Harley Quinn's solo adventures all in her head?

Milk Tray Guy

70s Man of Action
Reaction score
Harley's Rebirth title certainly seems like it could be in its own little Harley-verse. But there's a theory going around that the weird stuff in her solo book is actually just a fantasy in her own head, and that really she's at Belle Reve.

Any opinions?

:hq:

Harley's Rebirth title certainly seems like it could be in its own little Harley-verse. But there's a theory going around that the weird stuff in her solo book is actually just a fantasy in her own head, and that really she's at Belle Reve.

Any opinions?

:hq:

Makes sense. Harley is batguano insane. The Joker treats her like crap and she views his abuse as loving gestures. Harley definitely views the world through neon-pink stunner shades.

I find the idea pretty interesting. When I picked up the first issue I thought Okay... then through issues 2 and 3 I thought there's no way this is main continuity! :funny: So I settled down to the idea that she was in her own little Harley-verse. Then I saw the idea touted online that the whole thing is just a fantasy of her warped mind. As the title's gone on I've started think that may be right!

Any other Harley readers have any thoughts on this?

I would love to have some input on this, but I stopped reading Harley, after Little Black Book.

That's a shame! :funny:

May I ask, what made you stop?

I don't like how DC is utilizing her character lately and Little Black Book, kinda hammered the rest of the nail in the coffin.

And before I get into my rant, let me note, that I am all for character development and see a character branch out from what we all know.

However, when it came to Little Black Book, I thought we were going to get an actual team up story line with Wonder Woman. We see it a bit but it isn't there for the most part. We get a nice backstory of how Harley idolized Diana and brought more of a deeper outlining of how Harley can get fixated on people, even BEFORE she met The Joker. I liked that.

But what I could not stand is the fact that recent Harley writers are going back and forth with her ability to either be a stand-alone character or a sidekick of sorts. Like, take the time to develop her as her own character so that she has a solid base, and then go and have her do a team up.
But what I have taken in is, she has some form of dependency on the other character every time she does a team up.

I remember when her New52 Suicide Squad run came out, that the whole aim of her character in that run was to separate her from the Joker and from that sort of dependency. NOT COMPLETELY, but to a degree.

But now it seems like every character she comes across in her stories, she somehow gets attached to them in a way she did to Joker.

It's just not to my liking.

However that theory you mentioned earlier, about her being in Belle Reve and she is just imagining all these adventures she is having, would be pretty cool. On the other side of the coin, it would kinda be a slap to the face. Like all the events and stuff she was involved in isn't actually real and isn't canon to Rebirth??? How on Earth would you explain that afterwards?

Last edited:
We get a nice backstory of how Harley idolized Diana and brought more of a deeper outlining of how Harley can get fixated on people, even BEFORE she met The Joker. I liked that.
she has some form of dependency on the other character every time she does a team up.
Absolutely, I think that's a fascinating aspect of her character - one that I'd like to see explored more in some depth, maybe in one or more of her 'darker' tales.

In Harley 'Rebirth' they continued with her striking out on her own, and those people that she does have with her very much work for her. But those people are so weird; a talking egg, a talking stuffed beaver, a 'Popeye clone', a Deadpool lookalike named Red Tool, and of course the 'Gang of Harleys'. And the adventures are bizarre. Even for a comic book. Even for a Harley comic book.

On the other side of the coin, it would kinda be a slap to the face. Like all the events and stuff she was involved in isn't actually real and isn't canon to Rebirth??? How on Earth would you explain that afterwards?
Well, it's weird (of course! :funny:). She has people from main continuity turn up (as of course they would if she was imagining), but nothing that happens in their adventures together seems to have any impact on any other titles whatsoever. There's no crossover with Suicide Squad (in fact Harley's character seems far 'lighter' and 'fun' in her own title than in SS) - she does seem to be in her own little world. So I don't think that would be a problem...

Absolutely, I think that's a fascinating aspect of her character - one that I'd like to see explored more in some depth, maybe in one or more of her 'darker' tales.

In Harley 'Rebirth' they continued with her striking out on her own, and those people that she does have with her very much work for her. But those people are so weird; a talking egg, a talking stuffed beaver, a 'Popeye clone', a Deadpool lookalike named Red Tool, and of course the 'Gang of Harleys'. And the adventures are bizarre. Even for a comic book. Even for a Harley comic book.

Well, it's weird (of course! :funny:). She has people from main continuity turn up (as of course they would if she was imagining), but nothing that happens in their adventures together seems to have any impact on any other titles whatsoever. There's no crossover with Suicide Squad (in fact Harley's character seems far 'lighter' and 'fun' in her own title than in SS) - she does seem to be in her own little world. So I don't think that would be a problem...

I mean now that you mention those characters, especially "Red Tool", it does allow that theory to hold more water. Like......seriously. Those characters make it more believable that perhaps she is making this all up in her head.

I did notice that too. It would be interesting that what she does would put some sort of effect on other character titles or at least do something a bit more out of her element. Me personally, I would like her to see doing more villainous stuff again but in her mind she thinks she is doing good.

Me personally, I would like her to see doing more villainous stuff again but in her mind she thinks she is doing good.

Yeah, maybe have an adventure where she's ridiculously heroic, saves the day against apparently insurmountable odds, then in the very last panel see the 'real world' destruction and misery that she's actually just caused.

Yeah, maybe have an adventure where she's ridiculously heroic, saves the day against apparently insurmountable odds, then in the very last panel see the 'real world' destruction and misery that she's actually just caused.

SOMETHING LIKE THAT, would get me back into the character.

That could actually lead into a deep story arc about an examination of mental illness and schizophrenia. Would be pretty ballsy on DC's part, but Harley's such a "fluffy" character that I'm not sure they'd want to do that. Maybe for a one shot or an annual.

I hope this is non-canon. It would kill me if "humorous" scenes like:

www.pasteboard.co/2i2q7t0DP.jpg

is something the most devoted-to-main-canon fan needs to witness when he/she is reading all of Rebirth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"