The Ending Won't Make Sense. No Matter How Hard They Try!

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
This show has made its fair share of mistakes. We all have to accept that. As a result, the ending won't make any sense. In the upcoming episode, Clark will become a disguise. Um. . .isn't it a little too late for that? Clark Kent hasn't exactly been under the radar. Smallville has an entire police file on him since he was pretty much involved in every freak and Luthor related incident. He also made a few enemies along the way. Clark was Lex Luthor's best friend for many years. A few tabloid's are aware of this. And so is the government who launched an investigation on him in season three. Lex was the one to get him out of it when he agreed to assist in the investigation against his father. Speaking of the government, they know he's a vigilante! So, when Superman shows up, all of Smallville, the government, and people close to the Luthors will know he's Clark Kent. Oh...and did I forget to mention that he's the son of a Senator? Maybe he should consider turning Superman into the disguise. This show has made so many changes to the mythology that seeing Superman with a mask isn't gonna be a big deal. Now, let's move on to Lex Luthor. On Friday's episode, it was revealed that Lex is beginning to lose his memory. What's the point of that when anyone, and I mean anyone, can remind/inform him of all his past activities - including his friendship with Clark and the 3-year investigation he had on him.

It seems like they were better off creating a Superman universe that had nothing to do with the comics or previous adaptations. An elseworld type thing. Or simply just giving Superman a mask. Although, with the government knowing about his superpowers - that might have been pointless as well.

Hmm. While I do understand your points, Smallville has always been while not a complete elseworlds, something different then true canon.

He doesn't need a mask to prevent people from knowing who he is when he reveals himself as Superman.

He is after all Superman. Clark Kent is the disguise
It's not so much the government will know he's Superman, it's the fact that no one will know he's Superman. Except for his few close friends.

It's how the comics work, and it has to be how Smallville does it.
Any other way wouldn't make any sense. :)

Suspension of Disbelief. So, to me, they need not explain how people don't know he's Superman, because that insults the intelligence of the fans.

The single best solution is for Smallville to just be like the comics, and make sure it's never addressed. Except that one time in the Bronze Age. Super-Hypnotism.
Because the one thing no TV show, or Comic, or movie, can survive is destroying the Suspension of Disbelief.

So, Tl;dr, let Smallville end the way it needs to end. Without explaining why people don't know he is Superman. After all, you wouldn't want to say millions of people are stupid? :)

Superman will use his mind wipe power on the entire planet.

I'm fairly certain there is no incarnation of Superman that has that power. :)
The closest is the kiss of forgetfulness that what's his name used to annoy Richard Donner in Superman 2.

Like I said, there is only one real way to deal with this.

Superman will use his mind wipe power on the entire planet.
If he super-speeds, how long do you think it'll take for him to kiss the entire world?
icon10.gif

Seriously though, I definitely want a mind-wipe of the world at some point, I don't care one way or the other how cheesy it might be, just make it happen somehow.

This show has made its fair share of mistakes. We all have to accept that. As a result, the ending won't make any sense. In the upcoming episode, Clark will become a disguise. Um. . .isn't it a little too late for that? Clark Kent hasn't exactly been under the radar. Smallville has an entire police file on him since he was pretty much involved in every freak and Luthor related incident. He also made a few enemies along the way. Clark was Lex Luthor's best friend for many years. A few tabloid's are aware of this. And so is the government who launched an investigation on him in season three. Lex was the one to get him out of it when he agreed to assist in the investigation against his father. Speaking of the government, they know he's a vigilante! So, when Superman shows up, all of Smallville, the government, and people close to the Luthors will know he's Clark Kent. Oh...and did I forget to mention that he's the son of a Senator? Maybe he should consider turning Superman into the disguise. This show has made so many changes to the mythology that seeing Superman with a mask isn't gonna be a big deal. Now, let's move on to Lex Luthor. On Friday's episode, it was revealed that Lex is beginning to lose his memory. What's the point of that when anyone, and I mean anyone, can remind/inform him of all his past activities - including his friendship with Clark and the 3-year investigation he had on him.

It seems like they were better off creating a Superman universe that had nothing to do with the comics or previous adaptations. An elseworld type thing. Or simply just giving Superman a mask. Although, with the government knowing about his superpowers - that might have been pointless as well.

I think we have this conversation every season haha.

In all honesty, part of me started to actually believe that Clark might reveal his secret identity during this season. I can't remember which episode it was, but it really did seem like they were foreshadowing Clark just outting himself.

Well hell the whole premise of the show Flash Forward was a major event that knocked everyone out and made them see into the future. Why couldn't Darkseid do something of this magnitude. Upset that his plan of darkness is ruined by Superman and the hope of the people, he could very easily make it so all of the planet and Clark's main relationships don't know him. What affect would that have on Clark. Already the sole survivor of his birth planet, now he wouldn't have any special relationships. Though I'd hate for Martha to be taken away from him.

People are making this out to be to big of a deal.

Darkseid isn't a *****ebag. So he wouldn't do that. Plus, it's way beyond his powers to knock everyone out on the Planet Earth.

Believe me, the simplest solution, and one that needs to be done above all others, is to let it go.

No one must answer the question of why Superman and Clark Kent are never recognized as the same person.

Suspension of Disbelief.
The only people who can't understand that concept are people in a coma, therefor have no need for Suspension of Disbelief, nor any interest in anything outside of their own mind, or politicians, who don't ever use their brain. :)

Anyone else will easily understand why it's not needed to ever explain it.

i think this show will make sense with liberties lol. i do think that darkseid is going to lose to superman, but in the end he's going to erase clarks existence from most of the world. i think the only one who will remember him is martha. lois' mind is going to be the first one that gets erased and thats going to trigger clark to initially beat darkseid. jor el is going to give the memories back to martha because he's going to need his mom and he knows he can rebuild new memories with lois. i also think darkseid is going to be the one who resurrects lex.

Why are people continuing to ignore my posts?!?

I am trying to explain how simple this is to you all.
It is literally extremely simple.

Darkseid doesn't have the power to do that, Epic.
He is not known as the God of the Israelites. :)
He is not the Alpha and Omega. The Beginning and the End.

He has nowhere close to that kind of power.

That said, there's no real reason for a Darkseid changing things storyline.

What's the problem? We just want the show to end nicely and neatly.
There's no reason for convoluted story lines.

Clark Kent is Superman, but only his friends need to know this.
Suspension of Disbelief must be maintained.

Thank you. :)
That is true though.
Not counting the fact he's not powerful enough to do that.

It's somewhat disheartening when I realize I know more about Darkseid than several other people here.

Why are people continuing to ignore my posts?!?

I am trying to explain how simple this is to you all.
It is literally extremely simple.

Darkseid doesn't have the power to do that, Epic.
He is not known as the God of the Israelites. :)
He is not the Alpha and Omega. The Beginning and the End.

He has nowhere close to that kind of power.

That said, there's no real reason for a Darkseid changing things storyline.

What's the problem? We just want the show to end nicely and neatly.
There's no reason for convoluted story lines.

Clark Kent is Superman, but only his friends need to know this.
Suspension of Disbelief must be maintained.

i just think that it's smallville and they're going to do things there way. in the comics he may not be that powerful, but you never know with smallville. jimmy was also not the real jimmy lol. i'm hoping they don't complicate things.

This is a modern take on the Superman legend. In the 21st century it would be virtually impossible for the government not to track down Clark Kent and find out he is Superman.
As for Lex and Lois I prefer that they know as I always found stupid that a pair of glasses would fool the world's greatest criminal mind and the world's greatest reporter.
But I'm sure they will solve things by the end of the series and most of the ppl that know will be mindwiped or something.
I suggest you buy Superman: Secret Identity (one of the few Superman comic book masterpieces) and check out how hard it would be for Superman to mantain his secret identity in today's world.

Smallville is it's universe, interpretation, and story of Clark Kent becoming Superman. Anything goes. This isn't a story any of us know. It's new still.
:doh:

I am sure they will come to some reasonable end and conclusion for the show. I wouldn't think much on some stuff like secret id and all that. Some things will just have to be suspension of belief.

Some things will just have to be suspension of belief.
Thank you, Webhead, I'm glad you understand.

I suggest you buy Superman: Secret Identity (one of the few Superman comic book masterpieces) and check out how hard it would be for Superman to mantain his secret identity in today's world.
Smallville is going towards Silver Age Superman.
Which means Secret Identity is not valid. I'm sure it's an amazing story.

Smallville can't break suspension of Disbelief for anything. I mean, literally, anything.

Having a mindwipe explain things would be worse than Chloe becoming Lois. :)
It would be worse than having the end of the show be revealed as the insane ramblings of Superboy Prime. "I remember when I was a good guy! I remember when I saved people! I'll kill you to Death!"

i just think that it's smallville and they're going to do things there way. in the comics he may not be that powerful, but you never know with smallville
Then how could Clark ever defeat him?
Seriously, not even the Anti-Monitor is capable of that massive change to all minds, everywhere.
You know, the one who wanted to destroy all universes, :) ,and killed Supergirl by firing his lasers...or did he fire a "Kamehameha?" I don't know, I think he had to use some sort of super nonsensical power to hurt Supergirl.
Why not steal Goku's? :)

The concept of Suspension of Disbelief is simple. It cannot be broken, and you cannot explain why no one knows Clark Kent and Superman are the same person.
It it literally that simple.
It needs not to be explained.

Last edited:
People are making this out to be to big of a deal.

Darkseid isn't a *****ebag. So he wouldn't do that. Plus, it's way beyond his powers to knock everyone out on the Planet Earth.

Darkseid?
who's that I haven't seen him at all this season, I thought lois was the big bad considering how much pain she's caused superman fans in these final seasons.

seriously though, Darkseid?
the only villain that could have topped season 8 doomday and season 9 zod...
here we are season 10 and I'm not seeing any topping being done.

like all problems of this type in Superman stories, the solution is to show the world, that Clark Kent is mortal.

Smallville has used this device a zillion times already. ie, Clark loses his powers, everybody sees that he is hurt. Dispelling any 'current' theories they had of the connection b/w clark and superman. etc. It happens in all superman properties.

as far as record, smallville has chloe... weak excuse, I know, but that solves a lot of problems. On the other side of things, Smallville has added a little bit more power to superman's inner circle (namely martha). Her current position solves a lot of the clark kent-superman problems. And he's also got the Justice League early, to help him deal with any fake outs he needs to do to protect the identity.

in the end, superman, smallville or otherwise, is literally fast enough to mess with our heads. Any clever being will be able to use that ability to disprove any theories of Clark and Superman.

and last, one thing smallville has done, is that all the people that would see Clark Kent the most, in the future unwritten world, Perry White and Lois, pretty much know about Clark (lois does, Perry is chummy with martha, he doesn't know, but he's complicit).

I know I'm defending SV, but I like these aspects of the show. The idea that there are powerful people protecting him. But it's still the idea of Superman, and suspension of disbelief. It's just one of those things that you can't change, it's fundamental to the character.

Personal philosophy on which is the disguise, Kent or Superman is an endless debate. It's both, and neither.

Darkseid?
who's that I haven't seen him at all this season, I thought lois was the big bad considering how much pain she's caused superman fans in these final seasons.

seriously though, Darkseid?
the only villain that could have topped season 8 doomday and season 9 zod...
here we are season 10 and I'm not seeing any topping being done.

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

As the Joker says, not sure if you're serious.

Who would complain about Lois? Besides Chlois fans. :) You know, the people who think Chloe is Lois?

Literally, there's no other people who would dare to complain about Lois.

And Darkseid, did you see the last couple of minutes of the first episode this season?
Did you see the episode where his minions mentioned his name?

I mean, I just don't understand.
Also, I laughed at the quote about supermodels in your signature.
Unless whoever you quoted thinks women can't be hot while being a reporter. :)

But it's still the idea of Superman, and suspension of disbelief. It's just one of those things that you can't change, it's fundamental to the character.
Thank you.

I can live with it. As long as they don't go out of their way to explain it.
That's the point of Suspension of disbelief, after all.
Leave it up to the fans.

As told by General Sam Lane...any or all records of Clark and his past are pretty much non-existant and/or "clean". One of the advantages of having a US Senator for a mother.

on a more practical approach...you're talking about a character who's main distinction from one personality to another is whether or not he's wearing glasses.

Suspension of belief was a prerequisite the moment you became a Superman fan.

If you really must explain it, just have Clark come out of the crowd to ask Superman a question at a press conference after Superman's first appearance. How do we do this? Just have J'onn J'onnz portray either Clark or Superman, since he's a shape-shifter. Let's not over complicate it. Either do that or just leave it alone.

As told by General Sam Lane...any or all records of Clark and his past are pretty much non-existant and/or "clean". One of the advantages of having a US Senator for a mother.

And, yet, the government already knows he's a vigilante. Sorry, but I'm not buying that excuse. Also, once Clark shows his face as Superman a lot of people are going to say, "hey, isn't that the kid from Smallville who was involved in every freak and Luthor related incident," "hey, isn't that Lex Luthor's former best friend," "hey, isn't that the son of Senator Martha Kent?"

Catman, people are trying to explain this to you. Suspension of Disbelief.

As said by Lost Son,
Suspension of belief was a prerequisite the moment you became a Superman fan.
To be a Superman fan, you have to accept the suspension of disbelief.
There is no reason for Smallville to address this.
It must not be explained.

As I've said above, The only people who can't understand that concept of suspension of Disbelief are people in a coma, therefor have no need for Suspension of Disbelief, nor any interest in anything outside of their own mind, or politicians, who don't ever use their brain. :)

Now, I'm reasonably certain you are not in a coma. :)
Are you a member of Congress by any chance?
"[FONT=COMIC SANS MS,PALATINO,BOOKMAN OLD STYLE,HELVETICA,ARIAL,TIMES]Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. [/FONT]"
Samuel Clemens, A.K.A. Mark Twain.

I can't really put any more simpler than it needs not ever be addressed.
Unless you want 2.5 million people to punch you in the head for saying they are all stupid. :)
Which is what Smallville will be doing, if they actively try to explain it.

Just let Smallville do what the comics have done, and never explain it.

Last edited:
Smallville is going towards Silver Age Superman.
Which means Secret Identity is not valid. I'm sure it's an amazing story.

Smallville has taken alot from the Silver Age but it's used stuff from all eras of comic books which means everything is valid. In this case, more importantly than any comic book, is that Smallville is placed in today's age. Check the pilot and you can see for yourself.
Which means Secret Identity is valid. Maybe not all aspects of the story of course, but a huge chunk would be. You should check it out, I'm sure you'd love it and would understand why I'm recommending and saying it's pertinent to SV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"