Mogwai

Fanboy
Reaction score
Henson Co. picks up 'Happytime Murders'

Comedic puppet noir not intended for the kids

By Borys Kit
Oct 14, 2008, 08:15 PM ET
Updated: Oct 14, 2008, 10:28 PM ET

The Jim Henson Co. has picked up a spec that might signal a daring turn into adult territory for the company behind Kermit the Frog and Fozzie Bear.

"The Happytime Murders" is a comedic film noir murder mystery that will fall under the company's Henson Alternative banner, a division that develops projects not intended for children. Brian Henson is on board to direct.

Written by Todd Berger from a story by Dee Austin Robertson and Berger, the story takes place in a world where humans and puppets co-exist, with the puppets viewed as second-class citizens. When the puppet cast of an '80s children's TV show called "The Happytime Gang" begins to get murdered one by one, a disgraced LAPD detective-turned-private eye puppet -- with a drinking problem, no less -- takes on the case.

Brian Henson, Lisa Henson and Jason Lust are producing.

Robertson will executive produce.

This would not be the first time that Henson is delving into more adult fare. In 1982, the company made "The Dark Crystal," which featured a dark tone and, in one scene, nudity. But "Happytime" also will have an absurdist and comedic quality to it, comparable to Broadway's "Avenue Q," and will take cues from such movies as "L.A. Confidential" and "Pulp Fiction."

Berger, repped by the Kohner Agency and Kaplan/Perrone, wrote "Epic Proportions" for End Game Entertainment with John Landis directing and is writing the DVD project "Kung Fu Panda: Secrets of the Furious Five" for DreamWorks Animation.

Last edited:
God, the synopsis is so similar to 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit". It's not even funny..

I hope Kermit is the drunken, washed up private eye/cop.

Sounds interesting but what ever happened with those guys who did finding sarah movie said they were doing a muppets film?

God, the synopsis is so similar to 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit". It's not even funny..

Yea, the synopsis definitely screams rip-off. Hopefully, they'll take it somewhere different in execution.

the title of this thread is misleading because Jim Henson Productions no longer owns the rights to the Muppets, which is now a Disney property.

so the whole company isn't owned by disney?

the title of this thread is misleading because Jim Henson Productions no longer owns the rights to the Muppets, which is now a Disney property.
Damn, Disney owns everything don't they?

Sounds interesting but what ever happened with those guys who did finding sarah movie said they were doing a muppets film?

Jason Segel (Marshall from How I Met Your Mother) andhttp://www.imdb.com/name/nm0831557/ Nicholas Stoller (director of Forgetting Sarah Marshall) are writing a Muppets script.

Jason called in to the radio show I listen to the other morning and said he and Nicholas were about 4 drafts into the script but didn't mention any time line for production. He said it was meant to be a "throwback" to the older movies from the late 70's/early 80's with the Muppets just "putting on a show".

This could be interesting, though it does sound a lot like WFRR. Except it's not geared towards children.

It could be fun, but it is definitely a huge rip off of Roger Rabbit, which cheapens it IMO

And who says cocaine isn't still prominient in Hollywood?

Ooooh...I am sold on this film. =) I like muppets.

This could be interesting, though it does sound a lot like WFRR. Except it's not geared towards children.

Was Roger Rabbit really geared towards kids?

Roger Rabbit was aimed for kids, in the 80s kind of way. When I say that, a film like that can get away with a lot of adult situations.

I am waiting for this movie. Another in a long line of anticipated movies.

They really need to buy back the Muppets, it makes me sad to see what there doing to them. But I'll give this film a chance, I liked that Dark Crystal film they mentioned.

I remember reading the other day or so that the dark crystal sequel that been in works for a few yrs now is likely not going to happen. As for this film sounds interesting and i cant wait to see what they do with it.

I was interested till I read it wasn't about the actual muppets in this situation, now I don't care.

Wow, the world has gotten so bad we even got drunken, murdering, gritty muppets. Who would have thought the day would ever come.......................sigh......................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"