Has this movie redeemed Aquaman’s reputation?

Discussion in 'Aquaman' started by Silvermoth, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Vaibow Registered

I think pop culture has never really been too kind to AM, always mocking him based on the appearance - underpants, fins, blonde - he was seen as silly, impractical, maybe 'girlie'. Anyone who has read comics in the last 20 know this isn't so. It's basically judging a book by its cover.

What this movie did, is it had an actor that is regarded as bad ass regardless of being an actor - like his roles have always been believable and true to his core and he became AM, made the character his own, with thanks to JL for introducing him and not giving us 'classic' AM. So by the time he was wearing the gold, riding a seahorse, people were already into it - it didn't matter.

It's almost ironically a reinvention using the source material. I'm so happy this succeeded as i wasn't interested in this movie at all... not one bit. JL had ruined my love for DC and i felt the universe was dying and that the bloggers/youtubers, reviewers were going to slate it and sabotage it, i just couldn't bare to go into a movie, hopefully see enough to like what i saw, then walk out and be told it was terrible by the media and see it flop around me.

I wish DC took this approach with superman - before he actually wears the suit, just big him up so much that his character, personality transcended everything, that his disguise worked and that superman and his suit made sense.. anyways, each to their own.

frankgutz likes this.
  2. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uh... huuuuuh...

Karelia, MadderMaximus and frankgutz like this.
  3. Micromind New World New Rules

Before DCEU, WB had "Justice League Mortal" in production stage, they had hired actors, costumes were ready, they pulled the plug just before shooting.
    [​IMG]

Nevertheless, the actor chosen for Aquaman (Santiago Cabrera) and Aquaman's "look" was not too different from Momoa's Aquaman look. We would have got a bearded Aquaman with long brown hair anyway.

Here he is with the rest of the cast and director George Miller.

[​IMG]

#28 Micromind, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    frankgutz likes this.
  4. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

It's nice to know that Zack Snyder had a time machine and traveled back to the 1990's to write comic books under the pen name Peter David.

MadderMaximus likes this.
  5. Silvermoth Avenger

Imagine how close we came to disaster

[​IMG]

6. Micromind New World New Rules

Could have worked on Aquaman - TV series (like Smallville's Aquaman) but for movies ? No.

Both George Miller and Zack Snyder (and later on James Wan) were for a bearded long haired Aquaman based on Peter David's Aquaman.

#31 Micromind, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    MadderMaximus and frankgutz like this.
  7. FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

In my opinion, the surfer hippie islander angle for a water-based superhero works way better than blonde Superman underwater.

This dude is the perfect Aquaman.

8. Silvermoth Avenger

Same. I think some surfers have sort of a noble quality to them, some of them are like philosophers and have a connection with water. Perfect for Aquaman

9. Willi Berg On The Run

After the movie, I think of Aquaman with his tremendous physical power and fight skills, how awesomely he commands underwater life, how he earned the classic costume and the trident, and how he helps others as he unites two worlds.

He was always like that, but to see it come to life in such a way and be embraced by the general public is incredibly gratifying for a DC fan.

Yes, there is room for improvement in the movies. There is a chance to build on that, and making it richer and more complex. But it's a great start, and the impact this movie has had is undeniable.

10. Claude_Speed Registered

Thanks for proving my point.

Caucasian =/= Polynesian
    Blonde hair =/= Dark hair
    Blue eyes =/= Yellow eyes
    No tattoos =/= Tattoos

Not to mention the Aquabro personality. You'd have a point if Chris Hemsworth was playing Aquaman.

Cheers.

#35 Claude_Speed, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  11. Claude_Speed Registered

I think they could have portrayed Aquaman in a more comic accurate way without going full Ken doll. Case point:

am.jpg

I'm not saying that's the guy who should have played Aquaman, but that there are people that have the looks and don't look like boy band members.

12. Silvermoth Avenger

I think after the movie made a billion dollars at the box office that enough would be enough to confirm momoa was the right choice. I don’t think Hunnam would have got those numbers or acted as well.

Plus there will be plenty of opportunities for hunnam to appear in other movies I’m sure

13. Claude_Speed Registered

The movie is making a lot of money because it's a fun blockbuster/CBM with impressive visuals. Not because of Momoa's performance/portrayal.

Although I think he did a good job and was likeable, I don't think Momoa's presence made that much of a difference from a financial standpoint. The movie had all the ingredients to be a box office hit.

#38 Claude_Speed, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  14. harlequinade DayGirl

I think all of the women who went to see it would disagree. My mother would never go see it if Jason wasn't there lol

frankgutz likes this.
  15. Claude_Speed Registered

I think not. I know women who don't find Momoa attractive. Plus he's been in films that flopped.

An attractive lead actor alone will simply not take a movie past 1B. Even Chris Hemsworth, who women go absolutely crazy for, has been in movies that flopped. Hell even Brad Pitt has had finacially disappointing movies.

frankgutz likes this.
  16. Mysteryman Registered

Momoa may have helped bring in audience members.
    But if the movie was bad, I mean a real stinker, it would not have made a billion dollars.

17. Willi Berg On The Run

These are all hypotheticals at this point. I understand Aquaman fans who may have wanted a blonde Aquaman very strict to the comics. But that is not what we got. Momoa was chosen to counter some perceived negativity regarding Aquaman as a 'joke' character. Ultimately, Wan and Momoa have succeeded in countering that.

18. Kirk Langstrom FRANCINE!!!!

I never thought he was a joke character to begin with. Been a fan of the character for 50 years.

Willi Berg and MadderMaximus like this.
  19. Silvermoth Avenger

I didn’t think so either but it’s pretty obvious lots of other people did.

Also on momoa, it’s pretty silly that people have spent so long saying Robert Downey Jnr is a genius and iron man wouldn’t be as much of a success without him but apparently anyone could replace Momoa and the movie would still be as exactly as successful

frankgutz likes this.
  20. Manasrepublic Registered

Aquaman won’t work without Momoa. He is this generation’s aquaman. Recasting maybe 15 years from now fine. But there is a definite X-factor or some genius combination of marketing, playing to Momoa’s strengths and how he was depicted that has helped draw some of the audience in. Actors often need the right platform and things to synergize via marketing, film content, looks and highlighting the USPs of their personalities to become a draw for some audiences

Micromind, Silvermoth and frankgutz like this.
  21. Lilbaz Registered

Just watched it. Thought it was bad. Enjoyed it to an extent but it was bad. Same as venom.

Was hoping we'd moved beyond this.

22. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Uh... huh...

The long hair, the beard, the costuming and styling... NOTHING like those pics of AM from closing in on 20 years ago, right?

I bet you've never even once so much as read one single issue of any run of Aquaman.

The pose of authenticity. Scourge of the fanboy world.

23. Willi Berg On The Run

It's very easy to say now that Momoa's casting made no difference and someone like Charlie Hunnam could've been in the role and it still would've have made over $1billion. I really don't think you can underestimate Momoa's casting i.e. Polynesian, multi-ethnic, diverse...and the effect that would have had on international audiences, in places like China, where it owes so much of its success. You may not think so but the proof is in the pudding and the studios would likely see it as a major factor in its success in terms of international marketing.

Micromind likes this.
  24. Claude_Speed Registered

Was that even necessary though?

Aquaman wasn't ridiculed for being blonde, otherwise The Flash, Cap, Thor, etc. would all be ridiculed. Aquaman jokes were about his powers, which were considered silly and useless on land. You know like talking to the fishy....

Ironically, Momoa's Aquaman still has those same powers and even the traditional suit, which means changing his looks was completely unnecessary. I think Snyder kinda misdiagnosed Aquaman's credibility problem. He went like "Aquaman is a joke then I'll get a dude that is big and imposing to fix that", but again, the jokes were about his powers, not his physique.

25. Claude_Speed Registered

RDJ financial success as Iron Man was build up and had a big franchise to back it up. First 2 Iron Man films both made less than 700M. The 3rd made over 1B because it was ridding the massive success of The Avengers, in which RDJ had a major role.

So RDJ wasn't this billion dollar king when he first started, even when his portrayal has been widely embraced. To suggest Momoa is the reason the first Aquaman movie ever has made over 1B is groundless and silly.

Aquaman is a very fun movie and it has very impressive visuals that people never saw before. That's a perfect recipe for success.