I'm a doctor, not a Bones thread!

R_Hythlodeus

Nerd Supreme
Reaction score
this is the place to talk about Bones, his role in STiD and Karl Urbans portrayal of the doctor.
How big will his influence on Kirk be and will we finally see the Big 3 or will Uhura replace him somewhat?

I think his role as the third member of the Big 3 will be diminished somewhat, due to the necessity of gender parity. In some ways it makes sense; you don't always want to be sending your best surgeon into the thick of trouble all the time. But it's a pity, as Bones is probably the best single character across the entire Star Trek canon, IMO.

Uhura's role is definitely bumped up, partly to create a strong female character, partly because she's Spock's love interest in this timeline, but I would like some Big Three conversations like the OS.

There needs to be lots more of Bones in the sequels. Karl Urban has nailed the character and anyway, there should be lots of the old interactions between Spock, Kirk and McCoy in the new.

I'm all for better roles for the ladies, but not at the expense of one of the main characters.

There is certainly some differences in the overall dynamic with the whole Uhura thing, and judging from their commentaries the filmmakers were certainly focused on Kirk/Spock/Uhura as a central "triangle" and not just as a love triangle.

I would like to see some more of the classic dynamic in at least one scene and more Bones in general. Or if not the classic triumverant than at least a good Doctor-as-Bartender scene. Urban is fantastic.

Well if the 9 minute preview is anything to go off of we will be seeing the kind of Kirk/Spock/McCoy dialogue you guys are talking about. One telling instance is when Spock is trapped in the volcano, telling Kirk to not worry about him and that the preservation of the many comes before the individual. McCoy asks Kirk what would Spock do if he were in his situation, and Kirk says he'd let him die.

I just want to see Bones go to Kirk and offer a stiff drink while they talk about what to do about a problem. Just one scene then I'd be happy.

Uhura's role is definitely bumped up, partly to create a strong female character, partly because she's Spock's love interest in this timeline, but I would like some Big Three conversations like the OS.

Agreed

More Bones. More Big 3 interaction. Happy me.

Arguably the best damn thing about JJ's Star Trek: Bones!

yeah Karl's Bones was great, easily one of my fave castings in the film (next to Pine as Kirk, and Quinto as Spock).

I personally feel that Bones has been sidelined in favour of Uhura in this reboot. Bones brought a heart and soul (and in a way a conscience) and balance between the stoical Spock and exuberant Kirk. Now we have an emotional Spock that would put an unhinged, PMT stressed out housewife to shame, an undeservedly cocky Kirk that keeps getting his ass handed to him, and Uhura looking pretty in between.

Last edited:
I have to admit that it's a shame but I kinda understand why they did it. I'm sure it's Paramount playing a role here, wanting JJ to push Uhura. But the problem is that she's not that interesting of a character here. Even in the old show, she's just kinda there and you like her because of her natural warmth and her groundbreaking casting.

I personally don't care for this Bones at all. Something about Urban doesn't feel right to me; when I listen to him I don't hear Bones, I hear someone doing an impersonation of Bones. To me he doesn't make the role his own like the rest of the cast

I'm glad that Urban isn't a carbon copy of DeForest Kelley's Bones from the original Star Trek. I thought he was great in STID and I hope to see more Bones in future films.

I love Urban's performance as Bones, but I sure hope he gets more to do in ST3 (if there is one) than just stand around and be sarcastic. He had few lines in STID where we weren't supposed to be laughing at him.

I also didn't like the part at the end when
Jim's in the hospital bed thanking Spock for saving his life and McCoy butts in with his line about him and Uhura helping too. It was pretty rude and selfish of McCoy to interrupt like that, and then to top it off, instead of Kirk saying "Thanks, Bones, you're right" (as he should have, because if it wasn't for McCoy, Kirk would still be dead) Kirk just rolls his eyes and goes back to Spock as if McCoy didn't say anything. It's as if Kirk is saying "Yeah, whatever, shut up, McCoy, it's not like you did anything important."

I love Urban's performance as Bones, but I sure hope he gets more to do in ST3 (if there is one) than just stand around and be sarcastic. He had few lines in STID where we weren't supposed to be laughing at him.

I also didn't like the part at the end when
Jim's in the hospital bed thanking Spock for saving his life and McCoy butts in with his line about him and Uhura helping too. It was pretty rude and selfish of McCoy to interrupt like that, and then to top it off, instead of Kirk saying "Thanks, Bones, you're right" (as he should have, because if it wasn't for McCoy, Kirk would still be dead) Kirk just rolls his eyes and goes back to Spock as if McCoy didn't say anything. It's as if Kirk is saying "Yeah, whatever, shut up, McCoy, it's not like you did anything important."

Precisely. I love Urban as Bones, but the writers don't give him much to say and do other than be a one-dimensional parody of Kelley as Bones. All we ever see is his cankerous side in these movies as he spouts off one-liners. We never get to see the compassionate, softer side of a man who is a passionate healer and like we did with DeForest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"