• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Hey Mikey.... He likes it!!!

ProfeZZor X

Master of all that is ice
Reaction score
After being turned on to Mike Carey's personal website a few weeks ago, I decided to post a few questions to him about general topics and what his approach was to creating the X-Men stories he does, since issue #194 is the topic of conversation. Of course I had to throw in an Iceman question at the end... Here's the link, my questions, and his answers:

http://www.mikecarey.net/?p=113#comments

Hey… what’s shakin’ Mike,

You seem to have an in-depth knowledge about each character, their history, the uniqueness of their powers, and their respective potential. And as much as I admire your attention to these details, I have to ask you:

1) How much of your time is spent in researching these characters, and their past events before you start writing each issue?

2) Do you plan on addressing one or more problem areas that took place in each character’s past and correcting/adding to it?

3) On occasions, you’ve been considered to be the new voice for us fans when it comes to what we want in a comic book. And along with that title, do you feel a responsibility to rewrite the way your characters were thought of in previous books, and bring out the most liked personality traits?

4) While Iceman really hasn’t shared in the successful achievements as the other original 5 founders, do you have any plans for him to experience any life-changing events, or take on a leadership role on his current team (even if it’s temporary)?

Thanks for any replies, and keep up the extraordinary work!!!

HIS REPLY

Okay, taking those questions in order:-

1. I wouldn’t dream of touting myself as an expert in X-Men continuity: there are large areas where I’m pretty ignorant, because although I kept in touch with the core titles for most of the last twenty-some years, there were periods when I was doing that on a flit-and-sip basis rather than following them religiously. What I’m doing now is filling in those blanks by buying and borrowing back issues, and - where I absolutely can’t get the issues - using the immaculate issue summaries on UncannyXMen.net. I’m gradually triangulating on my own blind spots.
icon_smile.gif

2. Depends what you mean by problem areas. Where there’s interesting backstory that will enrich the character and be fun to revisit, it would be crazy not to use it. But where there are ambiguities or anomalies that have become messy and festering over the years, my instinct is to steer clear unless either (a) I have to go there for story reasons or (b) I’m convinced there’s a path through the maze that makes sense of everything. So for example I’m not sure whether we’re going to cover the question of Cannonball’s immortality. That’s a discussion I want to have with the X-office at some point, though.

3. I’m both very flattered and a little uneasy to hear you say that. It’s kind of early days for me to be building up a rep of that kind, and I’ve tried not to give bland reassurances of the “trust me, I’m a doctor” variety. The answer - when the question is phrased in those terms - has to be a no. I have to follow my own instincts when it comes to characterisation. As you’ve seen in the discussion of Gambit on this and other boards, the fans of a particular character don’t speak with one unanimous voice: since you can’t please everybody, popularity is no guide. I’ll always listen to what readers say, and I find the feedback I get here and on other X-Men boards really useful - especially on things like the team roster - but I don’t feel constrained by it.

4. Yes to the life-changing events, hard to say on the leadership. He’s very well qualified to do so, but circumstances would have to fall out that way.

Comment by Mike Carey — October 12, 2006 @ 1:19 am

If you guys feel a little empowered, I would recommend that you go to the link above and post your questions. He won't answer more direct questions about his story plots, but at least he'll answer some general ones. It usually take a day or two for a response, but still, it's well worth it.

Also, you might want to check out some of the questions and answers from other posters and Mike. Mike might have already responded to a question you already have in your mind.

I like Carey's run on X-men so far. He definately kicks Peter Milligan's ass and then some.

Max J Power said:
I like Carey's run on X-men so far. He definately kicks Peter Milligan's ass and then some.

I've posted a few more questions today, so we'll see what he has to say about them. It's great to be able to talk to the person that is in charge of the creative aspect of the material you've followed for years. And even if nothing comes out of it other than a question answered, at least having the comfort in knowing that writer heard your voice is priceless. :wow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"