Iron Man Iron Man attempt at Movie costume

TMP

For certain you were an inspiration. I will also appologise a bit for needing to use your work up photos, but as you know there was nothing out there for refrence material.

I used a lot of your photos to get an idea on shape, and more in truth on the sculpting. I knew there was no way I could achieve the whole exact look and had a few ideas I wanted to try out.

When I first started out, my idea was to make a suit that was almost a cross over of the civil war and Movie Mark III.

My real chalenge was that I knew I was not up to the skill of doing the helmet. Most people have no idea how hard that is to make up so everything is symetrical. And ! a bad helmet then the whole suit looks bad, rahter than the other way around, good helmet poor suit, most people wont know. They only recall the helmet for the most part.

TMP I am doing an other fitting today ( need people to help me get into this thing) so I will post up some better shots of the back. It was an original design, nothing very fancy but functional.

I am 5-10, suit designed for me, but when the suit is on takes the wearer to 6-3. I am a big guy, 205 pounds -44 inch chest 38 waist, so the suit would likly fit anyone of a good sise unless they were very thin, they then would need a ton of padding.

Unlike your suit, I did not design mine with the intent to make copys, my molds are not designed for recasts. I would have to remake molds of the whole suit to do that. Not something I am looking at in any seriousness. Not for the additional cost outlay it would take to do that at any rate.

Also thanks for your nice words, coming from you, the master, that means a great deal, thank you.:wow: :yay: :yay:

TK I think your costume still rocks, but I still think you and the TMP guy are out to lunch on what you think is fair to charge for these things.

I dont think its fair that you guys have prices up so high that guys like me who would like one and WHO ! are willing to pay !!!:huh: :whatever: And pay good money too, you wont sell work it out to make it happen.

Its not right man, not all all. My thoughts anyway. Still looks good and is goning to rock, but thats all I am saying:sleepy:

Zombiekiller, I made a comment aboutthis on TMPs posting. I am not goingto try to explain to you why things sometimes the way they are. I guess it is not fair, just how it is.

By the way, you sent me a PM and I told you in that message I am not in a position to build copys of my armor, now or likly anytime in the near future. I dont want you to confuse people saying I am off selling copys of this, as I am not.

This was a project made by me for me. I told you what I thought the cost of this would be if I could replicate the suit, nothing more than that.

Anyway, all I am saying on that. I wont get into a debate on why things are the way they are. Sorry.

Glad you still think the suit rocks.

TMP

I forgot you wanted to see a shot of the back. Here is a one before primer.

Will have more shots up this week as I have to do some more test fittings before I proceed farther. So will get a few more shots of the back armor when I have it on.

Picture004.jpg

TK I think your costume still rocks, but I still think you and the TMP guy are out to lunch on what you think is fair to charge for these things.

I dont think its fair that you guys have prices up so high that guys like me who would like one and WHO ! are willing to pay !!!:huh: :whatever: And pay good money too, you wont sell work it out to make it happen.

Its not right man, not all all. My thoughts anyway. Still looks good and is goning to rock, but thats all I am saying:sleepy:

Willing to pay is an interesting perspective what TMP is asking is a fair price he is an over seas dealer!! if you don't know the US dollar is losing value around the world your 1000 is around 480 in euro .... What you are willing to pay dose not cover the materials to cast up the armor let alone the materials needed to to then make copys the armor after the casting is done, provided there are no mistakes made during casting.

I wanted a 98 Viper!!... couldn't afford it ended up with a mustang....
maybe if i go back to the dealership with your logic they will see things my way lol.

TMP

I forgot you wanted to see a shot of the back. Here is a one before primer.

Will have more shots up this week as I have to do some more test fittings before I proceed farther. So will get a few more shots of the back armor when I have it on.

Top work bro!

Here are a few more shots of some of the test fittings. Note none of the armor is yet connected to anything, so the rope around my waist is to hold the abb section in place, same I am holding the thigh armor in place with the outsides of my legs (lol)

Once everything is complete the the internal straps and hinges will all be in place.

Here is a begging work up on the hands, just have to redo a section to add in the round area for the light for each hand. These will then be cast up in silicone rather than these in ruber.

Groin / cod piece is still being redone in fiberglass, as is the shins. Neck ineer shoulders, all open joint areas will all be done in ruber, still being worked on.

Starting to look like something however.

Goldfitting1.jpg

goldfitting3.jpg

goldfitting4.jpg

Hand1.jpg

hand2.jpg

hand3.jpg

Thanks my friend. It is starting to get there. I know it still does not look like much, less so with out the paint. But once complete I think it will still look cool.

I cant compete with TMP as I dont have his skill or likly the tools at my disposal like he has. I am on a shoestring budget sort ofthing. Goal was to stay under 5 G and so far just a notch under after all the remaining items paint ect are factored in.

Would have been cheaper to buy a suit off TMP but not sure if it would have fit my bulky frame (lol) had to at least try this to see if it was possible.

But once the rest of the parts are in place, gauntlets, neck and joint seals, new groin & butt plates, boots then paint. I think it will look not have bad for an amature builder :cwink: Crossing fingers

Nice.! :) I love the handsculpt and how you made the gloves! The glove we use is all rubber.. This looks good! What material do you use for the glove armor? Rubber or is it har material?

I really like this project. Its nice to se a custom design with features of variouse comic style and movie combined. I cant wait to start on the 2nd Ironman project. As i said to you before i am also making a 2nd version with new chest, Back armor, shoulderbells, gauntlet and helmet.
It will look like the Civil War style but with hint of the comic style version. Gravon version.

It whould be awsome to place all them beside eachother ... Call it Starks evolution.:word: :im:

TMP

Wow, any sort of praise from you is like a pat on the back from Stan Winston himself, all I can say is thanks. And in truth had you not posted up your own photos of your suit, I doubt I would have found enough matieral to build mine.

But again thank you.

Yes to the Gauntlets, they are ruber in these pictures, however being redone in silicone, the ruber wont hold up for any length of time, less with having to be painted. After a single convention shaking hands ect, I was worried they would be wrecked, so the silicone will stand up a 1000 times more.

Also the palm of the gauntlet is not right in these pictures, it was just to see how the glove part would work as I could not use one of my body suits as a test model. The palm will have several other pieces, all flexable to an extent but making room for the hand light.

The glove will have 2 thin layers, between them, so the wires for the light can run down the sleve part of the glove and not iritate the hand or wrist to much. The wires will then connect to a battery source in side each forearm with a lot of extra wire to make sure it does not get pulled loose.

Once connect the light in each hand will remain on, I am not going to go with the extra expense of toggle switches or things like that. The only place I may do that is for the eyes if I can get the electronics I am considering to work there. Was thinking being able to have the helmet wink 1 eye off and on by manual might be cool now and again.

TMP I also am going to work on a replacement part for the chest armor to cover over the circle wit ha triangle, so I can do the civil war armor as well. The helmet I have now is that version, but I have a new movie version on its ay soon so will be likly using that after May.

By the way, would love to have pictures beside your suit TMP so we will have to figure out how to make that happen. Are you going to attend any conventions in the US this year ?

And again, thank you.:yay:

Ahh. Civil War.. Cool :) That whould be awsome. yes i love the hands. I thought of doing something similar, but decided to go for a full glove.

As far as seeing the costume at events... Well yes.. You might, but i will not be in it. :) Not for this year unless someone pays me to come and ensure the transport full insurance and covers the overweight. :)

But it is likly for you to se the costume at one or two bigger events.

You guys should go to Comic Con, that is like the best. I go every year never miss it Rocks Huge !

Maybe by then I can convince one of you guys to sell me a costume !

I like what you guys are doing just wish you bot hdid not think they were worth so much to sell, but whatever, not trying to start a war, whatever, chill, peace and all that .

Costume looks cool TK, I like TMPs better but I think thats cause its got paint on it, yours will rock like that to when its painted I bet !:woot:

You guys should go to Comic Con, that is like the best. I go every year never miss it Rocks Huge !

Maybe by then I can convince one of you guys to sell me a costume !

I like what you guys are doing just wish you bot hdid not think they were worth so much to sell, but whatever, not trying to start a war, whatever, chill, peace and all that .
DUDE! lol

CUckoo!
CUckoo!

I hope you suit makers have good home security.
Btw, I'm not an expert on what's required to make a suit like that, but, a thousand bucks is obviously, like, insultingly low. :huh:
$1,000 is nothing. :o
If you don't agree, Zombiekiller, by all means, you should make one of your own and then see what you'd sell it for.

Anyway, I love to see skilled people actually taking the time to make cool things like this, as opposed to stupid kids slapping together some cardboard armor and writing "Iron Man" on the chest with a Magic Marker.
I must say though, the head is weak.
It's too big/thick, so the eyes look like they're too closely set, and the straight eyebrows make him look like a developmentally challenged Iron Man.
What I'm talking about:
imwim.jpg

Love that shiny rubbery undersuit though. I wish I had something like that in my old Glam band.

Good comment on the helmet. The eyes do seem a bit narrow with out the lenses in place, wit hthe lense they are very nice. Note a picture of a completed helmet(not mine) to get an idea how it looks when finished.

However I dont mind the look of the helmet I have a more accurate movie version on the way by the same sculptor of the helmet I have now. This new helmet is larger and the eyes farther apart. Also more room for the electronics.

I dont have his permission to post pictures of his work in progress photos or I would post them up. Once I have his okay I will post it so you can see the differnce. For now take a look at the completed helmet pictures, it looks a lot differnt when all painted up, as will the suit.
:cwink:

Edit. Sorry as I was writting this I was trying to get into my photobucket acct, but it is horrid slow. I will post pics up later tonite. Sorry.

Here are the shots I mentioned of the completed helmet, again not mine.

IronManHelmet6.jpg

2008helmetkit.jpg

ironmancomplete03.jpg

Looking good almost makes me want to sculpt my own iron man helmet But i am far to lazy!

Looking good almost makes me want to sculpt my own iron man helmet But i am far to lazy!

If its just for yourself Gundam, I would just get one off the ones guys who will have them out there soon. Some nice ones being built. I dont know if I would ever attempt anything like it after all this again.

If ( big IF ) I made copys of my suit, I would sculpt a helmet, but that would be my only incentive to do so. Otherwise a nice one as a kit can be ...um arrangned (lol) for like around the $250-300 mark. Most of the guys doing it wont call it selling for obvious reasons, but they will trade you sort of deal, to make it happen. :yay: You know how it works.

If its just for yourself Gundam, I would just get one off the ones guys who will have them out there soon. Some nice ones being built. I dont know if I would ever attempt anything like it after all this again.

If ( big IF ) I made copys of my suit, I would sculpt a helmet, but that would be my only incentive to do so. Otherwise a nice one as a kit can be ...um arrangned (lol) for like around the $250-300 mark. Most of the guys doing it wont call it selling for obvious reasons, but they will trade you sort of deal, to make it happen. :yay: You know how it works.

:cwink: I know the ins and outs.... I wouldn't mind a TMP helmet (Doubt he will offer helmets).. But i got my eye on this bad boy
2957_press08-001.jpg

just for display.. I'm still mad at ironman for he did to spidey.... lol

Spidey had it coming !

:pal:

Gundam, the sideshow one regretably is not wearable, but I think you knew that. A little pricey but it is bang on.

The gent making my other helmet will be it looks like 95% accurate to the movie version and will offer helmets as kits. Says he has the lights figured out for the helmet but again I think that is just for a display version. I have done several things for the eyes to light up, nothing I am completly happy with yet however.

Going to have to spend some more cash out of my budget to pay someone to figure it out for me looks like . Still have to be able to see while wearing it :oldrazz:

Mr Miller your picture is broken. Were you trying to post up a link to a helmet ?

Would be cool to see it if that is the case, give it an other try. :cwink:

The helmet TK is talking about is a very nice helmet, richly detailed and looks good on the photos i have seen. Looking forward to se the photos of it. However the major difference between that helmet and the one thats for the suit is two diferent sizes.

Compared to the photos i seen it seam that our is bigger because we proportioned it the costume.

Gundam :cwink:
As far as the sideshow. In past its shown that movie licenced props that is said to come from original moulds dont come from movie moulds.
Original mould only meen its original, it does not automaticly meens it come form original from movie. It is Original because its licenced and aproved by the company.

Take Original Darth vader helmets, Darth vader rubies supreme costume, stormtrooper helmets, batman belt (Begins) and a variaty of other props.
I whould not take it for granted for that the bust is in movie size. I HOPE IT IS!... But i belive its a 1:1 lifesize but not movie size. Take a look at the video they showed the helmet of. It looks very small to have arround your head. In the spy shots during filming the helmet actually looks very big in compared to the body.

Thanks TMP.

Here is a shot of the helmet that is coming my way shortly. Would that I have the skill like TMP or like the gent who did up this helmet I would be forever happy :woot:

Note the helmet cast in white is the new replica that has just been sculpted and is just now in the process of being cast up in a kit form.

TMP is bang on regarding the size, however it is bigger than the helmet I have right now I am using for my suit, so hoping it will help balance that out more as my suit is quite bulky. Thats the advantages to being able to cast up your own helmet is then you can build your armor around that. I attempted that but not anywhere near to the degreee of TMPs armor, his is a lot more symetrical, so when you look at his helmet and armor it is all in direct proportions, nothing looks to big or to small.

The color photos are of the movie helmet ( front facing) and the sideshow bust ( left profile view) The sculpt is amazing there is very little differences from the movie version. Now I just have to make sure my light source will work for the helmet, crossing fingers.

ironmanfinalsculpt.jpg

TK,
Nice to see your work as well. Your costume is coming along quite well too. This last helmet is the best I've seen. Kudos to your sculptor. The profile of the helmet looks awesome. Breathability and the wearer's vision must be pretty bad though. I imagine it'll be pretty hard to work in the electronics and still be able to see. You guys are the experts though. I'm sure it'll be great..

I don't know if you guys have seen this sculpt of the body armor. They were posted by Facelift but he doesn't know who the sculptor is.

Ironman2_007.jpg

Ironman2_006.jpg

Ironman2_003.jpg

Ironman2_002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija