BvS Goyer Admits They Didn't Plan How 'Reporter Clark Kent' Could Make Sense

NO you would not...because you would recognize almost inherently that BRAD PITT would not work at friggin Mickie D's...

If you saw a dude who looked liked Brad Pitt at your local McDonalds, and he worked there EVERYDAY you saw him then you would not think that was Brad Pitt. You would not because guess what? Brad Pitt doesn't work at McDonalds and YOU KNOW THAT!

Now imagine this is a man called Superman capable of God-Like powers.....????? Is he working at McDonalds?

If an alien suddenly showed up, took control of every single electronic device and TOLD us that Brad Pitt has been living among us, in disguise....then I'm guessing that people would probably be mighty suspicious of the dude working at McDonalds who looks exactly like Brad Pitt, living among us and trying to blend in lol :oldrazz:

And on that note, I'm totally craving a sausage mcMuffin for breakfast now. I'm off to McD's!

Last edited:
I think audiences distinguish between what’s explicitly fantastic and what’s mundane. So while they’ll (quite readily) accept that a man in a suit of armor can fly, they expect the normal stuff (like cars and elevators and cell phones) to be realistic. (Certainly, the presence of fantasy shouldn’t excuse sloppy writing in other areas.) And traditionally, Clark’s disguise has always been represented as a mundane ruse - not a strange superpower like heat vision, etc. As such, folks hold it to a different standard of believability.

I don’t have any wisdom about how to depict Clark’s glasses disguise as realistic to a modern, critical audience. But you could maybe sell “hiding in plain sight” as plausible by making Supes more mysterious (no interviews, no speeches to the UN) and by making Clark more of a background figure at the DP (not a star reporter with a photo next to his byline).

If an alien suddenly showed up, took control of every single electronic device and TOLD us that Brad Pitt has been living among us, in disguise....then I'm guessing that people would probably be mighty suspicious of the dude working at McDonalds who looks exactly like Brad Pitt, living among us and trying to blend in lol :oldrazz:

And on that note, I'm totally craving a sausage mcMuffin for breakfast now. I'm off to McD's!
:oldrazz: I couldn't help it either...lol. Mmmm...hash browns...lol

Here's the thing . No one has told anyone about Clark. From what was shown in the movie, no one knows Clark is anything but what he is claiming to be, and conceivably no one got a good look at Superman.

I think audiences distinguish between what’s explicitly fantastic and what’s mundane. So while they’ll (quite readily) accept that a man in a suit of armor can fly, they expect the normal stuff (like cars and elevators and cell phones) to be realistic. (Certainly, the presence of fantasy shouldn’t excuse sloppy writing in other areas.) And traditionally, Clark’s disguise has always been represented as a mundane ruse - not a strange superpower like heat vision, etc. As such, folks hold it to a different standard of believability.

I don’t have any wisdom about how to depict Clark’s glasses disguise as realistic to a modern, critical audience. But you could maybe sell “hiding in plain sight” as plausible by making Supes more mysterious (no interviews, no speeches to the UN) and by making Clark more of a background figure at the DP (not a star reporter with a photo next to his byline).

This sounds like the best way to go.

This maybe where the realism comes into play because I don't think Superman is going to be standing around for iPhone pix.

If people can't figure out that after 7 years of being dead, Bruce Wayne comes back and all the sudden some one called Batman is in Gotham and there could be a chance he's Bruce Wayne based on all the tech the guy has; people won't figure out Clark Kent is Superman. People aren't all that smart.

Look at Aunt May in TASM2 trailer. Peter washes the flag and all the sudden she believes him? That's the dumbest excuse I've heard.

We give people to much credit. How about you have some realism but not make everything based on realism?

I was thinking... maybe they could stick him in a basement or smth like they did with Fox Mulder so he can still claim to be working for the DP and most people there wouldn't associate Clark with Supes.

either that or it would be treated like a white elephant in the room, where people just routinely go about their business and/or be protective of Clark against those who clearly doesn't like that one alien who nearly brought world annihalation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"