Hereditary (2018)

[YT]megmpfx1fzc[/YT]
Dat thumbnail.

So far this is probably my 2nd favorite film of the year after Annihilation. Ari Aster is masterful in the way he builds suspense and horrifies. Toni Colette defintely deserves an oscar nod. She genuinely coveys everything from anguish to exhilarition to terror. Alexx Wolf also turned in a star making performance. I also really loved how the diorama story point funneled into the shot compostion. There is just a lot to soak in with this film.

Found the film to lag a bit and was underwhelmed by the ending. I thought Annie’s floating body looked ridiculous. Acting was superb all around. Was hoping for a classic alas it wasn’t for me.

Last edited:
Just watched this and really enjoyed it. 8/10.

I have a question for those who have seen it though.

Early in the movie, at the grandmother's funeral, Charlie looks at her grandma's casket and looks behind and there's just this really odd guy smiling at her awkwardly. It creeped me out but then I was like eh maybe it was nothing. But then when all the crazy **** happens at the end, he pops up again naked and in the corner. Was this supposed to be Paimon?? The guy is blonde and looks really similar to the artwork of Paimon that Annie sees when she uncovers everything.

Just watched this and really enjoyed it. 8/10.

I have a question for those who have seen it though.

Early in the movie, at the grandmother's funeral, Charlie looks at her grandma's casket and looks behind and there's just this really odd guy smiling at her awkwardly. It creeped me out but then I was like eh maybe it was nothing. But then when all the crazy **** happens at the end, he pops up again naked and in the corner. Was this supposed to be Paimon?? The guy is blonde and looks really similar to the artwork of Paimon that Annie sees when she uncovers everything.

No, he's an acolyte. Paimon is in Charlie from birth.

The funeral guy showing up in the house naked ruined my life.

Really? There was unsettling imagery in this film but "it ruined my life" ?

It's a good movie and I liked it a lot but I hate this recent trend of overhyping movies to be the scariest thing ever.

I, too, really liked and appreciated the film. Quite unsettling. I do think it was a bit over-hyped.

It's a good movie and I liked it a lot but I hate this recent trend of overhyping movies to be the scariest thing ever.

Just always remember your mileage may vary. People teact to things differently. So.e have seen more horror and others come to this movie with different life experiences.

I think we can agree it's a well made movie that knows how to play on multiple kinds of triggers. For some, that can hit them like a sack of bricks.

I'm being intentionally hyperbolic for the LOLs.

But seriously? Yeah, the images of people standing in the dark really did bother me quite a bit. I frequently wake up in the middle of the night with night terrors and I'm always convinced in my half lucid state that dark shapes in my bedroom are assailants. It hit close to home for me.

Just always remember your mileage may vary. People teact to things differently. So.e have seen more horror and others come to this movie with different life experiences.

I think we can agree it's a well made movie that knows how to play on multiple kinds of triggers. For some, that can hit them like a sack of bricks.

Yeah I get that. I guess "scary" movies don't really scare me in particular so when critics raved about this the way they did I kinda expected the film to send me running out of the theater.

Boom said:

But seriously? Yeah, the images of people standing in the dark really did bother me quite a bit. I frequently wake up in the middle of the night with night terrors and I'm always convinced in my half lucid state that dark shapes in my bedroom are assailants. It hit close to home for me.

I get ya Boom. I was mostly talking about the critic reactions I read prior to seeing the film.

And the grandma bit in the shadows I thought was very effective.

I liked the scares quite a bit but I thought some of the supernatural bits at the end just deflated the film.

Saw this movie last night overall I liked it I do think that the ending went a little too long.

I didn't mind the Supernatural moments in it at all. I just felt the movie should've ended when Peter jumped out of the window. The stuff after that was just not needed IMO but It may of just been me.

Also this movie in theatre made people uneasy I mean you could actually hear people shuffling in their seats.

Theres a moment in this movie that reminds me of when im halfway between falling Asleep and I hear somebody call my name in my ear but when I wake up nobody's there and I get the chills when that happens because I never know where that voice comes from.

Saw this tonight. I went into this movie completely blind; I hadn’t seen one trailer and didn’t even know what actors were in it. All I knew was that it was a horror film and people seemed to like it.

Although it starts a little slow and feels more like a film that’s trying to just flat out depress you for the first 45 minutes or so, once it gets going, it’s pretty relentless. I have to say that I liked it a lot and it reminded me a lot of The Witch, another exceptional horror film from A24.

All in all, I’d give it 8.5/10. Oh, and the moral of the story is: [BLACKOUT]Never, EVER trust Ann Dowd.[/BLACKOUT]

I liked it but I didn't love it. I found all the performances good and Toni Collette really delivered spectacularly but I felt it dragged. I don't need every movie to be a creature feature or have jump scares but I just didn't find this scary. I feel like I spent the entire movie wondering if I SHOULD have been scared or if the scary bits were coming up. The ending came out of left field for me as well and I wish I'd had some warning as to how disturbing some of the visuals were going to be before I went in.

So... you didn't find it scary, but the visuals were so disturbing that you wished someone had warned you about them?

To be fair, I don't think "scary" and "disturbing" are the same thing. Each provides a different sensation, for me anyway.

I guess that's true, but the only things I tend to find scary in movies anymore are things that are genuinely disturbing. But that may just be me. It takes a LOT for a movie to scare me.

To be fair, I don't think "scary" and "disturbing" are the same thing. Each provides a different sensation, for me anyway.

I agree, they're very different things. Something like 'A Serbian Film' is disturbing as all hell (please don't google this movie if you're of a nervous disposition and/or easily offended), but it isn't scary.

Still haven't seen Hereditary yet, and my local cinemas aren't showing it anymore. I guess I'll have to wait for digital.

Ah yes... A Serbian Film. That is probably the most disturbing movie I have ever seen. On the fence on whether that film is scary though, it's true. But a film like Martyrs I find very disturbing and very scary.

I had a bunch of people at my screening (including me) laughing at this part.

tumblr_pdtv98blkF1qgojgxo5_540.gif

3/5, it was just fine. Disappointed to be honest. The Witch is still the best horror film of the decade for me. Any new horror movie that looks as clean as this one, doesn't really hit me. Impressed with some of the direction. Some of the acting was good, some was way too over the top and borderline annoying. Yes, i'm talking about both Colette and the son. The third act got a bit silly, the ending didn't do much for me either. I get it, but the execution was more silly than creepy. The only scenes that were creepy were the hallucinations and dreams, and i felt it was a bit forced, trying to gross you us out make us jump. In that regard, it was like a balance of old horror and new school genre tropes that i can't stand.

Nice effort, but really lacking in the substance department. Beyond a basic "grief! am i right!?". Which reminded me of The Babadook. Another horror movie that was hyped as the greatest thing next to The Exorcist. Like i said, The Witch is still at the very top. Every other horror film nowadays seems overhyped.

Last edited:
It's earned nearly 80 million dollars to date. Very well deserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"