• Secure your account

    A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

HULKFish SMASH Art post!!

HULKFish

Author of Marlsbeth
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Messages
1,148
Reaction score
0
Points
31
Hey guys, here's some new stuff. I was very unhappy with how my old post was looking and a name you know isn't associated...

My Website

I love making Wallpaper/Desktops and my art will go here too! Please, check in and let me know what you think...

Here's the newest Superman Wallpaper.
SkybackSupes.jpg
 
Y is Supes swoopin' in from the side?
No I like it it's cool man.
More........
 
I like your stuff i actually used the last Superman wallpaper you made since i liked it so much

Keep it up

(is it just me or does his face look like its made of plastic in that pic?)
 
Glad you like it! I just thought it would look cool... I think its the most toned down background I've made which I was told was better and the most simple which I was told is better also. Thanks!
 
Hey Guys, I was wondering if one of you that are actually good at coloring would color this for me...

x1bw_small.jpg
 
OK, I think this is the best one yet... What do you think?

SkybackSupesR.jpg
 
HULKFish said:
Hey Guys, I was wondering if one of you that are actually good at coloring would color this for me...

x1bw_small.jpg


I was looking to take a crack at and building a quick tutorial, but I got swamped at work so haven't had the chance.
 
Mrh7448 said:
I was looking to take a crack at and building a quick tutorial, but I got swamped at work so haven't had the chance.

That would be awesome if you could! I just started learning line art/coloring in Photoshop the right way on Friday with a tutorial, very time-consuming so far...
 
OK, I've been learning to color the right way... Here's a preview, what do you think?

This is line art with a transparent background and colored in layers.

x1bw1.jpg
 
It's better, but I think you are still using to many filters. It's better to build it up with layers. the Drop Shadow effect doesn't make it look like it's shadowed, it just makes the black line work look like it's above the coloured layers.

It's better to stay away from filters and to use the brushes to build up the artwork. I've been working on it and when it's finished I'll show you what I mean. Should be done and posted today.
 
Mrh7448 said:
It's better, but I think you are still using to many filters. It's better to build it up with layers. the Drop Shadow effect doesn't make it look like it's shadowed, it just makes the black line work look like it's above the coloured layers.

It's better to stay away from filters and to use the brushes to build up the artwork. I've been working on it and when it's finished I'll show you what I mean. Should be done and posted today.

Cool, thanks for the info! I'm self-taught so I just run through the tutorials... I found a good one but started messing with the blending options on the different layers after I had finished coloring Juggernaut to see if I could get a shortcut for blending affects. Anyway, its a step in the right direction!
 
In my opinion this Superman Returns Desktop is my best yet! I'm probably gonna use it as this month's entry if I don't have time to put something together...

Let me know what you think.
SRCollage.jpg
 
Just finished my version of your Juggernaut pic

jugsy.jpg


I didn't use any filters. I built the darks up using only the brush tool at varying opacities, same with the highlights. I didn't work to many textures into it a little in Beasts fur and a little in the ground, but again it was done using texture brushes and not with filters.

I also think your work would benefit if you varied the line weight somewhat. I thickened some of the line work to try and get a stronger sense of depth and volume.

My lighting is a bit off, but I think it gives you the general idea of what I was talking about. Using filters and layer blends tends to just make it look like a quick, cheap photoshop job. IMO.

Anyway hope ya like it.

(I have a bunch of screen snaps that I'll try and develope into a type of tutorial so you can at least see how I developed the colours)
 
Mrh7448 said:
Just finished my version of your Juggernaut pic

jugsy.jpg


I didn't use any filters. I built the darks up using only the brush tool at varying opacities, same with the highlights. I didn't work to many textures into it a little in Beasts fur and a little in the ground, but again it was done using texture brushes and not with filters.

I also think your work would benefit if you varied the line weight somewhat. I thickened some of the line work to try and get a stronger sense of depth and volume.

My lighting is a bit off, but I think it gives you the general idea of what I was talking about. Using filters and layer blends tends to just make it look like a quick, cheap photoshop job. IMO.

Anyway hope ya like it.

(I have a bunch of screen snaps that I'll try and develope into a type of tutorial so you can at least see how I developed the colours)

WOW!!! DUDE, THAT IS FANTASTIC!! I am impressed!!

Yeah, with the line thickness I used Curves to manipulate and it was inked by hand.... WOW!!
 
Here's the little "tutorial" I did. It's not great but it may be a good starting point. It just kind of shows how I develop the colours for my work.

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/mrh7448/tutorial/

hope it helps or at least gives you some ideas.

Best thing is just to play around until you find what works for you.
 
This will be my June Contest submission if I don't finish another version I'm working on, what do you think?

SupermanSHContest3.jpg
 
Not bad, I think your colouring is coming along and looks much better than some of your previous attempts.

Got you PM, and I hope my little tutorial was helpful. Everyone needs to find their own way of working but sometimes it's helpful to have a starting point and expand from there.
 
Thanks, yes of course I'm going for a comic look here not Brandon Routh... Coloring is surely a thing of a learning experience but I'm getting there. Mrh7448 I will use that tutorial and yes it was helpful though I'm just starting to understand...
 
This is the one I ended up using...

Supermanr11a.jpg
 
comanche_joe said:
super buff supes i like it

Thanks! I always thought he should be and preferred that beefier version of him in the comics.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"