Firmware 1.80: 1080p Upscaling For Dvd On Ps3!!!

The Guardian

Forever In Darkness
Reaction score
THIS IS FREAKIN AWESOME, WAY TO GO SONY!!!:eek::eek::eek::D:up::up:

1080p Upscaling for DVD on PS3
Latest firmware update adds 1080p upscaling for PSone and PS2 games too.
by Rob Burman, IGN UK

UK, May 23, 2007 - Sony has announced that the latest version of the PlayStation 3 firmware - available to download on May 24 - upscales PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games and DVD movies to full 1080p HD resolution.

Firmware 1.80 also enables users on a home network to use the PS3 to view images, listen to music or play videos, which are stored on their DLNA3 devices (including PCs and laptops) elsewhere in the house.

The PSP's Remote Play function is also set to be improved thanks to the firmware update and PSP owners can now access their PS3 from anywhere in the world - as long as they have a broadband connection and firmware 3.50 for the PSP, which is available at the end of May.

Finally, firmware 1.80 includes the ability to print photo images stored on PS3's hard disk drive or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers via the USB connection.

This is good news. I wish there was some way they could scale 720p games into 1080i for those of us with crappy older HDTVs, but this is still a very signifigant update. And the media streaming options sound great, too.

Does anyone know if the upscaled PS2 games are going to be upscaled just by blurring the pixels like with DVDs, or are they actually going to use emulation to render the games at a higher native resolution? That would be totally awesome.

This is good news. I wish there was some way they could scale 720p games into 1080i for those of us with crappy older HDTVs, but this is still a very signifigant update. And the media streaming options sound great, too.

Does anyone know if the upscaled PS2 games are going to be upscaled just by blurring the pixels like with DVDs, or are they actually going to use emulation to render the games at a higher native resolution? That would be totally awesome.

I HOPE THEY DO IT NATIVELY, BUT WHO CARES, IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!:oldrazz::D:up: NOW I CAN STREAM SPIDEY 3 THE MOVIE WHILE I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OUTBACK, WAITING FOR THE PSP VERSION OF THE MOVIE GAME TO COME OUT ON OCTOBER 9TH, 2062!!!:mad::oldrazz::D:up:

So I'm taking it that the PS3 won't have to be on anymore for the PSP to do remote play? That'd be awesome.

So I'm taking it that the PS3 won't have to be on anymore for the PSP to do remote play? That'd be awesome.

I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THAT, HOPEFULLY!!! I'LL SEND YOU A POSTCARD FROM THE OUTBACK AND LET YOU KNOW!!!:oldrazz::oldrazz::oldrazz::D:D:D:up:

I'll sit eagerly for the mail. :p

does the system already upscale to 720p?

no it doesn't upscale at all right now

No word on watching Blu-Ray DVDs in 720p, but this is an awesome update. I also read that copying PS1 and PS2 save games to memory cards will now be possible with the memory card adapter thingy.

Very cool.

EDIT: And this may be a stupid question, but what is used to measure the quality of video? I always thought it was the resolution, but if upscaling means DVDs will be in 1080p, then that's obviously not right. I mean, I'm assuming a standard DVD upscaled will not look anything like a Blu-Ray DVD.

Finally ps2/dvd upscaling.

Access to PS3 anywhere in the world with a PSP, AWESOME.

EDIT: And this may be a stupid question, but what is used to measure the quality of video? I always thought it was the resolution, but if upscaling means DVDs will be in 1080p, then that's obviously not right. I mean, I'm assuming a standard DVD upscaled will not look anything like a Blu-Ray DVD.

Basically, the update lets you scale movies to 1080p, so they'll look noticeably better than before. However, it's not 1080p native, so basically what's happening is the machine is fudging out the pixels to make them look smoother. While it gives you a smoother picture, it's no-where near as crisp, clean, or detailed as Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray runs in 1080p native, so it is still the only way to get a theater-quality experience at home.

HI GUYS, THE UPDATE IS UP SO WHEN EVER YOU'RE READY YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT!!! I TRIED THE SCALING WITH SPIDER-MAN 2, HULK, ULTIMATE DESTRUCTION, AND TOMB RAIDER LEGENDS AND YOU CAN DEFINATELY SEE A DIFFERENCE IN SHARPNESS AND IN HOW VIBRANT THE COLORS ARE, VERY NICE!!!:D:up::up:

so if you dont have a 1080p enabled HD, you wont notice the difference? The reason why I ask is bc the HDTV Im looking at only goes up to 720p

Basically, the update lets you scale movies to 1080p, so they'll look noticeably better than before. However, it's not 1080p native, so basically what's happening is the machine is fudging out the pixels to make them look smoother. While it gives you a smoother picture, it's no-where near as crisp, clean, or detailed as Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray runs in 1080p native, so it is still the only way to get a theater-quality experience at home.

Thanks, Timstuff. That makes perfect sense.

so if you dont have a 1080p enabled HD, you wont notice the difference? The reason why I ask is bc the HDTV Im looking at only goes up to 720p

I think you'll still notice a difference, but not as big as someone with a 1080p TV. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since it upscales "up" to 1080p, that means it includes 1080i and 720p.

No word on watching Blu-Ray DVDs in 720p, but this is an awesome update. I also read that copying PS1 and PS2 save games to memory cards will now be possible with the memory card adapter thingy.

Very cool.

You can now watch Blu-Rays in 720p

I think you'll still notice a difference, but not as big as someone with a 1080p TV. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since it upscales "up" to 1080p, that means it includes 1080i and 720p.

YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT, I RAN MY STUFF AT 720P(MY TV GOES UP TO 1080I) AND IT LOOKS GREAT!!!:eek::D:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"