Hacker Drama 'Mr. Robot' - New Original Series on USA

It was a very good finale. It's just the final scene wasn't quite clear to me. I don't know why, the White Rose stuff with Angela didn't automatically connect with my mind. I was a bit confused. Was Angela in on something the whole time since the beginning of the season or was it something her and White Rose talked about?

This season was a mixed bag. 12 episodes was too many. It should have been ten like the last season. It just didn't have the punch that the first season did and not everything landed in its reveals. Not even the whole python thing.

Last edited:
I have to agree.I enjoyed this season,but not as much as the first.I'm interested to see where this goes.

I am somewhat torn over whether or not I like Dom.

I do like the fact the FBI was shown to be quite competent in this world. The Evidence Board was an awesome reveal.

Holy **** balls muther ****er.

That was crazy good, and season2.0 was a masterpiece. I don't care what folks say about the jail side tangent... it was all worth it. Oh Tyrell... you dirty bugger.

So pumped for more Dom and Joey Bada$$. And, Angela has sure moved some chess pieces. Plus... all of the craziness with Darlene and how the FBI was actually pretty good at their job.

Bravo Esmail, Bravo.

I thought it was great too, even with some of its indulgences.

Also, thanks for the podcast summary/rec.

EDIT: Having thought about it, I take it back. If we didn't have the 12 episodes, we wouldn't have gotten any deepening of the supporting cast to the point where we could have things like an episode without Elliot. As somebody on another board put it, I have to appreciate the utter self-immolation that the show committed in trying to push into a more dynamic place. Considering what the show was trying to do, I thought the pacing was *just* right, though I can definitely see how it's also not for everyone.

Last edited:
All right, time to throw my stone into the mix.

I, personally, did not enjoy this season at all. I will admit, there were a few things that made me smile. I liked the whole prison thing when it was revealed but then, as I started thinking more and more into it, it actually was kind of cheaply written. (As was the whole season practically.)

As others have stated, I think 12 episodes were too many. They should cut back down to 10 episodes. There was some fat this season that could have been trimmed. I think also too, there is a craft when writing twists. Twists should not be plentiful...they should be carefully strewn through out the writing and you should pick and choose.

It's like having ten great ideas but only room enough for four...yet you're stubborn and you try to cram all ten of them in. As others stated above, this season felt VERY different from the first. The first season reminded me of a modern day take on Fight Club. Granted all of those twists you saw coming a mile away and I think Esmail probably took that critique to heart.

So when this season rolled around, he made sure to present the information in a way that wouldn't have the viewer onto it. Personally, I think it's cheap. I think it's not trying hard enough to work through the writing and make it come across cohesively, organically and logically. Personally, I'm tired of the "over-the-top-everyone-is-in-on-this-plan" plot line. The Angela bit at the end rubbed me the wrong way and I don't like the direction of this "Dark Army"/"Illuminati" direction they took it in.

I understand that was alluded to in the first season but, again, the first season felt like a Fight Club. It felt practical, it felt real. To a certain extent, it felt like something that could actually potentially happen in our day and age. Now, now I'm just like...Jesus, this is getting out of hand. It's spiraling out of control and becoming bigger and bigger.

And that F.B.I. reveal...that just irritated me. As the viewer, you're seeing these people's struggles day to day in trying to piece it all together yet, magically at the end, they're like "We've known this whole time." Again, I felt that was just cheap writing. A plot line introduced to add drama and tension when in all actuality, there really wasn't any.

I'm looking forward to season 3, in hopes that Esmail pulls the reigns back a little, and really contains the story.

So when this season rolled around, he made sure to present the information in a way that wouldn't have the viewer onto it. Personally, I think it's cheap. I think it's not trying hard enough to work through the writing and make it come across cohesively, organically and logically. Personally, I'm tired of the "over-the-top-everyone-is-in-on-this-plan" plot line. The Angela bit at the end rubbed me the wrong way and I don't like the direction of this "Dark Army"/"Illuminati" direction they took it in.

I would agree, if not for the fact that like us viewers, Elliot himself is not always "onto" whatever's going on around him and within him. It makes sense. Many of the various plot threads involving other characters have also been intricately woven and presented. Rather than being cheap, I'd say it has amounted to some pretty creative and unique storytelling thus far.

As for the Angela/Dark Army thing, I'm confident that there's more to it than, "Angela was in the Dark Army all along!"

And that F.B.I. reveal...that just irritated me. As the viewer, you're seeing these people's struggles day to day in trying to piece it all together yet, magically at the end, they're like "We've known this whole time." Again, I felt that was just cheap writing. A plot line introduced to add drama and tension when in all actuality, there really wasn't any.

It's not clear how long the FBI has known about everything we saw on the board.

I thought this was an interesting juxtaposition...

tumblr_odz796Etth1qiaxzfo4_250.gif
tumblr_odz796Etth1qiaxzfo5_250.gif

So this was a decent season as a whole.

This is still one of the better shows on TV. Rami Malek, Christian Slater, the E Corp executives, the dude who plays Tyrell, and Tyrell's wife are still great acting wise. The cinematography is still great. Hell all of the technical aspects are phenomenal

My main problems were:
1) When one of the characters/actors I mentioned above were not on screen, I was just not interesting. The rest of characters and actors are just not that interesting to me. ESPECIALLY Angela. Nothing Angela did interested me this season. But I couldve been fine with that if Angela didn't get the life sucked out of her performance this season. Now she just seems as stoic as Elliot and that's just not interesting to me to have another stoic, deadpan, deer in the headlight look having character. It reminds me in True Detective S2 when they tried to make all the main characters just Rust Cohle rip offs and it just didn't work.
Grace Glummer also is just not a strong actor and her character of Dom, especially in terms of performance, were just kinda of cringe worthy to me. They also killed off the one likeable character (Gideon) which kinda sucked.

2) The plot wasn't as tight. It took 9 episodes for Elliot to get into the plot proper and while some of the prison stuff was interesting I think that's way too long to spend on a major tangent. Also, I forget it was on here or another site where people said they don't care about Elliot, so they didn't mind him being sidelined, I have to call BS on that. Elliot is this show, I dont understand how you can like this show and say "I don't care about Elliot...But I digress
And the whole prison twist, while kinda interesting, I kinda just think "why". Why have it go on for that long, why have it at all other than to have other characters plots catch up which they probably couldve done in a different way? It's at the point where I think that you can ignore most of Elliot's prison scenes from the first part of the season and not be lost if you pick up in ep. 9. That's not brilliant to me that's just bad plotting
The whole mystery of whether Tyrell is alive or not kinda dragged (drug?) on too long especially when I and mostly everyone knew he was still alive

3) It was over indulgent. Kinda going with what I was saying before there were just times where I think they went on too much of a tangent for tangent's sake. Like that whole sitcom bit from that one episode...sorry but that was just stupid. I dont get why people really like that scene. It didn't really serve much of a purpose and it went on too .
I hope Season 3 returns to 10 episodes

In short (or at least shorter): this was not bad, but it had a lot of steps in the wrong direction. Eps 9-12 were great, (I love the season finale and how they played with whether Tyrell is real or not. [BLACKOUT]I'm really glad he is real[/BLACKOUT] before that for me it was kinda hit or miss. There's still a lot of greatness in this. S1 is still one of the greatest seasons of TV ever IMO (on that note: I don't wanna hear anyone saying "Nyah your expecations were too high for this season" I think that's just a lazy excuse people try and give) and Esmail & co. are still fantastic. I hope they do listen to some of the complaints that seem to be general consensus things among the people who had problems

Looking forward to my rewatch

My hopes for season 3 is that Esmail doesn't worry about giving another twist, the season is shortened back to 10 episodes, less solo screen time for Angela & Dom, more Tyrell (I mean that's pretty much a give-in) and Elliot isn't so sidelined through the season

Last edited:
It was a very good finale. It's just the final scene wasn't quite clear to me. I don't know why, the White Rose stuff with Angela didn't automatically connect with my mind. I was a bit confused. Was Angela in on something the whole time since the beginning of the season or was it something her and White Rose talked about?

This season was a mixed bag. 12 episodes was too many. It should have been ten like the last season. It just didn't have the punch that the first season did and not everything landed in its reveals. Not even the whole python thing.

Im pretty sure it's something her and White Rose talked about

I thought this was an interesting juxtaposition...

tumblr_odz796Etth1qiaxzfo4_250.gif
tumblr_odz796Etth1qiaxzfo5_250.gif

...beautiful.

Kane, can you do a avatar gif of Elliot's POV at the end when Mr. Robot starts flickering in/out and disappears.?

Last edited:
Im pretty sure it's something her and White Rose talked about

I don't remember much of that conversation. I think because it was just directed in such a way where the weirdness over took it. Did the little girl really need to be there?

I don't remember much of that conversation. I think because it was just directed in such a way where the weirdness over took it. Did the little girl really need to be there?

I think that convo where Angela is filled in was off screen. I thought White Rose and them filled her in during that weird interrogation scene

Oh, I got that but everything before and it's possible significance blew past me when I was watching it, hence why I don't remember the convo that helps set up the twist at the end. It was just kind of forgettable when it shouldn't have been.

My favorite "oh s***" moment of the season...

tumblr_oe7vlp2xdz1rmvaupo7_r1_400.gif

I finally just finished season 2.....I'm not sure I'm returning next season.

In my opinion this season took a dramatic dip and it was due to overindulgence on Esmail's part. I have no doubt that Esmail has a plan and knows the story he is trying to tell, and this show is still one of the best looking, most atmospheric tv series ever made, but this season was just too much for me. I felt season one was one of the best season one's ever, I thought this show was well on its way to being the next Breaking Bad. Everything just clicked perfectly into place. However, season two left me feeling lukewarm.

The pacing and the characters were just. so. frustrating! I felt every episode we were just watching characters stare into space and give robotic (pun intended) line delivery. It reminded me a lot of It Follows, a recent horror film with a very similar vibe from the score to the atmosphere to the acting. Very slow paced and the actors not giving you anything to latch onto. It Follows got wide acclaim but I felt a similar frustration with that movie in that I felt here in that everything just felt like such a slog to get through. I kept wanting to scream at the tv "will somebody just freaking SAY or DO something, already?!" I fear that Esmail was just trying his hardest to get everyone onboard in season one and season two was really the type of show he wanted to do and this is the type of quality to expect from now on. If so, then this just is not for me.

I don't mind tv or movies that are slow paced and take their time with the story, but if you're going to slow the story down then you better make the characters engaging enough for me to latch onto so that I enjoy watching and following them.

Again, I'm sure this was all very deliberate and intentional on the creator's part but if season three is going to be like two, I may have to bow out here. I'll keep an ear out to see what people are saying but I'm not excited going into the next season like I was after watching the phenominal, almost perfect season one.

Just my personal thoughts.

‘Mr. Robot’ Season 3: Bobby Cannavale Boards, BD Wong Upped To Regular, Series Returns In October

In addition, BD Wong, who plays Whiterose, the enigmatic transgender leader of the Chinese hacking org The Dark Army, on the show is being elevated to a series regular role.

However, Mr. Robot fans will have to wait until October to watch season 3, which will play out for 10 episodes. The previous two seasons of Mr. Robot launched during July.

Mr. Robot EP and scribe Esmail will also direct all 10 episodes, which was the case in season 2.

Mr. Robot: Get your first look at Elliot in season 3

lskdfj.jpg

“Season 3 is about Elliot trying to bounce back and fight against the people who have been using him,” said Esmail, who reveals that a central theme for the 10-episode run (which premieres in October) is disintegration. “Elliot isn’t going to take this lying down.” It’s a safe bet he’ll be sitting in front of a computer, though.

that trailer looks awesome

Mr. Robot Season 3 returns in October!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"