Hulk as villain in "AVENGERS" film??

Dirty Harry

Civilian
Reaction score
Just wondering what you think about using the Hulk as a villain in the upcoming "Avengers" movie. Also, let's hear your thoughts regarding casting choices for the other major heroes, since they don't have status spots for them on the SHH main board - yet. (Cap, Thor, Ant Man & Wasp)

I don't know about Ant Man or Wasp. Is this film supposed to be played straight, or lighter / for laughs? No offense to Ant Man/Giant Man fans out there. I don't know anything about the film as it sits now in development. I read that a director was attached to the project, but the name didn't ring any bells, so I'm not familiar with any films they've done, for comparison.

I read someone's post elsewhere (and completely agree) on a good casting choice for Thor: Viggo Mortensen. He's already buff and could bulk up even more, has the acting chops, and would look way tough scowling from under the shining winged helm of the God of Thunder. Maybe (and it's a big maybe) Kevin Sorbo. He hasn't done anything much lately though, so I don't know if Hollywood would throw the dice on someone who's dropped that far off the radar. Main thing is they must make the Thor movie much in the same vein as LOTR or Conan. Big, lavish all-out fantasy. Much like Clash of The Titan and the other fantasy epics. There are reams of Norse mythology to gather from, along with the comics themselves, so there's no shortage of stories and scenarios. I'd also nominate Hugo Weaving for Loki. He has an awesome, craggy face and with his hair slicked back in a ponytail, he'd be a dead ringer. And we all know he can do nastiness like no one's business. (I also like Lance Heinrikson as Loki for the same reasons, but I think he's too old for the part.)

Cap is a tougher call. Steve Rogers becomes Cap at a young age (18 or so, I'm guessing, as I'm not a follower of anyone else in Avengers beyond Hulk and occasionally Iron Man). I'd prefer an unknown in the lead, and set it in WWII and have the film end with Cap winding up in the ice, then the last scene after the credits has Nick Fury & SHIELD find him in the ice and start chopping him out. That would lead straight in to the Avengers.

I do believe that the Hulk would make a great villain, tricked into the role, much as he was in the original Avengers #1. Hell, a direct translation of that first issue might make a pretty good origin story for the first installment of Avengers if the other players have had their turn in the theaters.

Thoughts??

I can see then having him as a villain in the sense they see him as a danger to the public and try to stop him then a bigger, badder guy will come along and Hulk will have to help them.

Keep Hulk as a hero. He's a hero in this next movie, why would he be a villain in the Avengers movie?

I do believe that the Hulk would make a great villain, tricked into the role, much as he was in the original Avengers #1. Hell, a direct translation of that first issue might make a pretty good origin story for the first installment of Avengers if the other players have had their turn in the theaters.

It it gets me a live-action Rick Jones, I'm all for it! I suppose they could update the Teen Brigade from ham-radio enthusiasts to some sort of online community.

I hate both Hulk as a hero (not that he has to be a villiain but just an angry misunderstood monster which is what he is) and the idea of an Avengers movie.

Why don't you like the idea of an Avengers movie?

I can see then having him as a villain in the sense they see him as a danger to the public and try to stop him then a bigger, badder guy will come along and Hulk will have to help them.

That's what I envisioned, too. Like the original Avengers #1, where Loki tricks the Hulk into doing something everyone else misinterprets as bad / evil and they try to take him down, but at the climax, he ends up teaming up to combat a bigger threat. That would be cool, like when Darth Vader turned on the Emperor to save his son; (one of those moments where everybody starts cheering).

How the Hulk is handled also depends on whether a sequel will happen... and if they fast track it to hit screens ahead of the Avengers film. If that film deals with Banner's believed control, which slips and we get the multiple Hulks (or at least, perhaps Gray), then the Hulk could be a savage berserker (or close to it) at the end of that film / start of Avengers.

That's one of the cool things about Marvel calling the shots on their characters now. How will they weave all of these various threads together? So many possibilities. When you mix in the different incarnations (616 universe, Ultimates universe, other re-boots)... the combinations are mind-boggling!:wow:

Unless Loki is the big bad in Thor (which he probably will be) I say use him to trick Thor. Otherwise maybe they could use the Masters of Evil? I always loved Baron Zemo and ummm those other guys.... Maybe they should just use Baron Zemo (Helmut of course). Plot it around him finding the moon stones. Anyway, I like the idea of having a Cap movie set in WWII and than at the end having Fury pull him out of the ice and say something cheesy like "Welcome to the Avengers" and the movie could pick up right after (without the gloom we saw in Ultimate Avengers since that would be too much of a cope out). And as for Ant-Man and Wasp? Totally, just throw them into the movie. Introduce them there and give them a second or two to explain how their powers work (maybe Fury can say something). Hell, I'd love to see Hawkeye.

^Agreed. I'd much rather see Hawkeye than Ant Man & Wasp. Hawkeye is such a great stripped down, throwback hero. The 'Robin Hood' angle would serve him well in differentiating him from all the other strong men types, and his ex-con background would make for some good inter-character dynamics. Got a feeling his costume would get a severe makeover though.

What about Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch? It would be a nice tie-in to have those two, bringing Magneto closer back to the fold of Marvel-control characters. And it would whet the appetites of X-Men fans as well. Plus, that would also allow some character cross pollination if they do the solo Magneto film! Cool. (It'd also be sweet if Marvel could get their own speedy-power character on film and steal a little thunder from DC before those guys can get their Flash movie up & running. (Ooooo... sorry for the bad pun.)
icon11.gif

Why don't you like the idea of an Avengers movie?

The same reason I never liked a Justice League, Aliens vs Predator or Jason vs Freddy movie idea. because it's most likely to be a pretentious mess with too many character and zero substance. There's no way I can imagine it having an iota of seriousness. It's most likely to end up being a CGI brainless fest. I can be wrong and I'll admit it if this movie is ever made.

^Agreed. I'd much rather see Hawkeye than Ant Man & Wasp. Hawkeye is such a great stripped down, throwback hero. The 'Robin Hood' angle would serve him well in differentiating him from all the other strong men types, and his ex-con background would make for some good inter-character dynamics. Got a feeling his costume would get a severe makeover though.

What about Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch? It would be a nice tie-in to have those two, bringing Magneto closer back to the fold of Marvel-control characters. And it would whet the appetites of X-Men fans as well. Plus, that would also allow some character cross pollination if they do the solo Magneto film! Cool. (It'd also be sweet if Marvel could get their own speedy-power character on film and steal a little thunder from DC before those guys can get their Flash movie up & running. (Ooooo... sorry for the bad pun.)
icon11.gif
Hawkeye's a good point of view character. Someone we can be introduced to the story through his eyes. But his costume would probably get ripped top shreds like you said. We'd probably end up with the same mess we got in the Avengers cartoon, or worse the Ultimate costume.

Just keep with the Marvel tradition, sans Ultimates, of characters meeting up with Hulk and there being some massive misunderstanding, they mix it up a little for a couple setpieces, then he slowly realizes that they're not trying to harm him, but someone else who is truly evil is.

ffun4.gif

Nah.. the hulk can’t be the villain in Avengers… there’s too much at stake with him being a superhero and friendly icon to kids—you can’t do the Ultimates storyline where his rampages bring entire buildings down on innocent people, etc.—and NO, that’s not what happened in the first film--

Nah.. the hulk can’t be the villain in Avengers… there’s too much at stake with him being a superhero and friendly icon to kids—you can’t do the Ultimates storyline where his rampages bring entire buildings down on innocent people, etc.—and NO, that’s not what happened in the first film--

Exactly, the Hulk is still on the side of good, even if he does good only to perserve his own well being or protect those that he views as friends.

Whatever happens or whether hulk will be a main villain or not, i can guarantee there will be a scene where the hulk turns on the avengers...

whether it's near the beginning when they first form or later on after they beat the baddies and he's still angry or whether some bad dude has come in and kidnapped banner and put him under some mind control...

That's what was so slick about the formation of the Avengers in their original run. The Hulk was tricked and made to look guilty & dangerous in the eyes of the general public and the various heroes who responded to the Hulk's perceived threat. After some brief fighting back & forth, Thor shows the others that it's actually Loki who was behind the Hulk's smear campaign. Too bad that Stan & Jack didn't let the Hulk tear Loki a new one, because he sure wanted to!:hehe:

The possibility that the Hulk could have somehow 'gone south' would generate tension in the audience up until the moment where he is exonerated. Even a being as powerful as the Hulk could be viewed with sympathy and cheered on as an underdog of sorts as he defends himself from the attacks of the other heroes - if the audience is let in on the behind-the-scenes scheming of Loki (or whoever the villain would be) before the other on screen characters are.

Bottom line: with a good writer & director who both understand and respect the characters and the source material, this could be a really fantastic adventure movie.

It it gets me a live-action Rick Jones, I'm all for it! I suppose they could update the Teen Brigade from ham-radio enthusiasts to some sort of online community.

yea I want to see Rick jones too. I'm dissapointed that he's not the focus in this film, even though he was responsible for Hulk's creation. It's funny but Hulk has had many personality changes (more so then Hank Pym) I wouldnt mind if they used Golden age Hulk from Avenger's 1 just as a nod to comic fans. That Hulk to me seemed like a real pompous ass. But he was easily my favorite!!!

Avengers001_09b.jpg

Avengers001_10a.jpg

Avengers001_11b.jpg

I'd like tosee Hulk fight the group but eventually be able to work with them cohesively.

At first I wanted to see Hulk as a villain, but now I don't know, I kind of want to see him as a hero now, but he's strong enough to be a one man super team. I see him as the villain, but I'd prefer him as a one of the Avengers, but then who's strong enough to fight all of the Avengers?

From the movie I could very easily see him being a hero. The Hulk portrayed seemed very in control and calm....to a point.

Personally, I could see Stark giving over plans of a Hulkbuster to General Ross or Nick Fury. Which would then infuriate Bruce because he trusted Stark and sees that Stark, while a good man can also be persuaded by money and can be corrupted even if he is a superhero. So, then you could bring in bits of Civil War and the Ultimate Avengers movie where the team feels like disbanding/fighting within one another, in the end though they realize they need to come together to address the bigger threat---whomever they decide to use as the main villain(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"