Comics Help Wanted: Which X-Men are still dead? [SPOILERS]

Lorendiac

Civilian
Reaction score
The SPOILERS warning is in the title because this thread may well attract replies about things that have happened in stories published within the last few weeks. There are no fresh Spoilers in this first post, though - but if you keep reading this thread, and stumble across Spoilers in somebody else's reply later on, don't say I didn't warn you! :)

One of these days I will do another update of my X-Men Fatality Timeline. I've got several items already waiting to be added to the next list of times when X-Men have died and come back from the dead, and it occurred to me that this might be a good time to ask for feedback on which former X-Men are, in fact, supposed to be stone cold dead at this exact moment in the modern continuity. According to my Third Draft, there are 14 (including one doubtful case).

01. Changeling (died in X-Men #42 in 1968 while impersonating Professor X)
02. Thunderbird I (died in X-Men #95 in 1975)
03. Cypher (died in New Mutants #60 in 1988)
04. Madelyne Pryor (died in X-Factor #38 in 1988)
05. The Carol-Copy (my name for the copy of Carol Danvers's personality that spent years sharing space inside Rogue's skull. Died in Uncanny X-Men #269 in 1990)
06. Illyana Rasputin (died in Uncanny X-Men #303 in 1993. Oddly enough, she died at such a tender age as to suggest that she was never going to become Magik after all. Or else this Illyana and Magik were from alternate timelines, or something?)
07. Revanche (Kwannon, inhabiting the original body of Psylocke. Died in X-Men #31 in 1994)
08. Joseph (died in X-Men #87 in 1999)
09. Skrullverine (died in Astonishing X-Men #3 in 1999 while impersonating Wolverine)
10. Sunpyre (died in Uncanny X-Men #404 in 2002. I am told the Sunpyre who joined Big Hero Six is actually an immigrant from an alternate timeline)
11. Maggott (died in Weapon X #5 in 2003)
12. Xorneto (died in New X-Men #150 in 2003 while impersonating Magneto)
13. Doubtful case: Cecelia Reyes (allegedly died in Weapon X #5 in 2003, at the same time Maggott did, according to a letter column published in New Excalibur #1 in 2005. Frank Tieri, writer of the story in which she allegedly died "behind the scenes," swears that he didn't kill her, though)
14. Banshee (died in X-Men: Deadly Genesis #2 in 2005)

Are there any other veteran X-Men who are supposed to be definitely dead right this minute, according to stories that I haven't heard about yet?

Alternately, if you know of any recent "returns from the dead" of any of the 14 characters I listed above, please enlighten me! :)

Goddessreicho said:

Thank you! I don't think I knew that was there. I only glance at Marvel's site from time to time, but never got very interested in it. (If it had its own forums up and running, the way DC does, that would be different. Haven't I been hearing for months that such forums are supposed to be opened, or reopened, one of these days?)

Telekinetic said:
where did you find out sunpyre was an immigrant?
Here:

Wiki said:
An extra-dimensional Sunpyre later appeared as part of Big Hero Six in Alpha Flight vol. 3 #9. Fellow teammate Honey Lemon pulled Sunpyre out of Lemon's Power Purse, resulting in Sunpyre worshipping Honey Lemon as a goddess and Sunpyre joining the team. Sunpyre and Ebon Samurai were both created to fill in the void left by Sunfire and Silver Samurai, who were being used elsewhere at the time.
Scott Lobdell clarified the relationship of Honey Lemon and Sunpyre in the Marvel Teams Handbook 2005.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"