Gamespot Review- Excite Truck

Kalit said:
I'm still annoyed by lack of online multiplayer by this (and all other) game(s) so far...

The only reason I can think of is that it's not ready yet. Reggie said on G4 that online gaming should begin starting in Jan.

Yea, supposedly COD 3 will get an update early next year for online play.

I think it is good. It is encouraging people to get real friends and play with them in person.

Ya know, I re-read this review a couple of times... and I know I haven't played the game yet... but I'm gonna retract some of the stuff I said earlier.

I was kinda upset when I saw Jeff was reviewing it given his clear hatred for the game... but he makes some fair points. I think I'm gonna wait a while and rent this, which'll mean I can loosen up some cash which is good because I forgot to my a second controller... so I can get that instead.

I want GameSpot to go the way of OPM, they give out some of the WORST scores out there. I'm sure I'll get excite truck sooner or later, it will be a nice filler until Mario Kart Wii.

I wasn't sure of getting this to begin with. I have Zelda, Rayman, FarCry, Red Steel, and Trauma Center up higher on my list.

I'm planning on renting it first, since I ended up taking this one off my list to get Monkey Ball BB.:woot:

I was gonna pass on an extra controller since i was gonna wait for more colors and get a free one with Wii play, but I will go ahead and get another anyway. That way my friend and I can play Wii Sports sunday. His bro may get a Wii around Thanksgiving when he comes home, so if he gets an extra controller then the 3 of us and my friend's brother's girlfriend can play Wii Tennis.

IGN Review:8.0

7.0 Presentation
Solid amount of features that show off Wii capabilities, but don't expect to be overwhelmed by a huge feature list of options.

8.0 Graphics
Really fast visual engine with lots of texture detail and effects. Frame rate takes the occasional hit, but nothing alarming.

6.5 Sound
Extremely generic, southern garage rock that can be replaced with your own playlist through the miracle of SDs and MP3s.

8.5 Gameplay
Absolutely fast-paced, maniacal, yet intuitive and responsive racing game that features a great amount of energy and fun.

5.5 Lasting Appeal
If all you want is to see the dozen or so tracks then you can do that in a couple of hours...it's getting the Super Excite mode that extends the play. Multiplayer isn't a selling point.

Spidey-Bat said:
I was gonna pass on an extra controller since i was gonna wait for more colors and get a free one with Wii play, but I will go ahead and get another anyway. That way my friend and I can play Wii Sports sunday. His bro may get a Wii around Thanksgiving when he comes home, so if he gets an extra controller then the 3 of us and my friend's brother's girlfriend can play Wii Tennis.

I thought the extra controller with Wii Play was for Europe and Japan only. Hope it comes to North America.

War Party said:
IGN Review:8.0

7.0 Presentation
Solid amount of features that show off Wii capabilities, but don't expect to be overwhelmed by a huge feature list of options.

8.0 Graphics
Really fast visual engine with lots of texture detail and effects. Frame rate takes the occasional hit, but nothing alarming.

6.5 Sound
Extremely generic, southern garage rock that can be replaced with your own playlist through the miracle of SDs and MP3s.

8.5 Gameplay
Absolutely fast-paced, maniacal, yet intuitive and responsive racing game that features a great amount of energy and fun.

5.5 Lasting Appeal
If all you want is to see the dozen or so tracks then you can do that in a couple of hours...it's getting the Super Excite mode that extends the play. Multiplayer isn't a selling point.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746278p1.html

Hmm.... that review makes it seem worth a $20 title. I might ask for this for Christmas.

Most Game Crazy stores at the Hollywood Video have the Wii up and running for play now. I just sample Excite Truck earlier on my lunch hour, and while the graphics are obviously not as polished as Motorstorm, it's just as fun...even more so. People that are throwing the controller around to play don't get it quite yet. And the thing is fast. I mean Wipeout fast. Depending on the track and vehicle you choose, though.

slinger said:
I thought the extra controller with Wii Play was for Europe and Japan only. Hope it comes to North America.

There has been nothing about Wii Play being released in America. I expect it to also include a free Wiimote.

terry78 said:
Most Game Crazy stores at the Hollywood Video have the Wii up and running for play now. I just sample Excite Truck earlier on my lunch hour, and while the graphics are obviously not as polished as Motorstorm, it's just as fun...even more so. People that are throwing the controller around to play don't get it quite yet. And the thing is fast. I mean Wipeout fast. Depending on the track and vehicle you choose, though.

Yeah, I had the opportunity to play the kiosk version yesterday while I was picking up Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids from my local GameStop.

I never saw the Wiimote or the actual Wii console before, and let me tell you, it was surreal. Both are incredibily tiny. You hear about how small the console is all of the time, but until you actually see it in front of you, you'll never quite grasp it. Holding the Wiimote for the first time is extremely satisfying and comfortable. I'm totally digging this new way to play games. But that deserves a thread all on its own.

Anway, I think 8.4 is a suitable score for the game, and as terry78 pointed out, it is a fast-paced racer. And although its not quite the Smash Bros. of racing I've been raving about, I can definitely see why my friend chose to compare it to Smash Bros. The items (which deform the track in real-time), turbo-boost, tracks, and especially the controller add layers of depth to the game requiring thr player to master precision timing and a steady grip if you have any chance at racing like a pro. The jumps are insane, and using the Wiimote is extremely fun. I particularly like how some of the sounds in the game are heard from the Wiimote.

I recommend it as a purchase, but not necessarily as a must-have like, say, TP, Red Steel, Trauma Center, Super Monkey Ball, Rayman Raving Rabbids, etc. I know I'm buying it, though.

Spidey-Bat said:
I think it is good. It is encouraging people to get real friends and play with them in person.
I play video games to get away from people.

I played this and Motorstorm. Motorstorm has the better visuals and sound, but it wasn't as fun as Excite Truck. It just wasn't. Excite Truck is more like its namesake Excitebike with the outrageous jumps and fantasy-type speed and tricks you can do with the Wii-mote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"