Iron Man Iron Man attempt at Movie costume

tk1780

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Bear with me as I am not sure if these links will work. I can not seem to post pictures on here and have asked the mods for help, but no one has got back to me.

These are shots of my Iron Man armor in progress. Note I did not make the helmet, that came from elsewhere but the rest is mine.
Let me know what you think.

IronManmockupwithforearms.jpg

IronManmockupwithforearms1.jpg

Picture008.jpg

It is a long way from being finished, and no that is not the paint color, jsut a red primer while it is being worked on. Dont have TMP's skill for a lot of this, but am trying.

I got lucky posting the pictures so hope I can add some more down the road as more gets done. The arms will be attached togther by means of a seperate cuff that goes into the elbow area. It connects ( not pictured) to the bicept so it all looks like 1 piece. It will take a lot of stress as it will be attached by ruber on the inside. So if it takes to much stress at the join it will just pull away rather than break away, one is easier to fix than the other.

The lower abb/ back section is being cast in vinyl / rubber,for movement same for the neck and any area you see not covered in armor. The main armor is all fiberglass. The groin/ butt and remaining armor is all being worked on and will also be cast in fiberglass. Goal is to have this completed by Mid to late April just priot to the movie release, so far so good.

Whhhoooooooooooooooa! Dude ! That Rocks ! Where the F did you figure out how to do that ! How do I get a copy of this man ? Like F__king A! I Want one !

Send me a note email whatever I want gime gime ! To cool, how much ?

Um...thanks for the comments ZK. As to building it, I have done some small stuff for modleing table top wargaming terrain and things like that. This is my most ambitious project to date. I have never done anything like this before.

When it was being sculpted I went through a lot of clay before I got the shape down the way I wanted it. That is also why I did not make my own helmet. I have a newer version of this on the way, but for now this one fits with what I am doing. But I did not think I could build the helmet at least not yet.

Also when I decided to build this I wanted it so the whole thing was armor, so had to figure out how all the areas where you see any cloth or skin could be covered over, so had to figure out how to work with ruber as well as fiberglass.

There are lots of tutorials on line for sculpting, moulding in fiberglass, things like that. Its not so much hard, as it is is scary to decide to do something. Also this was a lot cheraper than going out and trying to buy a suit like this or contracting someone to build it for me. I dont even want to guess what it would cost to get somone to build something like this for me from Scratch. If I had to guess I would say the $10,000 mark for sure.

By the weay, sorry, I am not building this in such away to make copys of it, so cant help you with buying a set. This will be the only one of is kind. Unless I get someone who can help me cast it up in reuseable molds (lol) my molds were designed for rough casts, not for multiple copies.

Again glad you like it, will try for some moe pictures as I get more done.

Dude ??? Your not interested in selling copys ??? I am in for one if I can get it for like $1000 or so. Come on, how much harder would it be for you to cast up copys ? This is going to be a killer suit to have at the premier for this.

What do you say TK ? $1000 cash ? that will proabaly pay for all the work you have done.

By the way, for a first time doing this you should like get working doing this full time, that is kick @$$ man ! I dont know how you guys can figure this out in your head and then make it happen. Likw wow.

Looks good thus far! And molding then making copys of his suit is not as cheap as one might think with the price of RVT silicone ect..

Looks good thus far! And molding then making copys of his suit is not as cheap as one might think with the price of RVT silicone ect..

Is it not easier to make a copy once you have it built ? How much more could it cost if your going to then be able to sell off copys ? Wont that pay for the costs of what you have done so far. Makes sense to me that you would want to make copys of this so you could recover the cost of building it by selling off a few.

Thats what the guys who made stormtrooper armor did and look at how many of those suits are now out there, and you can buy them for not to bad cash.

What say you TK sure you dont want to make a few to sell ?:huh: :woot:

Zombiekiller. Again thanks for the comments, but have to correct you on a few things.
Making castable molds is not easy, and it is time consuing and expensive. To make molds of all the parts rough figure, the molding compound is going to run an easy $5-800. Depending if I get the molds right the first go around. A lot of times you mess it up and it does not work, so scrpa $100-200 of molding compound.
Stomtrooper armor, for the most part, is vacume fromed, heated plastic then droped onto a solid mold. Fairly easy to crank out if you have the right system. My armor is fiberglass, could be made by vacume forming I guess, or parts of it. But still would be hard to do.
Anyway, my guess to get this into a castable situation for me is at least $1500-2000 not including my time.

Also the helmet is not my cast, and I am not going to recast somone elses work, no way no how. As in wrong wrong wrong. I want to stay in this hobby for a while, I am not going to get branded a recaster.

The other thing is the body suit, helmet, boots, ( armor fits over the boots) is something you would have to buy on your own.

Also, $1000 ??? that would buy you the helmet, boots body suit, and maybe 1 arm. I am not kidding. There is close to 400 man hours into this armor, my material cost in clay, fiberglass, molding compound itself is almost $3000. I put close to 2 hundred hours into just doing all the sculpting.
Not trying to dampen your entusiasim, but even on my end, if I was able to cast up all the parts to sell, thats the vinly for the knees elbows, neck, and all the fiberglass, supply a bodysuit, I could not do it for like less than the $3000 mark. And again I can not as I am not in a position to do it.

This was just an experiment for me to A) see if I could do it. B) have fun making it. C ) make it look like something. I did not get into building it to make copys.
Not only that, I would not want the wrath of a Marvel or something to clamp down on my head for license infringment, thats a sort of serious thing I dont need on my back. So maybe other guys can make armor like this and sell it and can do it for $1000 ( I dont know who ??? ) but it is not me.
Sorry if I come accross as being rude or anything, not my intent, just trying to give you some facts. Again long and short, I am not going to be making copys, this is a once only build just for me.:cwink:

Sorry if I come accross as being rude or anything, not my intent, just trying to give you some facts. Again long and short, I am not going to be making copys, this is a once only build just for me.:cwink:

IMO you didn't come off as rude but that is my 2cents.
BTW you matched the armor up pretty well with the
(weaselflinger) Ironman helmet.:bow:

IMO you didn't come off as rude but that is my 2cents.
BTW you matched the armor up pretty well with the
(weaselflinger) Ironman helmet.:bow:

Good Eye Gundam, you are bang on , yes that is one of Weaselflingers helmets. I was not up to trying to build it myself and he was good enough to sell me a copy. He has more skill in his little finger than I could hope to have in both hands. :oldrazz: I pay homage where it is due.

Thanks for the comments. also I was trying not to tick anyone off just trying t make sure my point came out clear.
:cwink:

Good Eye Gundam, you are bang on , yes that is one of Weaselflingers helmets. I was not up to trying to build it myself and he was good enough to sell me a copy. He has more skill in his little finger than I could hope to have in both hands. :oldrazz: I pay homage where it is due.

Thanks for the comments. also I was trying not to tick anyone off just trying t make sure my point came out clear.

TK you did not tick me off. Thanks for the info stuff.

Everyone is entitled to charge what they want for stuff if the demand is there. I still dont quite understand why your not going to cast these up but thats your call. I woundent buy one for $3000 but it sounds like guys like Gundam would so what the hell, where there is one there is another :woot:

I have no clue what a Weaselfinger helmet is Did you guys just make that up ? :whatever: Anyway...?

Still TK I like what you are doing, I hope you post up more pictures. Are you going to wear this at any of the Cons this year or what ?

Wish I could convince you to make a copy of this, something about the way it looks seems to work for me more than the other guys Iron Man, not sure why ?

I woundent buy one for $3000 but it sounds like guys like Gundam would so what the hell, where there is one there is another :woot:

I have no clue what a Weaselfinger helmet is Did you guys just make that up ? :whatever: Anyway...?

Weaselfinger is a talented sculptor in the prop community that created the helmet TK is using. He is also working on suit of armor based more on the comic style IRONMAN. He offered his helmets in limited run one for the movie style one comic style last year.

Weaselfinger is a talented sculptor in the prop community that created the helmet TK is using. He is also working on suit of armor based more on the comic style IRONMAN. He offered his helmets in limited run one for the movie style one comic style last year.

Right again Gundam. I talked with Weaslfinger the other day via email. He is still working on stuff and a new helmet, now that the sideshow one is not wearable.

As to his armor he was thinking he might just make it as a static prop rahter than wearable. It had the look of the Civil war version last time I saw some pictures, but I recall he was considering changing this to more of a movie version. I could be wrong on the last part however.

Hope he does makes a costume version as again his sculpting is incredible.

Right again Gundam. I talked with Weaslfinger the other day via email. He is still working on stuff and a new helmet, now that the sideshow one is not wearable.

As to his armor he was thinking he might just make it as a static prop rahter than wearable. It had the look of the Civil war version last time I saw some pictures, but I recall he was considering changing this to more of a movie version. I could be wrong on the last part however.

Hope he does makes a costume version as again his sculpting is incredible.

Thats good to know he hasn't updated his post on the RPF in a while so i was wondering if he was still working on the project. I'd love to see a Civil war ironman suit! I'm not to big on the movie look vs the comic.

Gundam, I have a hell of a time trying to post pictures here , I dont know his newer pics on the RPF. My computer will not clue into the RPF so have not been on for about 2 mths. But if you want to email me I can send you the last pictures he sent to me.

email is [email protected]

Hey Gang

Here are a few more shots. Note no, this is not the color of the suit. However the red color is going to be very close to the red you see on the body suit.

The other parts you see are just the primer or cast color of how they were made. Nothing is painted yet.

Note the body suit is only going to be used as a back up for anytimny gaps that might show through at some point. The whole body will be covered by either the fiberglass or ruber components
Picture017.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Hey Gang

Here are a few more shots. Note no, this is not the color of the suit. However the red color is going to be very close to the red you see on the body suit.

The other parts you see are just the primer or cast color of how they were made. Nothing is painted yet.

Note the body suit is only going to be used as a back up for anytimny gaps that might show through at some point. The whole body will be covered by either the fiberglass or ruber components
Picture017.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture012.jpg
i see you have TMP suit designs on the wall in the back ground and the movie one nice way to get started :stark

Your bang on, good eyes. When I went to startthis, there was like next to no pictures at all of the suit. So I got them from where ever I could :cwink:

Got the main part of the thigh armor complete, this is the main part of a 3 part cast. Each leg has 3 extra parts being cast up that will be attached once complete. So there will be more detail once everything else is added on.

Again nothing is painted yet.:oldrazz: Just primoer or the color of the cast fiberglass.

IronManLegSection3.jpg

IronManLegSection2.jpg

IronManLegSection1.jpg

Glad we can be of inspiration ;) (Ref. Photo on the wall :)

BTW...
Nice work on the suit. Its cool to se a variaty of variouse costume versions. Ironman been portraited variouse ways.

Can we se photos of the back?
What size it it made for?

Keep up the nice work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back