as much as I was thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"