Great Directors of the New Generation

It's unfortunate because I think "Zack and Miri" was really some of his best work. I hope he gets the greenlight for his horror film some day, and I think he'd have a knack for serious character drama if he'd let himself explore that territory.

I was iffier on Z&M. Watching it in theatres, there were parts where I was stunned that they'd been allowed into a major motion picture. I think that breaking away from his usual collaborators will potentially help him. I mean, they may be awesome guys and gals, but they aren't really top-notch talent. It'd be like if James Cameron was still using the same crew as on Piranha 2: The Spawning (Not to imply that Cameron and Smith are equals or anything).

I think his use of new talent in Zack and Miri was part of what I liked about it so much. Craig Robinson almost stole the whole movie for me.

I think Peter Jackson is one of them. I have to think more on this. He know he's been around since the 90's but it wasn't until LOTR when he blew **** up.

Does this mean they have to have been working less than 20 years ago? If so:

Greg Araki
Spike Jonze
Robert Rodriguez
Michel Gondry
Peter Chung
Richard Lanklater

Can't think of any more at the moment.

Jason Reitman and Joe Wright need to be added too.:up:

Does this mean they have to have been working less than 20 years ago?
Not necessarily, but that was how I decided to make my list.

I thought of some "maybes" too:

Stephen Chow
Jon Favreau
Prachea Pinkaew
Jason Reitman
Guy Ritchie
Bryan Singer

Last edited:
I know some people hate Sam Mendes (tell me again, why?), but I quite like his films. He is more of a new Kubrick, than Fincher...

Fincher used to be one of my favorite directors, but with Benjamin Button I lost some faith in him. Zodiac was one the best films of 2007 and then he follows with a film that could'v been called The Pretentious Oscar Bait Film of David Fincher. I couldn't even finish the flick...

I hope he redeems himself with Heavy Metal and other projects he's working on now (sum thrillers).

EDIT: damn double post...

Last edited:
Spike Jonez
Michel Gondry
Chris Nolan should qualify.
Peter Berg is working his way up besides Hancock.
Darren Aronovzky

The other great directors thread got me thinking, what directors do you think are among the best of the current scene? Which do you think will be remembered as the titans and innovators?

My list would have to be, in no particular order:

Darren Aronofsky
Paul Thomas Anderson
David Gordon Green
Kelly Reichardt
Ang Lee
Ryan Fleck
Ramin Bahrani
Sofia Coppola
Christopher Nolan
Wes Anderson
Tomas Alfredson
Gus Van Sant
Todd Haynes

I'm sure I'm forgetting several, and I dunno how much Ang Lee and Gus Van Sant actually count.

Impressive list. I'm a real big David Gordon Green fan, I need to pick up George Washington but the Criterion edition is like $30:csad:

I also like Rian Johnson, but I obviously would like to see Brothers Bloom.

Se7en was fantastic, Fight Club was vastly overrated but very interesting, Zodiac was middling, and Benjamin Button was just awful. Fincher seems to be declining in quality, honestly.

I disagree, I think he is still figuring himself out as a director. His last two movies were slower but still full of beauty and interesting for a patient audience.

Also let's not forget he has a bunch of projects lined up from The Goon to Heavy Metal. He still is himself. Not many directors would go from BB to The Goon.

I think Rian Johnson needs another film or two under his belt, but he's definitely up for consideration.

My List for this Decade

Peter Jackson
Guillermo Del Toro
Christopher Nolan
Quentin Tarantino
Bryan Singer
J.J. Abrams
Zack Snyder
....still thinking

Last edited:
Jason Reitman
Michel Gondry
Christopher Nolan
Peter Jackson

All definitely rising.

Just names I wanted to throw out for nominations:

Doug Liman
Zack Snyder
Timur Bekmambetov
JJ Abrams

Last edited:
Werner Herzog
David Fincher
David Lynch
Zack Snyder(I liked 300, Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen. Sue me)
Christopher Nolan
Coen brothers
Guillermo Del Toro
Brad Bird
Paul Greengrass
Ridley Scott
Danny Boyle
Quentin Tarantino
Edgar Wright
Peter Jackson

Are Herzog, Lynch, and Scott really of the new generation? They've had acclaimed movies as far back as the '70s.

Yeah I don't think they count. I watched Snow Angels a few weeks back and I definetley agree with David Gordon Green.

J.J. Abrams will continue to rise.

I'm sure he's been mentioned before but Tomas Alfredson, the brillant director from "Let The Right One In."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"