Is there a list of characters Marvel has the rights to?

Who do you guys think has Cloak and Dagger? Sony or Marvel?

Who do you guys think has Cloak and Dagger? Sony or Marvel?

Cloak and Dagger was supposed to be in development for TV around the same time they were talking about an Alias Jessica Jones and a Mockingbird TV show. So unless something happened within the last coupla years, C&D should still be with Marvel.

Another interesting one is Doctor Doom. While i am pretty sure Fox have the rights to him, he is also a villain of Iron Man and also the Marvel Universe.

Not even close. Dr Doom has showed up plenty of places elsewhere, sure, but there is no ambiguity, anymore than there is with Magneto.

Inhumans rights situation confuses me since the Inhumans debuted in the Fantastic Four and are very closely affiliated with them,but somehow there at Marvel.Also who has The Watcher?I think he may be split.

Inhumans rights situation confuses me since the Inhumans debuted in the Fantastic Four and are very closely affiliated with them,but somehow there at Marvel.Also who has The Watcher?I think he may be split.

I remember seeing an old list Marvel had from years ago. It listed various properties and how Marvel "valued" them at the time. Inhumans was actually on that list. Marvel probably valued them enough to keep their movie rights separate from the FF when they started making movie deals.

Its kind of strange that Namor and the Inhumans got separate film rights while Silver Surfer is bundled with Fantastic Four, of the three SS has the most potential for his own films.

Its kind of strange that Namor and the Inhumans got separate film rights while Silver Surfer is bundled with Fantastic Four, of the three SS has the most potential for his own films.

At one point Silver Surfer did have his rights separate from the FF. Things change. Human Torch had his film rights sold separate from the FF at one time. Who knows, though. Maybe the Silver Surfer rights are still technically a separate option that's attached to the overall FF package. Marvel Studios did allegedly try to make a deal to reacquire Silver Surfer, after all.

Captain Britain is an interesting one

Rights are owned by Disney but maybe used in Fox for Excalibur and interestingly Sony if certain conditions are met.

However most Cap Britain characters are Disney owned for simple purpose to feature the following teams
Invaders
Defenders
Avengers and Secret Avengers
Heroes for Hire
Nextwave

Inhumans haven't been closely associated with FF for quite a while. They've been very independent cosmic characters for a while now, at least since the Kree-Shi'ar War back in 92, but even before that Crystal was an Avenger, and they teamed up with everybody equally.

I'd like to see the Skrulls. Don't care if it's Fox or Marvel Studios

Pretty sure Marvel own the Skrull race but Fox have the Super Skrull

Pretty sure Marvel own the Skrull race but Fox have the Super Skrull

Actually, Skrulls are shared along with their queen. Fox owns Super Skrull but Disney owns Hulkling.

Fox owns

X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, Wolverine, Deadpool, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer and all related characters.

Sony Owns

Spider-Man, Venom and all related characters.

Disney owns everything else.

With regards to television, Disney owns the animated rights to everything. They used to own the animated rights to everything but Spider-Man but recently bought those back. For instance, Wolverine and the X-Men and Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes were both produced by Marvel Animation. I don't know who can do a live action Fantastic Four series but considering the scope, I doubt that anyone would ever want to. I don't know who can produce a Spider-Man live-action series but I'm almost positive it's Sony, otherwise Marvel would have announced Spider-Man to be a Netflix series since he's associated with the street-level heroes.

An X-men live-action TV series is possible but according to a court ruling, it MUST be a co-production between Fox and Disney. They only way I can see this happening is if Disney's Marvel TV shows turn out to be hits (Agents of SHIELD was), they may be willing to assist Fox with a New Mutants or X-Factor show on Fox or FX since those are the only networks on which they can legally air. Fox would need to pay Disney up front to produce it while Fox would get the ad revenue. In an age where so much TV is produced in-house, the demand has to be there for the producers at Fox to greenlight this or else they're just throwing money at Disney to operate at a loss or in the case of X-Factor, Disney needs to be willing to shell out a crazy amount of money to get Channing Tatum and Jennifer Lawrence to appear for a full TV season.

Now if fans really, really want to see the X-Men on TV and there's enough demand for Fox to pay Marvel enough to produce/cast the show and Fox gets enough people tuning in each week to turn a profit, then it is possible. If fans want it to happen, then they need to watch both Daredevil and X-Men Apocalypse. Right now there isn't an incentive for either studio since the last animated series bombed.

Big Hero 6 was only able to be made because of a loophole. It's consider an X-Men team but Marvel owns the animated rights but since its a feature film, Silver Samurai and Sunfire aren't available and Fox would never bother with a live-action adaptation.

Also, with the cosmic rights, Disney exclusively owns the Kree and Sakaarans while Sony exclusively owns the symbiotes. Marvel and Fox share the rights to Skrulls but Hulkling is off limits to Fox and Disney can't use Super Skrull. Fox exclusively owns the Badoon since they're tied to the Silver Surfer rights.

I have no idea if Disney or Fox owns the Brood or Shi'Ar. I'm not sure if Guardians of the Galaxy being in active development has managed to give Disney some Shi'Ar rights or if Disney actively developing Ms. Marvel would give them more rights to the Shi'Ar. The Brood I think are at Disney because of Ms. Marvel but they may be at Fox or shared.

The weird part is where the rights get blurry. For instance, where Quicksilver and Viper are shared. This means that Captain America can still fight Viper and in the MCU, she'll be closer to the source material since Disney owns the rights to HYDRA along with the Serpent Society. This will naturally lead to weird fan confusion over whether Quicksilver's sister is Polaris or Scarlet Witch.

I have no idea where the rights to Alpha Flight or Captain Britain lie. I also doubt we'll know in the near future since these are both C-tier properties and when Fox still has yet to start production on X-Force and Marvel has yet to give fans Ms. Marvel and Black Panther, I doubt that Captain Britain or Alpha Flight will see the light of day within the next decade.

Last edited:
It was also mentioned a while back by Feige that Namor is shared with Universal. He basically said it's complicated but he is confident they could use him if they wanted to

Do Marvel hold the rights to Spider-Woman?(Jessica Drew version)

What about a character like Abe Jenkins who started out as a Fantastic Four/Spider-Man villain in the Beetle, but later became Mach-1 (2, etc.) in Thunderbolts?

Dasher10 said:
Actually, Skrulls are shared along with their queen. Fox owns Super Skrull but Disney owns Hulkling.

How about Xavin? Or Molly Hayes for that matter. She was created for and is most associated with The Runaways, but she is also a mutant and in the future Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

I don't believe for a second Marvel would cooperate with Fox for any kind of coproduction. Not going to happen.

What's pretty interesting is that Marvel were looking to start up a Cable solo movie a few years back. Evidently it was either shelved or is still in very early development, or is on the back burner - but either way, they wouldn't pursue the character if they didn't own them, correct? The rights distribution seems odd.

If I had to guess, I reckon Marvel has some sort of joint-ownership of a fair few Fox-owned characters, just not the main ones - Wolverine, Cyclops, et al. Would be interesting to know if Cable is completely under MS or shared

What's pretty interesting is that Marvel were looking to start up a Cable solo movie a few years back. Evidently it was either shelved or is still in very early development, or is on the back burner - but either way, they wouldn't pursue the character if they didn't own them, correct? The rights distribution seems odd.

If I had to guess, I reckon Marvel has some sort of joint-ownership of a fair few Fox-owned characters, just not the main ones - Wolverine, Cyclops, et al. Would be interesting to know if Cable is completely under MS or shared

More than likely, Marvel was trying to push Fox to do something with Cable and Dazzler. They're both X-Men characters and have always been associated with both properties.

I don't believe for a second Marvel would cooperate with Fox for any kind of coproduction. Not going to happen.

Marvel was considering putting a Punisher TV show on Fox.

What about a character like Abe Jenkins who started out as a Fantastic Four/Spider-Man villain in the Beetle, but later became Mach-1 (2, etc.) in Thunderbolts?

How about Xavin? Or Molly Hayes for that matter. She was created for and is most associated with The Runaways, but she is also a mutant and in the future Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Molly Hayes is a member of the Runaways first and foremost. She's fully under Marvel Studios control. Mach may be a member of the Thunderbolts but he's still a Spider-Man character. Unless Juggernaut (who was also a Thunderbolt) is able to appear in Marvel Studios movies, I doubt that Mach can.

It was also mentioned a while back by Feige that Namor is shared with Universal. He basically said it's complicated but he is confident they could use him if they wanted to

Considering Gazillion stated that the Universal deal means that Namor is unable to be put into Marvel Heroes, I'm not sure if he can be used. It sucks but Universal will probably sell the rights back for a hefty paycheck since Namor is incredibly difficult to use as his own character because he's tied into the Avengers so deeply as both hero and villain that I can't imagine Universal trying to start up a franchise around the character.

Last edited:
More than likely, Marvel was trying to push Fox to do something with Cable and Dazzler. They're both X-Men characters and have always been associated with both properties.

Marvel would love it if Fox stopped making movies right now and just handed back the rights - they wouldn't hire writers for movies to then hand over to Fox.

Marvel was considering putting a Punisher TV show on Fox.

It was more than just considering - that project was canned a fair way into development.

I'm pretty sure Jess is with MS. She is most associated with Avengers and SHIELD. She really only shares the moniker with Pete.

I also wonder what the deal is with all the new mutants at both schools in the 616 right now. Do they automatically go to FOX because they are mutants or did the deal only include mutants at the time of the deal? This would give us more insight as to the deal with the mutants in general

I'm pretty sure Jess is with MS. She is most associated with Avengers and SHIELD. She really only shares the moniker with Pete.

I also wonder what the deal is with all the new mutants at both schools in the 616 right now. Do they automatically go to FOX because they are mutants or did the deal only include mutants at the time of the deal? This would give us more insight as to the deal with the mutants in general

Jessica is MCU, but can she be Spider-Woman costume & all in MCU?

Jessica Jones and everything about her is with Marvel/Disney. The only question is, can they release a "Spider-Woman" movie in good faith that would not undermine the Spider-Man franchise. If there is an argument that Spider-Woman would be associated by the public with Spider-Man then Sony has a case against Marvel should they release or promote such a thing, in the same way that DC and Marvel went back and forth about "Captain Marvel" or even the unrelated "Wonder Man" of Marvel comics.

Fox has the rights to the entire X-Men Universe, including non mutants like Phoenix Force and Juggernaut and mutants created after the deal (90s) like Darwin (First Class) Angel Salvadore (First Class), Azazel (First Class), Quill (X-Men 3), Glob Herman (X-Men 3), Ink (Days of Future Past), and non mutants created after the deal ie Kavita Rao, (X-Men 3) and The Howlett family (X-Men: Origins Wolverine). Anything that is primarily part of the X-Men Universe they have, period. Marvel can't just make a new team of mutants in the comics and make a movie about them, that'd be shady as heck.

Jessica Jones and everything about her is with Marvel/Disney. The only question is, can they release a "Spider-Woman" movie in good faith that would not undermine the Spider-Man franchise. If there is an argument that Spider-Woman would be associated by the public with Spider-Man then Sony has a case against Marvel should they release or promote such a thing, in the same way that DC and Marvel went back and forth about "Captain Marvel" or even the unrelated "Wonder Man" of Marvel comics.

Fox has the rights to the entire X-Men Universe, including non mutants like Phoenix Force and Juggernaut and mutants created after the deal (90s) like Darwin (First Class) Angel Salvadore (First Class), Azazel (First Class), Quill (X-Men 3), Glob Herman (X-Men 3), Ink (Days of Future Past), and non mutants created after the deal ie Kavita Rao, (X-Men 3) and The Howlett family (X-Men: Origins Wolverine). Anything that is primarily part of the X-Men Universe they have, period. Marvel can't just make a new team of mutants in the comics and make a movie about them, that'd be shady as heck.

Interesting, yeah, maybe a solo movie wouldnt be the way to go with her but personally i would like to see Spider-Woman on the Agents of Shield show. So far i have only seen 2 episodes of it but adding her would really get me to tune in to that show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"