Green Lantern Sequel Details

Reel

Civilian
Reaction score
I have recently come into some details regarding Green Lantern's sequel thanks to my well placed source. Trust me this is real, I also had inside info on Green Lantern (2011) and was writing the plot basically on here about 6 months before release if you want proof..

- Sinestro doesn't begin the film as a Yellow Lantern.
- He instead keeps the ring from everybody and the Guardians task Hal Jordan with finding out who stole the ring from Oa.
- Sinestro keeps it on Korugar where Jordan follows a trail of clues (Sinestro was practicing using the ring against innocent people in a bid to control it's power)
- Their first fight ensues with Jordan retreating to Oa after being defeated.
- Sinestro then attacks Oa saying they must replace Willpower with Fear. The Guardians reference the Manhunters and Krona and their use of Fear and say Willpower is the strongest Spectrum. Sinestro attacks the Corps before the Guardians use their powers to teleport him from Oa.
- Sinestro is sent outside the 3600 sectors. He then finds a planet of immortals, a sub species of the Guardians who the Guardians experimented on and banished here billions of years ago when the Guardians became immortal themselves and left Maltus for Oa. They call their planet Qward and Sinestro offers them the chance to get revenge.
- The Qwardians create Yellow Power Rings for Sinestro who sends them out to the universe where they select wearers based on their Fear Inducting powers where they become members of the Sinestro Corps.
- There is a couple hundred Sinestro Corps members who have a massive battle against the Green Lantern Corps on Oa in the climax battle. They are eventually defeated with a few dozen retreating with Sinestro to Qward.
- Carol Ferris doesn't become Star Sapphire in this one, she is being saved for a 3rd film.
- Guy Gardner doesn't become a Green Lantern in this one either.

farting-man.gif

nice, I checked his post history, and he really does have insider info

and this info sounds like what I would want to hear in a sequel

of course it's still early, and a lot of it could change, like we saw with the differences between the first draft of the script in the first movie, and the final product.

I'm hoping the reason WB is going forward with this, is because they know that the fans want a ton of space scenes, and this sounds almost entirely based in space.

I think they realized that after the first trailer of green lantern 1.

I can't wait to see mark strong with actual stuff to do, and the rest of the sinestro corps. I can see a preview for that getting people in the seats who didn't even like the first movie.

This is all contingent on a GL sequel being greenlit. Which it hasn't, has it?

This is all contingent on a GL sequel being greenlit. Which it hasn't, has it?

this...at this point,it's the umtimate crapshoot whether we get one or not....

nice, I checked his post history, and he really does have insider info

Assuming this is all true WB are gonna have to dig themselves out of a major hole they created.

The reception of this movie has been almost a complete failure all around from critics, BO, and GA.

People that saw the first film are gonna be pretty hard to convince this is better and people who didn't will still think its silly unless the effects are improved. Because going by the trailers of the first movie the GA will be like "we have green dude fighting space cloud. Now hes gonna be fighting a yellow dude."

If those brief scenes on Oa cost $200 million to render wouldn't an all out space battle between all the alien lanterns be significantly greater?

I have to say if WB actually green lights a sequel to this movie they'll have some major balls because almost any other major studio to have a movie bomb like this would've jumped ship already. Maybe they'll take all the money they made from Potter and throw it into this and the money they make from the TDKR next summer (which is guaranteed bank at this point)

Last edited:
At the very least WB will have more than made back a good chunk of change for a few of their movies by the time GL2 were to start production. With Harry Potter alone they stand to make nearly a billion dollars worldwide with the budget all being pretty much around 125 million for each film.

Then they'll most likely turn a pretty good profit from TDKR, and probably Man of Steel because I can't imagine that movie turning out like Superman Returns just from Nolan's involvement grandfathering it.

WB could very well reassess the situation with Green Lantern, say "okay, there were some goof ups. We know this can be a huge hit, so let's do what we have to do." Sure, they've had a bad first showing and that could tamp down on the Box Office showing for the sequel. It's really all in how they market it.

With GL they marketed the space opera portions of the film and the spectacle of it. For the next they'd have to really focus on characters, put some emotion between Hal and Sinestro especially. And that's going to mean not following the OP's template to a T. They are going to have to open the movie with Hal and Sinestro as friends and colleagues at the least. And I still don't think rushing into the Sinestro Corps would be wise... but at this point it may be the way to go because that's kind of the Holy Grail of Green Lantern. If they'd hit it out the park with the first film they may have had the leisure to wait for film 3 for the Sinestro Corps but that may not be the case now. I'd rather Sinestro be shown as the burgeoning fascist dictator before his Corps is thrown into the mix.

Overthrowing Sinestro or Korugar could be plenty if they approached the second film like a space cop film with investigations and intergalactic crooks of some sort. Save the Qward thing as set up for film 3. Focus more on the Emerald Dawn II thing for film 2. Otherwise we'll end up with another entry that may not have enough room for story points to breathe.

This is a supposed sequel plan if the box office reality doesn't hit them later on.

Well I think this still could happen if GL won't really crash and burn this weekend, beating Bad Teacher and all.

At the very least WB will have more than made back a good chunk of change for a few of their movies by the time GL2 were to start production. With Harry Potter alone they stand to make nearly a billion dollars worldwide with the budget all being pretty much around 125 million for each film.

Then they'll most likely turn a pretty good profit from TDKR, and probably Man of Steel because I can't imagine that movie turning out like Superman Returns just from Nolan's involvement grandfathering it.

WB could very well reassess the situation with Green Lantern, say "okay, there were some goof ups. We know this can be a huge hit, so let's do what we have to do." Sure, they've had a bad first showing and that could tamp down on the Box Office showing for the sequel. It's really all in how they market it.

With GL they marketed the space opera portions of the film and the spectacle of it. For the next they'd have to really focus on characters, put some emotion between Hal and Sinestro especially. And that's going to mean not following the OP's template to a T. They are going to have to open the movie with Hal and Sinestro as friends and colleagues at the least. And I still don't think rushing into the Sinestro Corps would be wise... but at this point it may be the way to go because that's kind of the Holy Grail of Green Lantern. If they'd hit it out the park with the first film they may have had the leisure to wait for film 3 for the Sinestro Corps but that may not be the case now. I'd rather Sinestro be shown as the burgeoning fascist dictator before his Corps is thrown into the mix.

Overthrowing Sinestro or Korugar could be plenty if they approached the second film like a space cop film with investigations and intergalactic crooks of some sort. Save the Qward thing as set up for film 3. Focus more on the Emerald Dawn II thing for film 2. Otherwise we'll end up with another entry that may not have enough room for story points to breathe.

I think WB have to utilize Mark Strong "mastery of villainy acting" quickly in 2nd film. WB should make any DC movie except Batman minding that the sequel is not a certainty. I mean if they want to make a big bang, then make a big bang on the sequel not on the sequel's sequel. Film 3 is not a sure fire thing. Make the best impression on Film 2 (if there's one) as it's not a bridge to another film and it should be self-contained.

This is a supposed sequel plan if the box office reality doesn't hit them later on.

Well I think this still could happen if GL won't really crash and burn this weekend, beating Bad Teacher and all.
Little late for that, Bad Teacher made double of what GL made.

1. Cars 2 3D (Pixar/Disney) NEW [4,115 Theaters]
Friday $28M, Estimated Weekend $75M

2. Bad Teacher (Sony) NEW [3,049 Theaters]
Friday $12M, Estimated Weekend $31M

3. Green Lantern 3D (Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,816 Theaters]
Friday $6M (-72%), Estimated Weekend $19.4M (-63%)

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/fir...bad-teacher-look-to-be-overperforming-friday/

Little late for that, Bad Teacher made double of what GL made.

1. Cars 2 3D (Pixar/Disney) NEW [4,115 Theaters]
Friday $28M, Estimated Weekend $75M

2. Bad Teacher (Sony) NEW [3,049 Theaters]
Friday $12M, Estimated Weekend $31M

3. Green Lantern 3D (Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,816 Theaters]
Friday $6M (-72%), Estimated Weekend $19.4M (-63%)

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/fir...bad-teacher-look-to-be-overperforming-friday/

Gulp... reboot?

IMO it really depends on Harry Potter this year and TDKR & MOS next year. If these 3 sells big, the euphoria will certainly sail another ship called GL even if it the first one crash & burn. A smaller ship with a tighter focus for instant mainstream gratification. Sinestro, Atrocitus, gah they will aim for the best GL ever in the sequel.

Ryan Reynolds, start sending encouragement SMS to Bale and Cavill. In the meantime, I think WB is going to launch The Flash.

Golden Age Green Lantern

I've already started thinking as to who it will feature, Stewart or Rayner.

If this is a purely cinematic decision, then Idris Elba as John Stewart would be a good one. But the comic people will start complaining.

sinestro's motivation is still non-sensical. in the first film, hal defeats the embodiment of fear itself proving willpower is the stronger force. why would the green lantern corp's most devoted ring bearer even consider tampering with the weaker force of fear.

I personally hope for a Vaughn-like reboot. Set the movie thousands of years before the first film and tell the story of the Corps' formation. Keep the stylistic touches that worked, ditch what didn't. The first story from Emerald Knights would make a good template, perhaps with the Manhunters thrown in.

I have no real desire to jump to any of the other Earth Green Lanterns. I always found it ridiculous that four straight earthlings were chosen in a sector that contains untold species, and I generally dislike Guy and Kyle.

Whilst you might have been right on the Green Lantern plot beats before, it could've been a lucky shot, since you also posted THIS.

Reel said:
Joseph Gordon-Levitt has signed on to play play Roman Sionis in the film I should know I am an Assistant Producer on the film and also worked on The Dark Knight. Robin Williams won't be in the film playing Hugo Strange either. Bane will be a physical and a psychological threat to Batman. Talia al Ghul isn't in the film because Selina Kyle is Batman's love interest and the second female role if that of Sarah Essen who's arc will follow closely her comic counterparts.

I call ********.

Where the heck did that come from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"