Good superhero comics outside of the main DC/Marvel stuff

If you can find the original "The Mask" trilogy (The Mask, The Mask Returns, The Mask Strikes Back) from Dark Horse, they're definitely worth a read. :up:

seconded. one of those comics that suprises you by how good and also how underrated it is.

Jesus H. Christ guys, how could you not tell me about this guy? :woot:

14578.jpg

Lobster Johnson...

Lobster Johnson...

A badass vigilante who fights Nazis and zombies and dark gods...

Who burns a lobster claw on the foreheads of his enemies.

Perfection, your name is Johnson, Lobster Johnson. :heart:

"Come and taste the Lobster's Claw!" :funny:

Just did some more digging and Planetary looks really awesome too. I saw some of the action in it and it reminded me a bit of Hellsing. Crazy powers going off everywhere, massive collateral damage, villains getting torn to shreds (which is what realistically would happen if people with superpowers started fighting). I've heard the characters are really great too, and the concept of paying tribute to a hundred odd years of comic history sounds cool.

Jesus H. Christ guys, how could you not tell me about this guy? :woot:

14578.jpg

Lobster Johnson...

Lobster Johnson...

A badass vigilante who fights Nazis and zombies and dark gods...

Who burns a lobster claw on the foreheads of his enemies.

Perfection, your name is Johnson, Lobster Johnson. :heart:

"Come and taste the Lobster's Claw!" :funny:

I mentioned that on the last page.The IP mini was really good,I hope they come out with more.Armstrong is an overlooked talent.

In regards to Planetary,there's some action in it,but I wouldn't describe it as you have.

Whatever happened to the book Jade Warrior. I thought that was okay then they just stopped it. Anyone hear of 'Grips'? He was like a Wolverine wanna-be that came out on some low budget company that couldn't compete with the big boys.

I still give Jim Carrey props for having signed onto the deal back in the early stages of the script when it was going to be closer to the comics in tone.
Carrey could have played an amazing Lt. Kellaway if they had done an accurate adaptation of the first book (he does actually look a lot more like Kellaway than Ipkiss). Plus, Stanley dies less than half-way through the book, with Kellaway as the main character for the rest of it, so Carrey still would've been the star.

Invincible,Proof,Dynamo 5,Noble causes,Astounding wolf-man,Savage dragon - Pratically the image universe.

I'm surprised there were only two mentions of Invincible, that book is EXACTLY up your alley and what you're looking for. Books like The Invisibles (the picture Sandman138 just posted above but didn't say what it was) and The Mask are great reads, but they aren't superheroes, and Rising Stars and Supreme aren't really big on the humor angle. Invincible has got everything you're asking for.

42776796658.1.gif

Title: Invincible
Writer/Artist: Robert Kirkman, Ryan Ottley, Cory Walker
Publisher: Image

Amazon.com listing:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...f=pd_bbs_1/103-9396336-0621452?_encoding=UTF8

Invincible is the Eisner Award-nominated top selling Image book, created and written by Robert Kirkman (same guy who's doing The Walking Dead, Marvel Zombies, Marvel Team Up, and Ultimate X-Men). Here's the pitch from the back of volume one:

"Mark Grayson is just like most everyone else his age. He's a senior at a normal American high School. He has a crappy part time job after school and on weekends. He likes girls quite a bit... but doesn't quite understand them. He enjoys hanging out with his friends, and sleeping late on Saturdays... at least until the good cartoons come on. The only difference between Mark and everyone else is that his father is the most powerful superhero on the planet, and as of late, he seems to be inheriting his father's powers. Strange things begin to happen to Mark Grayson as he begins to develop superpowers. Luckily, his dad is around to show him the ropes, at least he would be if he weren't so busy saving the world all the time. "

But that's just the begining. Over only two years, Kirkman has not only developed Mark and his father into amazingly fleshed out characters, he's created a whole world around Mark that rivals the entire Marvel or DC Universes in variety and creativity. The twists are non stop, as is the fun. The plot is no holds barred, and you truly don't know what is going to happen next. The storytelling is top notch, and it is downright the best superhero title being published today.

Format: So far there's nine softcover volumes collecting the first 40 or so issues. But the Hardcovers are the real bargain, as they contain three softcovers each, plus a load of bonus material, for cheaper than the softcovers. You can buy the volume 1 HC for an incrediblly low $23 at Amazon (softcovers they ask $10 a peice for). Buy it, and get hooked!

42771243785.0.GIF

42771243785.16.GIF

42771243785.18.GIF

42771243785.22.GIF

Ah, so that's where that kid's from. I've seen him on a few covers, but didn't put two and two together. It looks cool, I read the wiki article on it and it sounds like a good remix of classic stuff. Some of the covers were pretty funny too. There was one with Mark and some vigilante having their friends dig their own graves. Reminded me of the old, 'Superman is a dick' covers. :D

There was one with Mark and some vigilante having their friends dig their own graves. Reminded me of the old, 'Superman is a dick' covers. :D

That was an issue of The Pact, a four issue miniseries that teamed up Invincible with three other teenage heroes in the shared Image Universe, each issue being written by one of the four different creators. It's not terrible, but it was really only for die-hard fans. The Robert Kirkman written issue is included in one of the Invincible trades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"