In game XMB to come this month?

Havok83

Avenger
Reaction score
Apparently this is from Inifinty Ward who made CoD4:

3- "Playstation 3 firmware update to bring in-game "cross media bar"

" Users will soon be able to access PS3 console settings, send instant messages, and scroll through other system options while in the middle of a game."

"The console's main menu, known as the XMB (Cross Media Bar), handles the entire navigation of the PS3, including access to music, video, games, and online options. The latter of that list is the most significant part of this future update.

As it stands now, to send a basic message to another PS3 user while playing a game, you need to exit the game and access the "friends" feature from the XMB. Some games do allow you to send an invite for other users to join you, but it forces you into a game room and you have no way of communicating after that. Adding the in-game XMB functionality would be crucial to chatting with people without needing to find a save point, quit the game, and then access the messaging feature."
Summing up

GDC 2008 is coming up, sony has the patch on hand..the firmware is still not out..and 2.10 is about soon to be 2 months old..2.20 to give ingame XMB ingame..so in other words:

In Cod4, with the new firmware and cod4 patch, it will be possible to access friends list via the XMB.

All we have to do is wait for sony's conference at the GDC 2008, which is happening Thursday 21st between 12-1 PM
http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=302577

Well getting the friends list/messaging part is good, they still need to open up music access, which this update doesn't confirm as a feature, though it could still be there.

AWESOME

Basic functionality has finally been achieved a mere year and a half after the console's initial release :rolleyes:

yaay sony! Playing catchup is fun :o

I'd be very happy with just that for now. As long as steps are being made made in the right direction I can more than sacrifice the music option for a good while.

ha ha ha

you pay a premiuim from the console and then get ecstatic when they give you a few measley crumbs from the table that should have been included from the start

sony fans = ultimate grand masters of self dellusion

Wait...PS3 doesnt have in game music or friends list? I never really read up on it, I just sort of assumed it would...WTF?

but those things don't matter to REAL gamers

or at least they don't till sony finally has them

then they're utterly groundbreaking :rolleyes:

:blu-rayvsHD DVDdejavu:

corporate apologists FTW!

Facist, knock it off. If you don't like Sony, fine. Don't start flame wars over it. If you want to debate like an adult, thats fine too. Just be respectful, please.

I just can't hold this any longer so I have to ask the stupid question... What is so important about this In Game XMB? I know there is a lot of talk about wanting it etc, but why?

As for the in game music people ask for, it should be possible by now, I mean even the PlayStation had it... be it you had to take the disk out and put a cd in but it was possible

the major reason people want it is for messaging people or responding to messages without leaving a game.

I can see why some people would want that but why such a fuss about it? Personally, I don't know anyone else with a PS3 so the messaging function is kinda void for me but hopefully there's more to it than just the messaging side of it

WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME DANG NABBIT!!!:mad::oldrazz::D I PROBABLY WON'T USE IT AS MUCH AS SOME, BUT IT'S STILL NICE TO HAVE THE OPTION,;) PERSONALLY I'M MORE EXCITED ABOUT WHAT HOME WILL BRING TO THE TABLE!!!:o:D:up:

I can see why some people would want that but why such a fuss about it? Personally, I don't know anyone else with a PS3 so the messaging function is kinda void for me but hopefully there's more to it than just the messaging side of it
well if you dont have any PS3 friends than it wont be helpful but for those who do, its useful. So far Brunout Paradise is the only game with limited in game XMB to allow for messaging. I really dont understand how Criterion was able to do but no other company has done so before now

And its not only good for messaging but also changing your settings. Depending on what game or blu-ray/dvd you are playing, you may want to use a different resolution and as of now, you cant change it unless you are in the PS3's main menu. Allowing for support within a game or movie would be very helpful

as the xbox 360 has so clearly illustrated since it's release :up:

exactly my point :huh:

you're viewing this as a positive

when in reality it's a negative

you're praising sony for giving you something you should have had all along

sony fans for some reason cannot accept that they are getting ****ed

so they make excuses

madness :huh:

that's why it's relevant to the topic and the discussion

exactly my point :huh:

you're viewing this as a positive

when in reality it's a negative

you're praising sony for giving you something you should have had all along

sony fans for some reason cannot accept that they are getting ****ed

so they make excuses

madness :huh:

that's why it's relevant to the topic and the discussion
when in this thread have I praised Sony? All I have done was copy and pasted some info and then explained the uses for the XMB to another poster

calm down hippy fascist
news is news, whether or not it's "late"

He does have a point though. This really is something that should have been included from the start. I can forgive Wii for not having it, as there's not really a big focus on friends lists or customization with it. But for a system like the PS3 that totes it's online and customization, this is something that should have been there from day 1.

He does have a point though. This really is something that should have been included from the start. I can forgive Wii for not having it, as there's not really a big focus on friends lists or customization with it. But for a system like the PS3 that totes it's online and customization, this is something that should have been there from day 1.

:up:

No disagreeing that it should have been there from day 1, and that its a bloody pain mid-Guitar Hero someone asking if I want to play CoD4 when I don't. So I'm happy Sony are finally getting off their backsides and doing it, even though it should have been in the majorly dissapointing 2.0 update.

He's right that it should have been aded day 1, but *****ing and moaning and saying "I'm viewing this as a negative" that they're finally adding it, is a bit biased or whatever. They're adding it, that's a good thing, they took too long to add it, that parts a bad thing, but not worth this kind of fuss and flame baiting.

ha ha ha

you pay a premiuim from the console and then get ecstatic when they give you a few measley crumbs from the table that should have been included from the start

sony fans = ultimate grand masters of self dellusion

Okay, so how about Xbox 360's standard hard drive, and LED rings that don't turn red? Yeah, that's real quality craftsmanship there. :o

as the xbox 360 has so clearly illustrated since it's release :up:

Y'know, I'd rate Microsoft charging you money for nothing, and how they've locked out developers from using the hard drives because of the arcade SKU, as bigger crimes against gamers than fricking in game XMB.

If anyone's delusional here it's you.

Don't want to buy the useless themes or picture packs, then just don't. It's not like you are forced into it or there is nothing you can do about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"