German killing of headscarved woman at court raises fears in Europe

Edenbeast

Civilian
Reaction score
The killing of the Muslim woman raises many questions regarding inter-racial relationships and co-existence in Europe. Monday, 06 July 2009 13:15

World Bulletin / News Desk

European Muslims faced another hate crime with killing of a headscarved woman by a German man in a court room on on July 1st, German and Egyptian media reported.

Marwa Sherbini, a 32-year-old Egyptian national who was suing her attacker after he insulted her for wearing the Islamic headscarf.

Sherbini stood in court to give evidence against court appeal, the 28-year old man took out a knife and stabbed her 18 times.

Marwa took her 3-year old son Mostapha to play in a Dresden park. A German man, identified only as Axel W, insulted her because of wearing headscarf and called her a "terrorist". She filed a case against him in German courts after the incident.

When she won the case and the court fined him the €780 for having abused her. But German man appealed against the verdict, German media said.

german-woman-headscarf-3.20090706132441..jpg
Also, her husband and her son were present in the court room. When the assailant attacked Marwa her husband ran to rescue her. But the assailant stabbed him 3 times. Meanwhile, a German security officer in court shot the husband in the leg too.

The husband Elwy Okaz lapsed into a coma and was taken to hospital suffering from serious injuries to the stomach and liver.

Marwa Sherbini was a star pupil at her Alexandria School, El Nasr Girls' College (EGC), one of the oldest and most prestigious educational establishments for girls in Alexandria. Her personality and academic achievements led to her selection as Head Girl of the school before she joined the Faculty of Pharmacy at Alexandria University, graduating in 2000 with flying colors. After she got married to Elwy Okaz, a researcher at the Max Planck Institute, she moved with him to Germany.

Crime ignored

The killing of the Muslim woman raises many questions regarding inter-racial relationships and co-existence in Europe.

It's been too long since Egyptian bloggers came together under the same opinion. But the new hate crime that took place in Germany against Sherbini, was one good reason for them to unite again, condemning international media for ignoring such incidents against Muslims in the West.

German officials did not acknowleged about bloody event which is taken in front of the 3 year old son's eyes during 24 hours and did not informed Marva's family or Egyptian embassy..

According to father of MArwa who spoked to an Egyptian TV, they learned the killing from a family friend after on a phone conversation after 24 hours.

"My daughter was pregnant in her third month," the heartbroken mother told Egypt's Al-Masri Al-Youm daily on Sunday, July 5.

"I never imagined she would be a victim of terrorism and we would see her pictures in the media."

egytian-woman-germany-2.20090706132621..jpg
Also, the media reported that German officials put the son of Sherbinis, Mostafa in an orphanage, rejecting to hand him over Egyptian embassy for send him to family members.

The state-owned Egyptian Gazette reported the hate crime as saying the attacker stabbed Sherbini "shortly before she was to give evidence in an appeal lodged by the man against a conviction for insulting her over wearing the hijab."

"The investigation into this bloody crime is bound to show there are some indications the suspect was hostile toward foreigners – the signs are there," said Saxony police chief Bernd Merbitz told German media.

Source: http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=44457

Boy, thats horrible. RIP

How does someone stab someone 18 times while they are in a courtroom. Courtrooms in America are swarming with police and bailiffs.

My first reaction to seeing the thread title was: "A German? Doing something predjudiced? There's just no precedence for that!"

But after reading it, it's just kinda sad, and it is surprising that nobody stopped this guy before he could stab her that many times.

The German guy was clearly a psycho, and therefore not indicative of racial relations in Europe.

JAK®;17147508 said:
The German guy was clearly a psycho, and therefore not indicative of racial relations in Europe.

Agreed

One horrible incident as it may be this is not a huge statement on
European racial relations.

I know it wasn't a big trial or court case but how did the guy manage to stab her 18 times and why didn't he get checked for a knife or any kind of weapon on his way in.

Last edited:
Agreed

One horrible incident as it may be this is not a huge statement on
European racial relations.

I know it wasn't a bigger trial or court case but how did the guy manage to stab her 18 times and why didn't he get checked for a knife or any kind of weapon on his way in.

I think this aspect should receive the most media attention instead of anything to do with race.

I was wondering the same thing. How does someone stab someone else in a court room when they are in the opposing party. How in the hell did he carry a knife into there and why was the husband shotin the leg by a security guard?

How does someone stab someone 18 times while they are in a courtroom. Courtrooms in America are swarming with police and bailiffs.

We had a guy shoot the judge, bailiff, court stenographer, and a federal agent and got away before being caught 3 days later here in Atlanta.

We had a guy shoot the judge, bailiff, court stenographer, and a federal agent and got away before being caught 3 days later here in Atlanta.

:wow: Don't you guys have metal detectors in Atlanta? Security is so tight in courthouses here that you can't get in carrying a metal fingernail file.

I would say that shooting those people with an automatic weapon takes less time than it does to stab one person 18 times and another person 3 times. The security in that courtroom was extremely bad.

For the record: There was no mention of this in german media as far as i'm concerned.
I'm not sure what to make of the story. Usually our media is sensitive for these kind of events but I've read nothing about it until now:huh:

They should of had time to go on a bathroom break and then stop the guy before he got to 18 stabs.

JAK®;17147508 said:

That may be true in this instance, but from everything I have read/heard about inter-racial relationships in Germany (and France, come to think of it), there is still a lot of tension. It was only a few years ago that there was the huge headscarf in schools debate in France, and then a year or two later there was the rioting in the suburbs (which is made up of a lot of working class Algerians and others of African descent). I'm not as well versed on Germany's situation but I know a lot of the same issues have arised.

This attack itself may not have been racially motivated, but it obviously has struck a cord amongst some media sources who are using to draw attention to inter-race relationships.

That may be true in this instance, but from everything I have read/heard about inter-racial relationships in Germany (and France, come to think of it), there is still a lot of tension. It was only a few years ago that there was the huge headscarf in schools debate in France, and then a year or two later there was the rioting in the suburbs (which is made up of a lot of working class Algerians and others of African descent). I'm not as well versed on Germany's situation but I know a lot of the same issues have arised.

This attack itself may not have been racially motivated, but it obviously has struck a cord amongst some media sources who are using to draw attention to inter-race relationships.

According to what I've read and heard so far, the attacker called the victim a terrorist, b****, and Islamist. Which led the victim to report the incident. I guess thats enough motivation for a hate crime.

more on this http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/07/06/egypt.woman.killed/index.html

^Yea, what he said right there is enough to see the killer's intent as racially motivated.

What a terrible thing to happen, honestly :(. I feel so bad for her family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"