• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Imax?

theJust

Sidekick
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread about this exactly, But I need a quick response/chat about this. So an IMAX is finally being built into the theater literally right down the street from me. Cool huh? Sure. But my friend was telling me that when he saw SW: Attack of the Clones, it was actually edited for the IMAX format?
Now I Google everything and that's why my post count is so low, cause I normally don't have to ask, but it's insane that I can't find any details on IMAX editing or film altering. This could be cause it doesn't exist? But I wanna know, cause apparently every one saw the The Dark Knight on IMAX, and that's about the same length, was it edited any? This has become a paragraph when it was a simple sentence, ugh. But any response, would be wonderful. I'm gonna check around at the Dark Knight boards till then.
The end is nigh...

Okay I found an Imax posting, funny enough with my same title, on the pretty dead non spoilers section, but it doesn't answer my question....
Will it be edited (even more) for time for IMAX?

"In the fall of 2002, IMAX and Universal Studios released a new IMAX-format of the 1995 theatrical film Apollo 13. This release marked the first use of the IMAX proprietary "DMR" (Digital Remastering) process that allowed conventional films to be upconverted into IMAX format. Other theatrically released films would subsequently be rereleased at IMAX venues using the DMR process. Because of a technical limitation on the size of the film reel, these early DMR releases were edited to conform to a two-hour length limitation, causing certain scenes to be cut. Specifically, and much to the frustration of many fans, this was the case with Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. Later releases did not have this limitation. Current IMAX platters allow a run length of up to 150 minutes. Some films, such as Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Friday the 13th, have been shown on IMAX screens using the standard 35 mm projection, but have not undergone the DMR process.

Reviewers have generally praised the results of the DMR blowup process, which have superior visual and auditory impact to the same films projected in 35 mm. Many large format film industry professionals point out, however, that DMR blowups are not comparable to films created directly in the 70 mm 15 perf IMAX format. They note that the decline of Cinerama coincided roughly with the supersession of the original process with a simplified, reduced cost, technically inferior version, and view DMR with alarm. IMAX originally reserved the phrase "the IMAX experience" for true 70 mm productions, but now allows its use on DMR productions as well. However, IMAX DMR versions of commercial Hollywood films are generally popular with audiences, with many people choosing to pay more than standard admission to see the IMAX version."

Upcoming DMR films

* Watchmen
* Monsters vs. Aliens (in 3-D)
* Star Trek
* Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
* Terminator Salvation
* Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (in 3-D)
* Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs[1] (in 3-D)
* Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (partially in 3-D)

why are you keep replying to yourself, just edit your first post

No, it's not gonna be edited. The Attack of the Clones IMAX edit was back in 2002, when they only had a certain amount of time allowed on IMAX reels. Now, 7 years later, the technology has advanced. The Dark Knight had the same running time in IMAX as it did in regular theaters, as will Watchmen.

But...the Watchmen WAS edited. They cut out Hollis' death scene to meet the running time for an IMAX film. So now, no more Hollis death in both IMAX and theater.

But...the Watchmen WAS edited. They cut out Hollis' death scene to meet the running time for an IMAX film. So now, no more Hollis death in both IMAX and theater.
Okay, so maybe the maximum amount of film an IMAX reel can take is 2 hours and 40 minutes worth instead of 2 hours and 45 minutes.

why are you keep replying to yourself, just edit your first post

I'm glad you learned the basics of editing in message boards in a month. Promising kid.
:oldrazz:
Speaking of editing, you might want to switch out the are in your sentence for do.

And to everyone else thanks for the contributions. Glad to know the truth. :cwink:

I'm glad you learned the basics of editing in message boards in a month. Promising kid.
:oldrazz:
Speaking of editing, you might want to switch out the are in your sentence for do.

And to everyone else thanks for the contributions. Glad to know the truth. :cwink:

i go to other forums (and a Mod on one of them) so i know the proper etiquette of the forum
and yea, i know my grammar sucks
i cant do anything about it

man, if they had to cut scenes just so it could meet imax limitations, that is ********. i hope that's not true. if you can keep hollis mason's death, then i'd rather see it on a regular screen. imax is awesome, but not worth losing important scenes over. that was the saddest scene in the book. that's ****ed up

They could have just cut it for overall time reasons, unless there's an interview with Zack Snyder that says they cut it for the reason you stated.

A 35-mm film needs to go through a DMR process to be blown up to IMAX size, so they could have easily cut it from the IMAX version if they wanted to. They don't get THAT much revenue from the IMAX theaters, because there's so few of them. Even TDK, the highest-grossing IMAX feature film, only got $50 million (out of its $530 million domestic gross) from IMAX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"