Is This Age of the "Plus Size" Model?

NickNitro

Extra Terrestrial
Reaction score
I respect H&M for this.

As a man who likes a little more meat on his women this is soo awesome. Not only does this promote a healthier life style than anorexia/bulimia some of these models suffer from today, but no longer will every day girls have to compete with unrealistic female sizes and just feel beautiful the way they are.

I for one hope its true, that this is a new age for women.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...n-and-the-skinny-girl-backlash-175911707.html

Well that's a good looking woman.

There are good and bad looking plus-size women.

There are good and bad looking skinny women.

I like a variety.

Marilyn would be considered "Plus Size" to today's unrealistic standards. Let that sink in.

6187389206_ac2beb25d3_o.jpg

Also there's a degree to which this can be considered a good thing. There are health disorders we don't want to perpetuate by encouraging weight gain.

That is all.

Also there's a degree to which this can be considered a good thing. There are health disorders we don't want to perpetuate by encouraging weight gain.

That is all.

Eating correctly leaves you at a "normal" body type. Whether you are inherently skinny or thicker. Over eating to become "thicker" is obviously not healthy but women for the past 50 years haven't been trying to get heavier.

This will be a good way to let women feel accepted in the public's eyes when they may not have felt that way before. Seeing stick figure after stick figure in every magazine they pick up.

I can't believe the model in that article is considered to be plus-size. She looks like she's of an average weight to me.

I can't believe the model in that article is considered to be plus-size. She looks like she's of an average weight to me.

Exactly. And thats my whole point. The views in media as "average" is a size 0. Its ridiculous. More companies need to take after H&M to celebrate women who are natural.

I respect H&M for this.

As a man who likes a little more meat on his women this is soo awesome. Not only does this promote a healthier life style than anorexia/bulimia some of these models suffer from today, but no longer will every day girls have to compete with unrealistic female sizes and just feel beautiful the way they are.

I for one hope its true, that this is a new age for women.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...n-and-the-skinny-girl-backlash-175911707.html

I'm going to take a bit of a different approach here, do you really this woman is plus size, plus size implies a bit overweight to me which these girls aren't. It really just says the same rules are in place, if you average weight, then you're plus size? Doesn't sound like a new golden age to me, seems like keeping the status quo.

I'm going to take a bit of a different approach here, do you really this woman is plus size, plus size implies a bit overweight to me which these girls aren't. It really just says the same rules are in place, if you average weight, then you're plus size? Doesn't sound like a new golden age to me, seems like keeping the status quo.

Let me say this though. Magazine companies/media have always had an unnatural view of what "normal" is for women. They find girls that are 1 in a million body types and paste their photoshopped images all over.

It leads women to have an unrealistic admiration to strive towards. How many "before and after" images have you seen of stars where artists will tuck a stomach/enlarge breasts/airbrush complexion/remove cellulite/crows feet/spider veins/etc.

I feel like this is a step into an age where we celebrate true normality, not a warped image of it.

Last edited:
Considering that when I clicked on this thread, the adjacent topic was, "Sports blogger receives ire for referring to cheerleader as "chunky"" then...no. :funny:

High fashion will continue to prefer skinny coat hangers. Until high fashion changes, then we can start talking. :oldrazz: But I don't think the emphasis on being skinny really begins and ends with high fashion. I've had women who aren't into fashion at all, comment positively on my being so thin and wish they could be as skinny as me. (Hint: it's genetic and most women would get very sick getting down to my size.) It's definitely become a general cultural thing, and not just in the US. Most said women have been Asian....

And yeah, she looks of average weight to me. She's a bit thicker around the middle and generally has a bit more meat on her bones, but it's clear that's simply how she was built and it's not necessarily "unhealthy" for her.

:pal: well said Anita

Remember too, Asian women used to break their feet to make them smaller. These ridiculous media trends are killing parts of society.

I really hope to see this trend of natural women flourish. I honestly have to thank people like Kristen Stewart/Kat Dennings (only one that comes to mind immediately) who openly enjoy to eat regular food in Hollywood, and are praised for it, not scoffed at or looked down upon. They have very strong personalities and love their curves and don't try to be something they're not.

I think actresses like those two hare helping this image become more mainstream.

I think the average dress size is 14 and the model is the same size.

However, the majority of people doing the shopping I think I read are under size 14?

That model would get it. All of it.

I doubt it. At least, not in a country like America that is obsessed with and contstantly panders to "youth", along with a fashion industry that is notorious for using young women who are extremely tall and thin as models. This body type being far rarer than those that are "average" or overweight (increasingly so in a country with skyrocketing obesity like America) is going to be seen as more "valuable" and therefore more sought after.

You really don't like America, do you?

H&M Uses Plus-Size Model To Showcase Swimwear Collection. Is This the End of the Skinny Girl?

I think you mean the anorexic one. The model looks great and, unlike a lot of models, healthy.

It says a lot about America's ****ed up relationship with dietary health and obesity that a weight and BMI well within the margins of what is considered by doctors to be healthy is called "plus sized."

I doubt it. At least, not in a country like America that is obsessed with and contstantly panders to "youth", along with a fashion industry that is notorious for using young women who are extremely tall and thin as models. This body type being far rarer than those that are "average" or overweight (increasingly so in a country with skyrocketing obesity like America) is going to be seen as more "valuable" and therefore more sought after.
America is lazy and lax compared to East Asia, which is much worse. At least here, you can get hired as a flight attendant if you're male and/or over 30. You fly an Asian airline, the only attendants are under 25 and extremely pretty girls. They are fired if they gain weight or get too old. In South Korea, everyone gets plastic surgery on their face. It's a fact of life over there.

I have a Taiwanese friend whose mom thinks 115 lbs is "too fat" for a woman. Which is hilarious because I'm actually pretty close to that weight and my bones stick out everywhere. :o I teeter being underweight, and I'm a size L in Taiwan. I'm a fatass over there.

It's just that Asia is so conservative, that high fashion doesn't get much of a spotlight there because it's too ostentatious and sexual. But in everyday life, body image expectations for women are much, much worse.

Jennie Runk, the H&M model, is smoking hot!

She's average/normal. And great pic with Marilyn Monroe.

I remember some famous model talking in a interview about how these super skinny model girls were on laxatives and the backstage toilets of a fashion show were covered in poop. The poop was everywhere. It was really messed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"