HBO's 1970s Rock & Roll Series From Scorsese/Winter

Yeah, I love everything about this footage. My most anticipated show of next year next to True Detective season 3 for sure. Looks like Goodfellas meets the music industry.

Well, I was anticipating this show and I thought the first episode really delivered. Cannavale was awesome in it. Scorsese's direction was pitch perfect. It was a really good start, even if the ending was a little out there. I'm just hoping the next episode keeps up the pace without him at the helm.

This was pretty good. Felt like an extended version of the helicopter bit from Goodfellas in terms of pacing. Still some of it felt flat to me. I look forward to more, hopeful that Terrence Winter keeps the narrative tighter than some of the mid season episodes of Boardwalk Empire.

Also, holy **** was that really Andrew Dice Clay?

I liked it. Scorsese's directing really elevated the lesser script at times. It could have been shorter. The sub plot with Rogers was unnecessary and the whole murder thing just felt easy and tacked on to create drama. Outside that and a few things a solid pilot.

Really liked the pilot. It's off to a great start.

I liked it. Scorsese's directing really elevated the lesser script at times. It could have been shorter. The sub plot with Rogers was unnecessary and the whole murder thing just felt easy and tacked on to create drama. Outside that and a few things a solid pilot.
This !!! It tried to pull a Goodfellas with a murder affecting the characters later in the series but i didn't feel it was needed. Bobby Cannavale is awesome though, so is Juno Temple and the overall feel of the series. Dialogue is pretty good if not great (although not as good as the Wolf of Wall Street) and it has the Scorsese's exuberance as a huge plus. The Pilot looked beautiful.

Well, I'm a big blues fan so the music was amazing. Worth it for the tunes alone. :)

Wow. That first episode was the ****. Bravo Scorsese, bravo!

Sha-Labauff-Clapping.gif

Ratings weren't so hot for the premiere, with only 764,000 viewers.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/hbo-vinyl-premiere-low-ratings.html

Granted, it did go up against The Walking Dead (and will continue to do so for most of its run) but if it doesn't improve this could be a one-and-done. It doesn't help that the reviews are mostly average too.

Yes, HBO didn't do the series any favours by airing it on Valentine's Day, against the mid-season premiere of The Walking Dead, the NBA All-Star Game and on a 3-day holiday weekend. Plus it was a 2 hour pilot.

But...

With everyone involved, the marketing and that HBO dramas usually launch north of a million viewers it is a disappointment. HBO waited until now to launch the show instead of early January and could've switched the low rated Girls/Togetherness to air at 8 and air Vinyl at 9. Showtime's Billions rated higher this Sunday at a million viewers.

The show was uneven, not terrible but not great either. Clearly this appealed to a niche audience who love early 70s music, that's the hook - that seems to be what people enjoyed the most. I think 10 years ago, this is a hit on HBO but now it feels dated.

I havent watched the premiere yet, but as long as Olivia Wilde and Juno Temple get naked on acreen before this is canceled Ill be happy.

Cool I guess. I liked the first episode.

I wasn't bowled over by the pilot (mainly because of the script, scorsese's directing definitely elevated the material) but some of the characters and their potential storylines (juno temple and ato essandoh's) are worth giving the show a few more episodes .

Of course they're going to renew it. It's ****ing Terence Winter, Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger. Who is going to say no to those three?

i liked the premiere for the most part. the last 40 or so minutes were excellent and really set the tone for the rest of the season, but the first hour really kinda dragged in some parts

with the upcoming episodes being an hour rather than two hours long, i think we'll get a much better paced set of episodes.

Cyborg Ray Fisher?

Jesus, Cannavale was a freight train for that first half hour.

Jesus, Cannavale was a freight train for that first half hour.

Hahaha I was just thinking the same thing. Bobby Cannavale unleashed! Oh man I love this show. I can't get enough - especially that speech he gave to the AR reps.

Apparently the soundtrack is already available for this on iTunes. A pleasant surprise, I picked up almost half of it including that great New York Dolls cover by David Johansen, Personality Crisis. The music on this show is awesome! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"