Iron Man Sequels Iron Man 3 confirmed

Favreau talks about The Mandarin.

You've got to do the Mandarin. The problem with the Mandarin is that the way it's depicted in the comic books, you don't want to see that.

He has 10 magical rings — that just doesn't feel right for our [franchise]. So it's either tech-based, or the rings are not really rings. But maybe with Thor and all those others, you'll introduce magic to that world and it won't seem so out of place.

Tech based rings with possible allusions to their alien origins is the way to go, IMO.

Tech based rings with possible allusions to their alien origins is the way to go, IMO.

That's how I've imagined it. It'd be pretty cool.

And to tell you the truth...I would love to see Mandarin use Fin Fang Foom. It doesn't have to be a mystical creature, they could make it a technological monster Mandarin creates.

OR go the mystical route because we've got that coming up in the Thor film anyway (which I cannot wait to see, looks amazing).

Fing Fang Foom was never mystical, as I recall. There's nothing magic about him. He's an alien who happens to resemble a chinese dragon(maybe the source of legends about dragons in china, for all I know). And the components of his downed ship's hyperdrive is what the Mandarin uses to make his rings.

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE: Jon Favreau All Ears For Disney's 'Magic Kingdom' Feature Film
MIKE FLEMING said:
He just completed Cowboys & Aliens, the DreamWorks/Universal co-production that stars Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford. Favreau will finish that film for release on July 29, 2011, and he is expected to re-team with Robert Downey Jr. for a third Iron Man, the franchise which was one of the Marvel films bought out from Paramount to be distributed by Disney.

From Variety:
Favreau enters Disney's 'Magic Kingdom' - 'Iron Man' helmer to develop family feature for studio
Marc Graser said:
Favreau is already busy prepping for "Iron Man 3," which he will direct for Disney-based Marvel for summer 2013. He recently wrapped "Cowboys and Aliens" for DreamWorks and Universal.

From Variety:
Disney's 'Magic' ride - Theme park to star in film

Last edited:

i agree... i suggest utilizing alien tech, which could appear as magic. fing fang foom shouldn't exist... but i wouldn't mind nods at him with green dragon statues and such.

i'd have ironman 3 include... Madame Masque, Mandarin, and some other armored villain

Just FYI, there's precedence for the Mandarin wearing tech armor as well. He also even had a giant mechanical dragon once.

Interesting that the reports indicate that Favreau is on board with a third movie. Either way, I hope he is involved in some capacity if he does not actually direct. If Favreau is burnt out, I think a new director taking the reins wouldn't be bad for the franchise, but I would prefer Favreau staying on.

The thing is, Favreau has to stop being scared of approaching the Mandarin character. And anything remotely not tech-based. Like it or not, they are putting Iron Man in the realm of non-tech based/fantasy stuff. And we've known about it for years.

The Mandarin works best when he's more Prometheus/Bane/Deathstroke than Merlin. Keep the rings relatively modest and keep his general presentation gritty.

^If I had a clue who those were I'm sure I'd have an opinion.

Cool find. :up:

Glad to hear from Jon own mouth that he's coming back for the third one.

I don't see why? These movies are just continuations of each other, like in the comic world.

Just as long as they focus on Iron Man vs Mandarin and the Ten Rings in the next one everything should be fine.

So does Iron Man 3 "picking up where Thor, Captain America, and Avengers left off" mean that there will be cameos in this one? That would be pretty cool. I think a film where Iron Man is the protagonist but the other Avengers are present could be a cool and unique concept.

Should work when adapting the Armor Wars storyline what with how it put Iron Man at odds with Captain America.

Should work when adapting the Armor Wars storyline what with how it put Iron Man at odds with Captain America.

would be interesting... especially if the next big event rumor of the marvel movie verse is civil war... could be a precursor to how they don't get along

Civil War should be quite a way down the road. I know movies move faster than comics do but they shouldn't do a Civil War Avengers movie until at least the 3rd film if not even further. And that's assuming a Civil War movie is actually a good idea at all(I'm still on the fence about it).

So does Iron Man 3 "picking up where Thor, Captain America, and Avengers left off" mean that there will be cameos in this one? That would be pretty cool. I think a film where Iron Man is the protagonist but the other Avengers are present could be a cool and unique concept.

Agree. I look forward to finding out more on the Iron Man 3 story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"