World Is it Unimaginative to Give all Lanterns the Same Powers?

Spider-Aziz

Dummy Dragon Holo
Reaction score
Red, Green, Yellow, etc..
Have similar power sets. Do you think this is unimaginative? Should they have differing power sets? Should the Green Lantern Corps members have different powers?

Yes i do.
If youre gonna base an entire Franchise about the corps fighting each other there should be variety in powersets.

Imagine how boring it would be if every spiderman filmwas about Spiderman fighting villains with the same exact powers.No you want variety.

I feel like if you're being attacked by Sinestro, you should feel intense fear

if you're being attacked by Atrocitus, you should be consumed by anger

that's enough differentiation for me

They don't have the exact same power sets. For example the Red Lantern powers if I recall correctly are more boiling and acidic, eating through armor and stuff.

Have similar power sets. Do you think this is unimaginative? Should they have differing power sets? Should the Green Lantern Corps members have different powers?

They each have distinguishing powers. Blue Lanterns can enhance a GL's power and they can break the hold of a Red Lantern ring over the wearer, Larfleeze's ring absorbs the essence of whoever he kills and remakes them as a construct, a Star Sapphire can create an emotional tether to find her (or his, theoretically) true love at any place in the universe, and the RL's spit a boiling substance that's like napalm.

Also, Lanterns retain their pre-induction power sets ala Hannu, Sodam Yat, Supergirl, Kilowog, Mongul, etc.

Thinking about the distinctions mentioned....
The most powerful weapon in any universe, making shapes affected by the imagination of the holder....
I feel it is kindly imaginative.

I think that aside from the individual power distinctions mentioned by Lantern Venom, the fact that their own unique personalities affect not only the level of their powers, but also how they appear and are used, makes the whole thing highly imaginative. Imagine trying to be one of the writers. Having to make each character's constructs a reflection who they are. It would drive be insane and I love creating characters.

It's perfectly imaginative.

You have a spectrum.

Red | Orange | Yellow | Green | Blue | Indigo | Violet

In the center you have Green (will) and Yellow (fear).
The farther from the center you get, the less focused and more primal it becomes, with the two extremes of Hate and Love being very hard to harness.

It makes sense that what we've seen from the Sinestro Corps is very similar to the Green Lantern Corps. After all, Sinestro started off as the greatest green lantern. So when we went off and fashioned the yellow ring to harness the yellow light, it stands to reason he would use it the way he's been trained already.

Blue Lanterns for the longest time couldn't even make any constructs. They could basically only power up a green lantern. Because hope is nothing, without willpower.

The Red Lanterns on the far end of the spectrum (at least originally) couldn't even make constructs. The only one who could was Atrocitus. Everyone else was mindless blood-plasma vomiting monsters. Eventually these characters learn to harness their powers in different ways, including constructs to some form or another.

They've got a lot of intricacies, even though from the exterior they seem similar.

No, I don't think it's unimaginative. First because calling this judgement would mean I'd be able to come with something better. I'm not. Second, because they're all lanterns.
I think the mistake is to think the lanterns are the only bad guys in the GL mythos. Look at Evil Star -> not the same powers. Look at King Shark -> not the same kind of powers, look at Black Hand -> not the same kind of powers, Cyborg-Superman, Mongul, the manhunters, the first lantern (he's a lantern!), the Weaponers of Qward, ...
I mean, recently the Lanterns became the main bad guys for everything, but the others vilains should not be forgotten, they display a whole different kind of threat or powers.

Beyond that, I don't think it's unimaginativ, on the contrary, the power ring is able to create constructs, that's the deal. If someone want to have another power set, let's use someone else rather than a Lantern.

It's a bit like saying Jedi are unimaginative because they all use light sabers. Yes, it's how they do.
Personally, I'm fine with having giant colorful constructs all over the sky in a type of space opera adventure.
Bottom line : Larfleeze have a peculiar way to se his ring. The Indigo too. The red lanterns can't make construct except Atrocitus. The Star Sapphire make crystals to trap their ennemies.

I think your thinking may be about the Sinestro corps (or so I suppose). And you'd be right about this one, they are doing stuff similar to the GLC. But again : Since his creation, Sinestro has use a yellow ring to replicate the power of the green one. So it's seems logical to me.

Last edited:
Definitely not. That's like saying it's boring and repetitive that all wars in the world were fought using the same type of weapons (usually just guns and bombs). The lanterns might all use energy as weapons, but it's a different type of energy for each corps, and they all have their individual characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"