ID Reveals Rage (PS3, 360, PC, Mac): 60 FPS, 2 DVDs / 1 Blu-ray + Quake XBLA

Zenien

Reaction score
he new property id Software executives have repeatedly hinted towards is named Rage, co-founder and programmer John Carmack revealed at today's QuakeCon festivities.

While id maintained its typical stance that the title will ship "when it's done," the company did reveal that the PlayStation 3 edition of Rage will arrive on one Blu-ray disc, whereas the other three versions--PC, Mac, Xbox 360--will come on two DVDs with a potential Blu-ray distribution for compatible systems. Through the game's use of the recently unveiled id Tech 5, which CEO Todd Hollenshead claims will run equally well on any hardware platform, all four versions of Rage are targeted to run at 60 frames per second.

5:10: Talking about game in development prior to Rage, and about 30fps versus 60fps. ID has made decision to target 60fps with its engine and games. Thus, licensees can shoot for 30fps if they like, and do more visual stuff, or stick with the 60fps goal. "At 30fps with modern graphics hardware, you feel you can do almost anything." "But at 60 hertz...you're left with a lot less decision freedoms, and it's kind of nice." Easier to just say "No you can't do that with 60 hertz."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48289
http://www.shacknews.com/docs/press/20070803_quakecon_carmack.x

The biggest news is that someone is making a game for the Mac, and apparently intends to ship it before it's been out for two years on other platforms.

As for the game itself, I'll probably pick it up on Steam, but I don't really expect much from it. Doom 3 was a little underwhelming.

I like their attitude about shooting for 60fps. I tend to prefer games that look good and play really smoothly over games that look phenomenal but have some lag in graphic-intensive areas.

I view id as a company that's style and no substance. Their games may look great, but lacking in depth. I'll pass.

Now, as for making game engines, they're one of the best at it

Yeah, the games that are built on their engines tend to be better than their own games that they originally made the engines for.

I'd like to see more, but so far looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"