IGN's Top 25 Comic Book Movies

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Havok83, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

I'm surprised Amazing Spider-Man is so high. I don't think it should be.

2. Visualiza

Visualiza Jimmy Scrambles

Agreed. Seems that this movie is one of those that critics and the media were exceedingly generous towards. Reminds me of the exceptionally high praise Warrior received last year. Not a bad film by any stretch, but it was so very average in every facet, save for Hardy's performance. Still, I could see why it was received the way it was. The difference here is that I thought TASM was a particularly bad film, but it happens. Seems that there's one or two every year.

3. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Agreed. Overall, it's a great list, though, but obviously some choices make you scratch your head in confusion.

4. TheIrishAvenger

TheIrishAvenger You are not special.

Amazing Spider-Man higher than Spider-Man 2?

5. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

The placement of TASM is actually one things I DO agree with for the most part.

6. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Isnt that a random member blog list not IGNs official?

Last I checked IGN rates Spidey 2 up pretty high on all there lists. No way ASM is on IGN's list above it. They rated it a 6/10 when it came out.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  7. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Well-Known Member

Thor and Cap higher than X-men?
    First Class higher than X2?
    The Amazing Spider-Man higher than Spider-Man 2? I like amazing spider-Man more than
    Rami Trilogy but I am in minoirty
    The Dark Knight rises so high and rated higher than batman Begins?

8. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure its just an IGN members opinion. Anyone can blog there.

I dont think their list has came out yet, or if even if they have an updated list coming.

9. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

How is that so shocking? Besides a huge fanbase, TDKR is rated higher critically than Batman Begins.

10. TheGuy

TheGuy Well-Known Member

Yes. :o

11. TheForgotten

TheForgotten Well-Known Member

X-Men: First Class is WAY too high. And Dredd should easily be on the list!

12. S. Grundy

S. Grundy Well-Known Member

Dredd was pretty boring, and really had none of the spirit of the comic. I mean there was no satire in it, at all.

13. Mace Dolex

Mace Dolex Powerful User

Yeah it should've had that sadistic satire of the first Robocop but the writers missed the boat on that one, and yet the studio scratches their heads as to the low box office.

14. TheForgotten

Dredd's tone and style easily outmatches a fourth of the comicbook films on IGN's list. Rocketeer? Spider-Man? X-Men: First Class? I found Dredd to a very over-the-top, self aware, hilarious action film that provided enough character developement and twists to be more than just a popcorn blockbuster. Sadly not everyone saw it this way. :(

And the last reason why Dredd flopped is because the "writers missed the boat" and gave it no sadistic satire.

15. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Dredd was ****ing awesome, thought it was one of the best this year.

16. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo Guitarist

I'm fascinated by our continued attempts to "prove" quality in art and to prove other people "wrong" about things they like. This thread is yet another example of how bad we fail every single time we try it. At best, we can muster a "pretty good list overall"....if the list agrees with our personal taste. Naturally our ego tells us that "What I like is good...what I don't like is bad". So any list which agrees with us is a "good list".

Sometimes we use a popular vote like IMDB...but does anyone use that list to guide their opinion of what movies are "better" than others? Do we all "admit" that Shawshank Redemption is the best movie ever made?

Then we turn to "experts" (critics). Yet another method we don't agree with. They say Vertigo is the greatest movie ever made. (They used to say it was Citizen Kane) http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/02/showbiz/uk-hitchcock-greatest-film-poll/index.html Everyone agree with that? They are the "experts" we must agree with, right?

It tells you all you need to know about art that each list is different...each method for determining "best/better" comes up with a different result. Those things don't exist in art. No one can find them because they aren't there to be found.

I used to do this myself...but I finally realized that good and bad, superior and inferior do not exist in art. The best comic book movies I've ever seen are Kick Ass, Watchmen, and Mystery Men...three-way tie for #1. That's just the way it is for me. No other list or opinion is relevant to me just like my opinion is not relevant to anyone else. How can a "list" or "critics consensus" make me feel different when I watch these movies?

Those are nice sentiments...but there is no way to prove any of it. I know I prefer the comic version of Batman big time. I think Nolan made him into a wimp. The Nolan Batman has to go if they plan to put Batman into the JLA movie.

...plus Batman has one of the most iconic costumes of all time...would be nice if someone would be brave enough to use it. The pulled it off with Spider-man so Batman should be no problem.

17. S. Grundy

S. Grundy Well-Known Member

Those three movies are way better than Dredd.

18. TheForgotten

Meh. I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I personally loved Dredd. One of my favorites of 2012 and one of my favorite superhero films.