H.P. Lovecraft in film

snap-hiss

let's be honest
Reaction score
There have been a number of attempts at Lovecraft's put on screen, but nothing really hitting the mark. It is inevitable that someone will get it right eventually, and I feel it could very well be a defining moment in American horror cinema, much the same as, say, in recent history the Japanese horror explosion dominated for quite some time.

I understand the most popular of his work is the Call of Cthulhu, however I feel there are other options which would work quite well.

The Whisperer in the Dark- This story reminds me of a great episode of the X-Files. One of those episodes that wasn't connected at all to the core story, but was really scary and interesting. Reminiscent of the Mothman Prophecies.
The Thing on the Doorstep - Great story with a neat twist ending.
The Dunwich Horror- very interesting and creepy, some excellent imagery
The Haunter in the Dark - This in some ways is the scariest of Lovecraft's work IMO that I've read thus far
The Shadow Over Innsmouth - Another story which reminds me of the X-Files, great suspense

There have been a number of attempts at Lovecraft's put on screen, but nothing really hitting the mark. It is inevitable that someone will get it right eventually, and I feel it could very well be a defining moment in American horror cinema, much the same as, say, in recent history the Japanese horror explosion dominated for quite some time.

I understand the most popular of his work is the Call of Cthulhu, however I feel there are other options which would work quite well.

The Whisperer in the Dark- This story reminds me of a great episode of the X-Files. One of those episodes that wasn't connected at all to the core story, but was really scary and interesting. Reminiscent of the Mothman Prophecies.
The Thing on the Doorstep - Great story with a neat twist ending.
The Dunwich Horror- very interesting and creepy, some excellent imagery
The Haunter in the Dark - This in some ways is the scariest of Lovecraft's work IMO that I've read thus far
The Shadow Over Innsmouth - Another story which reminds me of the X-Files, great suspense

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1118070/

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Cthulhu-..._5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1198428879&sr=8-5
badass.

How about you go indepth and tell us what happens, because, obviously, none of us are going to read his boring drivel. :)

1988's 'The Unamable' was Lovecraft.

Creature used to scare the bejezus out of me when I was a kid. They had a cardboard standee of it in the local video store.

Doesnt change the fact that the adaption was cheap with a capital 'C' though.

1988's 'The Unamable' was Lovecraft.

Creature used to scare the bejezus out of me when I was a kid. They had a cardboard standee of it in the local video store.

Doesnt change the fact that the adaption was cheap with a capital 'C' though.

It seems there was a sequel made as well...The Unnamable II: The Statement of Randolph Carter (1993)

Small press comics/ manga artist Jason Thompson once self-published a graphic novel version of The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath that was later adapted to full-length animated movie. I never got to see the finished piece, but his work on the limited series was impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"