Good superhero comics outside of the main DC/Marvel stuff

BlackOpsTengu

Civilian
Reaction score
Just looking for a few more heroes, villains and super-worlds that may suit my tastes. I've heard good things about the Authority, New Frontier and the Spirit. Any other recommendations? Things I like in comics include:

Classic superheroes,
Government/Military forces fighting 'super powered' threats (aliens, super Nazis what have you),
Cool, interesting villains,
Humor,
Clever, unique stories

All of those you listed are DC related.

Anyway, Dynamo 5, Invincible, and Brit from Image.

Umbrella Academy and BPRD from Dark Horse, the Lone Ranger and The Boys from Dynamite are good reads as well.

If you can find the original "The Mask" trilogy (The Mask, The Mask Returns, The Mask Strikes Back) from Dark Horse, they're definitely worth a read. :up:

kathyzz5.jpg

kathy2ec0.jpg

kathy3lz6.jpg

Astro City(DC imprint, but not the DC universe) is one of my favorites of all time.
Supreme was awesome during the Alan Moore years.
ABC comics has some great titles, Top Ten, Tom Strong, Promethea and the like.

To clarify, I don't mean necessarily out of continuity, just off the beaten path.

To clarify, I don't mean necessarily out of continuity, just off the beaten path.

Any ABC comic is your cup of tea then, definitely check them out, every title takes something identifiable, but does something different with them.

Virgin Comics' Devi. It's kinda rich in Hindu folklore, but I dig it.

That looks a lot darker than the Jim Carrey movie.

Of the ones I've checked out, Astro City and Dynamo 5 seem right up my alley. And that's definitely a trip to see where the idea for the Mask movie came from. :p

That looks a lot darker than the Jim Carrey movie.
From what I understand, the Mask in the comics was a murderous maniac. I hear they significantly toned him down so Jim Carrey could make more cartoony faces.

The movie didn't even have Walter in it, and kept referring to the wearer of the mask as "The Mask" instead of "Big-Head."

Family friendly romantic comedy <<< Dark thriller and substance abuse metaphor.

kellaway2xd0.jpg

Family friendly romantic comedy <<< Dark thriller and substance abuse metaphor.

I still give Jim Carrey props for having signed onto the deal back in the early stages of the script when it was going to be closer to the comics in tone.

I really think the Carrey Mask should've cut all ties with the comic. It's a decent movie by its own rights, but it's got jack to do with the original.

On an unrelated note, shouldn't this be in the Misc. Comics forum?

Yeah, but I would never have gotten an answer. :p

I've checked out some of the characters of Astro City and wow. This looks right up my ally. Remixes of classic hero and villain archetypes, great characterization and art, nice tight stories with good continuity (that actually changes the status quo over time!), seems like a winner to me.

Samaritan, The Confessor, Silver Agent and Blue Knight look like the coolest heroes out of the bunch thus far. I love the concept of the Crossbreed too, very original but doesn't seem like they're there for shock value, which is rare with religious super heroes. The dude with black fencing gear and the ultra feminist winged girl have promise too.

In short, I think I'll be picking up a few trades of this, thanks guys.

Yeah, but I would never have gotten an answer. :p

I've checked out some of the characters of Astro City and wow. This looks right up my ally. Remixes of classic hero and villain archetypes, great characterization and art, nice tight stories with good continuity (that actually changes the status quo over time!), seems like a winner to me.

Samaritan, The Confessor, Silver Agent and Blue Knight look like the coolest heroes out of the bunch thus far. I love the concept of the Crossbreed too, very original but doesn't seem like they're there for shock value, which is rare with religious super heroes. The dude with black fencing gear and the ultra feminist winged girl have promise too.

In short, I think I'll be picking up a few trades of this, thanks guys.

Wait until you see Jack in the Box(my avatar), like a cross between Spider-Man and Batman, dressed as a clown . . and black.

Definitely check out one of the ABC comic line superhero comics, I'd recommend Top Ten, my personal favorite, it's a cop drama in a city full of powered individuals.

its not out yet, but i cant wait for wagner's zoro

The American Way from WS by Ridley and Jeanty is one of the most overlooked minis from the past 5 years.

Takes place during the JFK administration,false flag operations to gain the trust of the american people using superheroes,it's a really good read with one hell of a climax.

Planetary and the Authority by Warren Ellis are some of WS's best stuff.

JMS' Rising Stars maxi series now collected in 3 trades is one of the best superhero stories ever.These characters all have a beginning and an end,so you really become invested in alot of these guys.

Astro City is humbling read,the first 3 trades are the best.(Life in the Big City,Confession,Family Album)

Current books still coming out:

Black Summer by Warren Ellis
Dynamo 5 by Jay Faerber(sp?)
Umbrella Academy by Gerard Way
Lobster Johnson:The Iron Prometheus by Mike Mignola
Casanova by Matt Fraction
Proof by Alex Grecian

JMS' Rising Stars maxi series now collected in 3 trades is one of the best superhero stories ever.These characters all have a beginning and an end,so you really become invested in alot of these guys.

Good call on Rising Stars, completely forgot about that one!

what's Rising Stars all about? Another take on super powered beings?

Basically all children in utero when a meteor(or something) comes down on a small town are born with powers, then hijinks ensue, but serious hijinks. It's damn good stuff.

Just looking for a few more heroes, villains and super-worlds that may suit my tastes. I've heard good things about the Authority, New Frontier and the Spirit. Any other recommendations? Things I like in comics include:

Classic superheroes,
Government/Military forces fighting 'super powered' threats (aliens, super Nazis what have you),
Cool, interesting villains,
Humor,
Clever, unique stories

Then you want everything Hellboy and BPRD.

Hellboy seemed fun. I may pick up the trades at some point, but Astro City has my attention right now.

And yeah, that Jack in the Box dude is freaky. I mean, he looks like a scary clown, how are you gonna kill that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"