Hulk vs Kurse (MCU Versions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^This is what I'm seeing too. There's no doubt Hulk is the cooler character, more impressive feats of strength, but as OSexton said, Kurse is a tank who can't die. That means Hulk ain't beating him, at best its a stalemate.

Getting run through with an Asgardian spear is not a feat Hulk has been shown to be able to withstand, much less withstand with no adverse effects whatsoever. Loki shrugged off bullets too but he apparently couldn't shrug off an Asgardian spear.

He put a bullet in his mouth and came out fine. He wrecked a chitauri ship the size of a skyscraper with a single direct punch. Kurse was basically unstoppable, but it's not like the Hulk was ever once close to death either, he was just humanized more. Since you're being so technical with Asgardian spear, a situation we've never seen Hulk in, we can compare it to Mjonir. Thor's hammer was shown to be much more effective and devastating than a spear and he took a direct blow to the face.

Yeah in the comics the Hulk isn't indestructible, but in the movies when have you seen anything, and I mean anything, penetrate his skin or make him bleed? By all means it's an even fight.

Cap interrupted the Thor-Iron Man fight. If the fight continued, Tony was toast. Thor and Kurse would both have made short work of Killian.

The fight was evenly matched as presented on the screen. They didn't want to upset the Thor fans or the Iron Man fans, much as they didn't want to upset anyone rooting for Hulk or Thor. Kurse was so powerful because it was good storytelling, it makes Thor feel vulnerable, just as Killian did to Tony in Iron Man 3.

Making Thor practically invincible in the 2011 film worked because, you spent so much time with him as a mortal it was a good payoff. Iron Man being a trumpcard badass worked in the 2008 film because they had a clever pattern of making the Tony untouchable then suddenly helpless. As the other guy pointed out by what was presented in the films themselves Killian and Kurse would be a good match, and if you're going to change the standards for one character and disregard what's on screen you have to be willing to do so for Hulk as well.

If Thor had been presented as an unstoppable Tank himself, I would be more impressed with Kurse. As it stands, Kurse' most impressive feat was throwing a boulder. If Thor had been shown to do damage with his bare hands more often, or had been consistently shown as powerful and damage resistant as he was in the fight with Iron Man, Kurse would have been a scary beast. As I saw it he was very, meh. I have to go with ole' Jade Jaws on dis one.

The "limitless strength as the Hulk gets angrier" thing is not part of the movie-verse and is only ever mentioned in the comics, and even then it's never shown in any way. I mean, Hulk fought the Beyonder and Infinity Gauntlet Thanos and other powerhouses like Zeus in comics, but every time his strength was actually limited and he was rather easily defeated.

Kurse as shown in TTDW would have been able to take movie Hulk down, without a doubt.

^This is what I'm seeing too. There's no doubt Hulk is the cooler character, more impressive feats of strength, but as OSexton said, Kurse is a tank who can't die. That means Hulk ain't beating him, at best its a stalemate.

Getting run through with an Asgardian spear is not a feat Hulk has been shown to be able to withstand, much less withstand with no adverse effects whatsoever. Loki shrugged off bullets too but he apparently couldn't shrug off an Asgardian spear.

It was clearly shown in TIH, very clearly in fact, the moment when Abom has Hulk up against the wall, Hulk can barely move, and Betty is about to get killed by an explosion, Hulk's eyes glow green and he overpowers Abom when he couldnt previously, clearly showing he was getting stronger through his anger at seeing Betty in danger.

This was a clear showing of 'the madder Hulk gets the stronger Hulk gets.' Thor vs Hulk in TA had elements of it as well, Thor held his own throughout most of the fight, but just when the jet arrives and distracts Hulk, he is tossing Thor all over the place and Thor cant get a hit in. I think if that fight had gone uninterrupted, Hulk would have done to Thor what Kurse did in the TDW fight.

Hulk. I'd put Kurse on Abomination level.

Abomination might have had an edge on Hulk, until Hulk got angry enough.

Eh, that scene in TIH was hardly "limitless strength from rage!" It was pretty much consistent with every action movie ever, where one character gets beaten up by a somewhat superior opponent, until they get a strong enough motivating force to drive them to their utter limit. In this case, it just happened to involve two super strong bricks.

The point still stands. You pit Hulk against Kurse in the MCU, Hulk is going to come out on top. Even if it's just because of movie magic.

The point still stands. You pit Hulk against Kurse in the MCU, Hulk is going to come out on top. Even if it's just because of movie magic.

Exactly. Not to mention the whole scene was put there to show Hulk getting stronger through getting madder. It wasnt simply just a cliche hero vs villain scene, it was to show that Hulk gets stronger when he gets madder, hence the close up on his eyes glowing green at the start of the scene.

So what your saying is that the Hulk will benefit from bad writing. *nods*

Getting stronger as his rage increases is one of the Hulk's abilities.

QFT

Kurse if massaged by the Beyonder ( from what I've read on wikipedia ), otherwise Hulk of course.

Quick note : MCU stands for Marvel Cinematic Universe but Kurse isn't part of it, so it is fair to use Hulk comic books abilities even if he displayed the-madder-the-stronger in both movies.

Last edited:
Kurse is a part of the MCU.

He's in Thor: The Dark World.

Weren't you just on the wikipedia?

Didn't know Kurse's appearance was even a secret.

I only read the basic stuff about him on wiki.
There is no problem with this spoiler, it's not a big one and I am not picky :)

Oh okay. I thought you were seriously pissed. *whew* dodged that landmine regarding spoiling one tiny facet of a three week old film for someone 7000 miles away who i don't know.. :up: :oldrazz:

Not at all, hence the smiley I added :)
I usually spoil myself pretty bad so I will not blame others for doing it.

He put a bullet in his mouth and came out fine. He wrecked a chitauri ship the size of a skyscraper with a single direct punch. Kurse was basically unstoppable, but it's not like the Hulk was ever once close to death either, he was just humanized more. Since you're being so technical with Asgardian spear, a situation we've never seen Hulk in, we can compare it to Mjonir. Thor's hammer was shown to be much more effective and devastating than a spear and he took a direct blow to the face.

Yeah in the comics the Hulk isn't indestructible, but in the movies when have you seen anything, and I mean anything, penetrate his skin or make him bleed? By all means it's an even fight.

Abomination penetrated Hulk's skin and made him bleed. I wouldn't compare a weapon mass produced for a footsoldier to a weapon destined for a king. Kurse also took blows from Mjolnir, iirc, and it did not lay him out like it did Hulk.

Hulk has clear and impressive feats of strength, but again, none that suggest he can kill an unkillable being or duplicate the force of a black hole. The fact that a black hole had trouble with Kurse make it unbelievable that someone could evaluate Hulk as the clear victor. Worst case scenario, Hulk knocks Kurse around for eternity. Maybe if it were scored like a boxing match Hulk would win.

It was clearly shown in TIH, very clearly in fact, the moment when Abom has Hulk up against the wall, Hulk can barely move, and Betty is about to get killed by an explosion, Hulk's eyes glow green and he overpowers Abom when he couldnt previously, clearly showing he was getting stronger through his anger at seeing Betty in danger.

This was a clear showing of 'the madder Hulk gets the stronger Hulk gets.' Thor vs Hulk in TA had elements of it as well, Thor held his own throughout most of the fight, but just when the jet arrives and distracts Hulk, he is tossing Thor all over the place and Thor cant get a hit in. I think if that fight had gone uninterrupted, Hulk would have done to Thor what Kurse did in the TDW fight.

I should have clarified, the limitless part is what we haven't see in the films. That's of great importance when the only thing shown to beat Kurse is a black hole. Taking out a Leviathan is basically a non issue at that point. And interestingly enough, Hulk surviving someone who was not explicitly trying to kill him (Thor) using a blunt instrument (Mjolnir) doesn't mean quite as much on the durability angle.

Hulk could win a bench pressing contest, or a points match, or even a ring out. But he can't take out Kurse, unless he can create black hole level forces, and not only has he not been shown to be able to do that, but it would be scientifically preposterous to punch as hard as a black hole. On the other hand, if Kurse is more effective and dangerous than Abomination (he is), then Hulk will lose like he almost did in TIH, unless Betty's there behind Kurse about to die thus making Hulk mad and allowing him to overcome Kurse, and that's only *if* he can make a jump in strength that big that quick. So because there is no scenario where Hulk can win, and several where Kurse can win, I give the edge to Kurse.

Last edited:
^At the start of TDW 3 of the 'Kursed' were taken out by Asgardian swords, I dont know were you are getting this Kurse cant be killed thing because they are shown as being killable with weapons.

Hulk can mad enough to get more than enough force behind him to kill Kurse, or at least knock him out and win the fight. Kurse hasnt really been shown to be that much more durable than either Thor (who gets straight back up after their fight BTW) or Hulk.

not even close - the incredible hulk. hard to beat a being who has capactiy
for unlimited physical strength based on his emotional anger.
Too strong, too ferocious, too relentless. Too much Hulk. :woot:

^At the start of TDW 3 of the 'Kursed' were taken out by Asgardian swords, I dont know were you are getting this Kurse cant be killed thing because they are shown as being killable with weapons.

Hulk can mad enough to get more than enough force behind him to kill Kurse, or at least knock him out and win the fight. Kurse hasnt really been shown to be that much more durable than either Thor (who gets straight back up after their fight BTW) or Hulk.

I get the idea from Malakeith's dialogue, the guy who would know. The dialogue in the movie was very specific about Kurse not being able to be killed. He then demonstrated he was different from those guys in the prologue by taking an Asgardian weapon through the chest and not giving one single crap. I understand they have a similar power source, but... so? Speaking of, Thor also got right back up after his fight with Hulk. Thor's a resilient guy, go fig.

The idea that Hulk can get up to black hole crushing levels is preposterous. His punches would have to be able to crush the atoms of air as he punched. The area would get dark because he would be hitting hard enough to pull the light in the area towards his fist. That just sounds dumb to me. And even if he could, because he's just sooooo mad, there's no reason to think that he could do so before Kurse does him like Abomination almost did if not for Betty being about to die. This is a guy who had half his body crushed by a black hole and was still fighting it, fully conscious. You can't 'knock him out' like he's some kind of street thug. If Hulk can't kill him, Hulk can't win.

I never got the "can't be killed" thing, from that line. I assumed the opposite. Algrim being "Kursed" was like the bullet in Renard's head from The World is Not Enough: he was becoming less and less noticeable of pain and bodily damage until at which point the "Kurse" was going to consume him.

The line was very specific about no one being able to defeat him in combat. It did not allow for an opposite interpretation of that. It did include the fact that eventually he would burn out and die that way. So, perhaps Hulk, if Hulk somehow was not killed before he reached Kurse's strength level he could outlast Kurse, which might take weeks, who knows?

Hulk's strength increases exponentially in a sustained fight. Hulk in 10 rounds.

Exactly, plus the Hulk that fought Thor was somewhat compromised by the Tesseract.

By the end of IH Hulk stop playing around with Abomination once Betty was in danger and made quick work of him.

Curse was pretty cool though, wish we've could've seen more of him and less of Darcy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"