In the Kitchen with DKDetective and InCali: All Things Food, Wine, and Spirits, Etc.

The Chef Show with Jon Favreau, but I'm not familiar with a show called "Chef", maybe a title change between regions?
Nah, that's just me being lazy to write the full name of the show, but yeah.. that's the one! With Jon.

And, my friends, is why DK gets all those delicate meals done and I just eat a cheese sandwich for dinner.

LnT2JBH.png

:o

For real though, can the Kitchen Masters here tell me what this is exactly?

For real though, can the Kitchen Masters here tell me what this is exactly?

I've made something along these lines. I call it stuffed flank steak (How Fing original of me LOL). You roll the mushroom bake up in flank steak pounded to about 1/4 inch, tie it into a cylinder, bake it, cut it, and serve it as finger food on a plate.

Monsieur Salieri, any comments?

I've made something along these lines. I call it stuffed flank steak (How Fing original of me LOL). You roll the mushroom bake up in flank steak pounded to about 1/4 inch, tie it into a cylinder, bake it, cut it, and serve it as finger food on a plate.

Monsieur Salieri, any comments?
Some form of Stromboli. It's just a fancy pizza roll basically, Monsieur Federline.

So, I got to thinking this morning that sometimes the simplest things can taste really good. This is especially true if it's something you haven't had in awhile. Last night, I cooked and sliced 4 large shrimp in olive oil, salt, pepper and a light squeeze of lemon, put a flour tortilla in a pan, melted a cheese mixture on it, added the shrimp, topped with salsa fresca (basically jalapenos, green onion, tomato, a little pepper, a touch of garlic and a squeeze of lime), and made a quesadilla. It was delicious; though I'm a well known mexican food freak, I hadn't eaten shrimp in quite awhile. I think that makes it taste better. I wonder what goes on in our little brains that makes this so.........

I feed my dogs a high quality dry food and, as they are miniature poodles, they tend to be a little bit fussy. I usually cook some salmon, lamb, bison, etc (no beef or chicken.....dogs are more likely to be allergic to those protein sources and miniature poodles tend to have allergies) and mix it in with maybe a little rice to make it taste better. So, it got me to thinking that I might want to rotate a little more than I do. BTW, the vet told me that I should avoid giving a lot of pork to my dogs (I'll give them a little bit of bacon on weekends which is usually when I cook breakfast). Evidently it has a certain kind of fat that is difficult for them to digest and can contribute to pancreatitis. I guess that's why they don't have pork dog food.

Made two different pesto today, how long does it last?

One with: basil, nuts, parmesan, sea salt and oil (just regular oil), garlic paste.

The second one: (rehydrated, of course) dried tomatoes, nuts, parmesan, sea salt and oil, garlic paste.

I keep them in the fridge.

Made two different pesto today, how long does it last?

One with: basil, nuts, parmesan, sea salt and oil (just regular oil), garlic paste.

The second one: (rehydrated, of course) dried tomatoes, nuts, parmesan, sea salt and oil, garlic paste.

I keep them in the fridge.

Yum. Sounds good. I love pesto. Basil and artichoke is really, really good.

What kind of nuts do you use? Pine nuts are really good in pesto.

I like the taste of olive oil best. I also got this avocado oil that was awesome.

Yum. Sounds good. I love pesto. Basil and artichoke is really, really good.

What kind of nuts do you use? Pine nuts are really good in pesto.

I like the taste of olive oil best. I also got this avocado oil that was awesome.

Walnuts! Olive oil I understand that could have be the better choice but it's stronger, more invasive.

Avocado Oil... I never tried it.

Walnuts! Olive oil I understand that could have be the better choice but it's stronger, more invasive.

Avocado Oil... I never tried it.

It's definitely got a more distinct taste than canola or something like that, but I guess I've gotten used to it (even like it) because I use it almost exclusively. Walnuts are good. I eat a couple of handfuls every day.

This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving and, due to the second wave here in Ontario, the government has discouraged any sort of family gatherings for the holidays. So finally unencumbered by old relatives demanding a roast turkey out of tradition, I finally got to do my dream menu for my wife and I for her birthday yesterday.

It was Thanksgiving a la Troisgros and Bocuse: Roast Duck and Turnips with Sweet and Sour Currant Sauce and Pearl Onions:
PXL_20201011_020236633.jpg PXL_20201011_021700387.jpg
Paired with a classic Burgundian Pinot Noir from Savigny-les-Beaunes.

Pretty darn impressed with myself, if I do say so myself.

This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving and, due to the second wave here in Ontario, the government has discouraged any sort of family gatherings for the holidays. So finally unencumbered by old relatives demanding a roast turkey out of tradition, I finally got to do my dream menu for my wife and I for her birthday yesterday.

It was Thanksgiving a la Troisgros and Bocuse: Roast Duck and Turnips with Sweet and Sour Currant Sauce and Pearl Onions:
View attachment 38062 View attachment 38064

Looks awesome. I would've taken shortcuts. :cwink:

View attachment 38062 View attachment 38064

Turnips and brussel sprouts are about the only foods I don't really eat. Sprouts because they have a very strong taste which doesn't agree with me (probably like cooking eggs to you) and turnips because I "think" they are kind of bitter. TBH, I haven't eaten a turnip since I can't remember. Are they bitter? If so, is there a way you minimize that?

Liver.....I hate liver. It makes me sick to just smell it cooking. A LOT like eggs for you.

Turnips and brussel sprouts are about the only foods I don't really eat. Sprouts because they have a very strong taste which doesn't agree with me (probably like cooking eggs to you) and turnips because I "think" they are kind of bitter. TBH, I haven't eaten a turnip since I can't remember. Are they bitter? If so, is there a way you minimize that?

Liver.....I hate liver. It makes me sick to just smell it cooking. A LOT like eggs for you.

Turnips are not bitter in my experience, but my experience is that a lot of stores sell rutabagas interchangeably with turnips. Turnips can be bitter if they are large, which is not true of rutabagas. If you buy small turnips like is directed in a lot of French recipes, the turnips will be sweet and tender. Also, if you think your turnips are old or if they are larger than you prefer, it is best to blanch them in a little bit of sweetened water to help tenderize and bring out their natural sugars.

By the way, here is a photo of my White Boy Canadian taco recipe we discussed previously (except with flank steak):
PXL_20201011_190324174.jpg
Okay, @DarthSkywalker, feel free to follow with some razz about my cultural appropriation.:oldrazz:

Turnips are not bitter in my experience, but my experience is that a lot of stores sell rutabagas interchangeably with turnips. Turnips can be bitter if they are large, which is not true of rutabagas. If you buy small turnips like is directed in a lot of French recipes, the turnips will be sweet and tender. Also, if you think your turnips are old or if they are larger than you prefer, it is best to blanch them in a little bit of sweetened water to help tenderize and bring out their natural sugars.

By the way, here is a photo of my White Boy Canadian taco recipe we discussed previously (except with flank steak):
View attachment 38065
Okay, @DarthSkywalker, feel free to follow with some razz about my cultural appropriation.:oldrazz:

Yeah. I'd heard the small ones are better. I've also heard you can boil them with potatoes, but don't know if that's true. Probably the same reason as sweetened water.

Bruh.....that doesn't look like a taco. I see tomato, cilantro, and meat. What the hell is that other S***? :funny:

Yeah. I'd heard the small ones are better. I've also heard you can boil them with potatoes, but don't know if that's true. Probably the same reason as sweetened water.

Bruh.....that doesn't look like a taco. I see tomato, cilantro, and meat. What the hell is that other S***? :funny:
Hey hey hey! My research indicates that flour tortillas are perfectly acceptable* and traditional in many varieties of taco, man, especially when one has a corn intolerance! :argh:

The rest is some red onion crema agria, salsa freco, and a little cheese, all perfectly appropriate! Well, the cheese is some cave-aged English cheddar and is not really traditional, but I like it damnit! :oldrazz:

*Choosing Sides: Flour or Corn Tortillas? - LA Weekly.

Hey hey hey! My research indicates that flour tortillas are perfectly acceptable* and traditional in many varieties of taco, man, especially when one has a corn intolerance! :argh:

The rest is some red onion crema agria, salsa freco, and a little cheese, all perfectly appropriate! Well, the cheese is some cave-aged English cheddar and is not really traditional, but I like it damnit! :oldrazz:

*Choosing Sides: Flour or Corn Tortillas? - LA Weekly.

I use something like that when I make fish tacos. Some lime, onion, chipotle, a little salt and some garlic powder. Cabbage is also good with it.

I'm familiar with LA Weekly.....it's a free newspaper that pimps anything that's downtown LA.

I like flour tortillas. It's one of the only forms of wheat that I eat. When I do eat them, I call them quesadillas or burritos. :oldrazz:

Sucks you can't eat corn. I don't know if you like spicy, but you should try my chiles rellenos casserole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"