Comics I wanna do a new Superman origin

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
Okay, with Infinite Crisis done and recent stories of Superman showing that things have changed, we need to have a new origin story. Confidential would handle the stuff AFTER the origin, which is fine, but we need a brand new origin to explain how Clark Kent became Superman in this new Post-IC continuity.

The first thing I would do is make sure that this origin was different from the others. That it was an anthology of Clark Kent/Superman's beginning into the Man of Steel.

With Issue 1: I would start out with Krypton a year before it exploded with Jor-El & Lara expecting Kal-El and Jor-El realizing there is something off of the planet because of the tremors that has started to occur.

Issue 2 would be the final moments of Krypton and I would have Kara and her father interacting with Jor-El and then later, his "plan" for her and his ship she will go into. Thus, showing that they exist even in the origin instead of just "appearing" later on. And once Kal-El's ship leaves Earth, the second to last scene would be of Kara's ship hitting some debris and thus being trapped in it. The last shot would be just of Kal-El heading away from Krypton's system.

Issue 3 would continue to be different as it would be a Jonathan & Martha Kent storyline on how Jon & Martha are trying to bring a kid into their lives but there have been problems. And while Martha is thinking on what to do once a baby comes, Jon is wondering if he could be a father or if he wants to be. The issue would end when they go out on a drive and an explosion happens. They go out and see Kal-El's ship.

Issue 4: Jon and Martha find the baby and are wondering what to do with him. They come up with a lie when they take the baby to an orphanage saying that "once their truck lost its wheel and were trying to fix it, they heard a baby cry and thus found him". Taking a cue from Superman's Golden Age origin, while Jon and Martha are still thinking of the baby and trying to have a baby from themselves, at the orphanage baby Kal-El is causing a handful for the doctors there and even scaring them over "what he can do". Once Jon and Martha realize having a baby by themselves isn't going to happen because of their body's problems, they decide to adopt the baby from the orphanage. Once they get him back (with one of the doctors relieved that the baby is gone), the Kents decide to name the baby "Clark Kent".

Then on issue 5 would be when the Kents see the baby with great strength (the first of his powers). Years have passed and Clark is around five years of age. Clark's powers are a topic for both the Kents and Clark himself as Clark, who was being bullied, has just punch a kid so hard in the stomach he needed to be hospitalized. Mirroring the shot from Superman #1, the Kents tell Clark that there are things beginning to happen to him and that he should never use them for personal gain, nor to hurt others, and that they will help him and teach him as he grows up how to better use his power (later it will be powers). But they decide not to tell him about the ship. In the closing pages, (based on Action #800) Clark sees Pa Kent helping and risking his life saving someone who is stuck under a tractor. As Clark sees this, this five-year-old boy then gets inspiration on how to use his powers.

That's all for now, as this can be considered an early pitch. As you can see, my origin idea is different from the others as it begins with the El family and life on Krypton in two issues, and another two issues on the Kents, then when we finally focus on Clark, its the fifth issue and he's five years old.

I have more ideas but not enough for me to make summaries of the next issues with them. Basically, with the first issue I want to include the now current version of Zod, Ursa & Non and show more things in this origin story that would make sense in today's comics. The ideas I ahve that I ave not shared in this topic are very good and interesting but some of them, I feel, may not work because of Superman Confidential. One of them is Lois & Clark. But I should mention that the "super-boy" is in my origin idea (it would have to be).

So that's it. I should also note I have origin ideas for Batman (since the scene from 52 shows a costume different) and Wonder Woman (from her 52 backup origin shows a differecne as well). But I can't tell them here as its "all over the palce".

So DC Comics: I want to do a brand new Superman origin story because of Infinite Crisis and the concerns of what stayed in continuity and what wasn't. But I also want to somethign different.

I would be alll for a new Superman Origins. I mean Birthright is good and all. But i Really didnt like the "Smallville" influance. Mainly the whole Lex knowing Clark as a kid. I mean you go to high school with someone and be friend & spend time at there house. And then you just convenently forget about them. Plus i find the ending to be good. But very far fetch. Yeah i think a new Superman origins would be a good idea. At least one that keeps Lex away from Clark. Because it just dosnt make any sense. It did make any sense in the old Superboy comics either. Overall so far your idea sound good.

there is no reason to show his origin again, he has had the same story for 60+ years and i don't think theres a need to "re"tell it, because it will be the same story.

Finally some posts. What took so long?

Well I would understand why no one wants yet ANOTHER origin story of Superman, and I know Confidential would have to go back to his origin anyway, but with IC and the fact that things have been changed in the current continuity, you have no other option but to retell the origin to show and explain how things are in this revised continuity.

Not necessarily. There are always flashback options and dialogue does explain plenty, without dragging on for 8 to 12 issues.

the only thing that changed was krypton and jor-el, but they did this to be more like the movies. also this seems to be the only thing that gets changed in the retellings that and lex, and pa liveing or dieing.

I really wish they'd lay off on another origin story for at least another 10 years or so (y'know, to re-introduce it to the next generation or whatnot) Your story sounds good, but I'd really like DC to just pick a continuity and stick with it for more than three or four years at a time.

I actually just finished reading about Superman's "golden age" and got done thinking I wish someone would fully and coherently establish Superman's origin story. I like your idea.

To Puff&Stuff, he hasn't had the same story for 60+ years. The origin most of us are most familiar with wasn't really established until the first movie according to my knowledge. Up until then his story has undergone several renditions (not revisions). One line has him going to an adoption agency and the adoption agency doesn't know what to do with a toddler with superhuman strength. One line has him arriving on earth as a fully grown man and some random strangers that benefit from his kindness and superpowers tell him to become a reporter named Clark Kent. Originally his parents names were Jor-L and Lora. It wasn't until the first novel about him that they became known as Jor-el and Lara, but even in that novel it wasn't Jonathan and Martha; it was Eben and Sara. Martha was originally introduced as Mary. The list of differences goes on and on, but I think I've made my point.

Superbaty77 said:
I would be alll for a new Superman Origins. I mean Birthright is good and all. But i Really didnt like the "Smallville" influance. Mainly the whole Lex knowing Clark as a kid. I mean you go to high school with someone and be friend & spend time at there house. And then you just convenently forget about them. Plus i find the ending to be good. But very far fetch. Yeah i think a new Superman origins would be a good idea. At least one that keeps Lex away from Clark. Because it just dosnt make any sense. It did make any sense in the old Superboy comics either. Overall so far your idea sound good.

actually this is more of a silver age influence.

smallvilleschoolge3.jpg

Okay, with Infinite Crisis done and recent stories of Superman showing that things have changed, we need to have a new origin story. Confidential would handle the stuff AFTER the origin, which is fine, but we need a brand new origin to explain how Clark Kent became Superman in this new Post-IC continuity.

The first thing I would do is make sure that this origin was different from the others. That it was an anthology of Clark Kent/Superman's beginning into the Man of Steel.

With Issue 1: I would start out with Krypton a year before it exploded with Jor-El & Lara expecting Kal-El and Jor-El realizing there is something off of the planet because of the tremors that has started to occur.

Issue 2 would be the final moments of Krypton and I would have Kara and her father interacting with Jor-El and then later, his "plan" for her and his ship she will go into. Thus, showing that they exist even in the origin instead of just "appearing" later on. And once Kal-El's ship leaves Earth, the second to last scene would be of Kara's ship hitting some debris and thus being trapped in it. The last shot would be just of Kal-El heading away from Krypton's system.

Issue 3 would continue to be different as it would be a Jonathan & Martha Kent storyline on how Jon & Martha are trying to bring a kid into their lives but there have been problems. And while Martha is thinking on what to do once a baby comes, Jon is wondering if he could be a father or if he wants to be. The issue would end when they go out on a drive and an explosion happens. They go out and see Kal-El's ship.

Issue 4: Jon and Martha find the baby and are wondering what to do with him. They come up with a lie when they take the baby to an orphanage saying that "once their truck lost its wheel and were trying to fix it, they heard a baby cry and thus found him". Taking a cue from Superman's Golden Age origin, while Jon and Martha are still thinking of the baby and trying to have a baby from themselves, at the orphanage baby Kal-El is causing a handful for the doctors there and even scaring them over "what he can do". Once Jon and Martha realize having a baby by themselves isn't going to happen because of their body's problems, they decide to adopt the baby from the orphanage. Once they get him back (with one of the doctors relieved that the baby is gone), the Kents decide to name the baby "Clark Kent".

Then on issue 5 would be when the Kents see the baby with great strength (the first of his powers). Years have passed and Clark is around five years of age. Clark's powers are a topic for both the Kents and Clark himself as Clark, who was being bullied, has just punch a kid so hard in the stomach he needed to be hospitalized. Mirroring the shot from Superman #1, the Kents tell Clark that there are things beginning to happen to him and that he should never use them for personal gain, nor to hurt others, and that they will help him and teach him as he grows up how to better use his power (later it will be powers). But they decide not to tell him about the ship. In the closing pages, (based on Action #800) Clark sees Pa Kent helping and risking his life saving someone who is stuck under a tractor. As Clark sees this, this five-year-old boy then gets inspiration on how to use his powers.

That's all for now, as this can be considered an early pitch. As you can see, my origin idea is different from the others as it begins with the El family and life on Krypton in two issues, and another two issues on the Kents, then when we finally focus on Clark, its the fifth issue and he's five years old.

I have more ideas but not enough for me to make summaries of the next issues with them. Basically, with the first issue I want to include the now current version of Zod, Ursa & Non and show more things in this origin story that would make sense in today's comics. The ideas I ahve that I ave not shared in this topic are very good and interesting but some of them, I feel, may not work because of Superman Confidential. One of them is Lois & Clark. But I should mention that the "super-boy" is in my origin idea (it would have to be).

So that's it. I should also note I have origin ideas for Batman (since the scene from 52 shows a costume different) and Wonder Woman (from her 52 backup origin shows a differecne as well). But I can't tell them here as its "all over the palce".

So DC Comics: I want to do a brand new Superman origin story because of Infinite Crisis and the concerns of what stayed in continuity and what wasn't. But I also want to somethign different.

I like it but one thing I have always wanted to see in a Superman origin story is having Jor-El searching for planets and then comming across Earth. They always have him just saying let's send him to Earth, I'd like him to actually research it or, an idea I came up with, have the Kryptonians send some sort of probe to Earth to study it, maybe even Jor-El was project leader, hence the reason Jor-El sends him there.
But again, I did like what you wrote.

You may want to throw reference to the Birthing Matrix in your origin....so Cyborg Superman's existence fits in (since he appears post-IC).

I think at 18 Clark should travel the world as a mysterious hero of sorts. Saving people like a guardian angel but never being seen. The world will dub this unseen character as the mysterious 'Superman' (explaining why in IC, they said his career began before Metropolis).

When he saves young Lois Lane, Lois is driven to uncover the mystery of this unseen guardian angel which drives her towards Journalism. She even develops a crush/obsession with him despite never seeing him.

However, after following his miraculous stories for some years as she studies Journalism, she realizes that hes mysteriously disapeared. Clark discovered data in the ship's (that brought him to Earth) computer that details the location of Krypton. At the age of 20 he decides to go on a quest into space to find it and find the answers to who he really is. With John and Martha's approval, he sets the autopilot on the ship to go to Krypton.

During the time of his travels, he studies the holograpic teachings that Jor-El left him on the ship, learning about science, Krypton, humanity etc... When Clark arrives on Krypton, all he finds is destruction and death. Within the remains of the planet, he finds a Crystal though with the \S/ El crest on it.

When he returns to Earth, 5 years have passed. Lois earned a place at the Daily Planet by her article on 'Why the World doesnt need a Savior' as she was upset over the disapearance of this figure she once believed in.

He then decides to accept his destiny as the protector of Earth and throws the crystal he found into the arctic where it forms the Fortress (as seen in Action Comics with the Jor-El hologram). At the age of 25, Clark now becomes Superman.

And his first adventure is saving Lois from the space plane and proving to her that the world needs a hero, it needs Superman.

[Yes this is all inspired by Superman Returns]

I think Superman: man of steel by J.Byrne is perfect. One can bring in the light this or that aspect (Krypton or the kent or Smallville) but I think this origin is perfect.
I'm not saying one can't make it more precise but everyone knows this story, it is the basis. Jor El dressed in white or in black or in black & red or in black & green ..... these elements are going to change on the course of time, of course, but the basis stay the same, and in this point of view, I think S: Mo Steel is perfect.

I think at 18 Clark should travel the world as a mysterious hero of sorts. Saving people like a guardian angel but never being seen. The world will dub this unseen character as the mysterious 'Superman' (explaining why in IC, they said his career began before Metropolis).

When he saves young Lois Lane, Lois is driven to uncover the mystery of this unseen guardian angel which drives her towards Journalism. She even develops a crush/obsession with him despite never seeing him.

However, after following his miraculous stories for some years as she studies Journalism, she realizes that hes mysteriously disapeared. Clark discovered data in the ship's (that brought him to Earth) computer that details the location of Krypton. At the age of 20 he decides to go on a quest into space to find it and find the answers to who he really is. With John and Martha's approval, he sets the autopilot on the ship to go to Krypton.

During the time of his travels, he studies the holograpic teachings that Jor-El left him on the ship, learning about science, Krypton, humanity etc... When Clark arrives on Krypton, all he finds is destruction and death. Within the remains of the planet, he finds a Crystal though with the \S/ El crest on it.

When he returns to Earth, 5 years have passed. Lois earned a place at the Daily Planet by her article on 'Why the World doesnt need a Savior' as she was upset over the disapearance of this figure she once believed in.

He then decides to accept his destiny as the protector of Earth and throws the crystal he found into the arctic where it forms the Fortress (as seen in Action Comics with the Jor-El hologram). At the age of 25, Clark now becomes Superman.

And his first adventure is saving Lois from the space plane and proving to her that the world needs a hero, it needs Superman.

[Yes this is all inspired by Superman Returns]

Anything Inspired by Superman returns should not be used in the comics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"