James Gunn to reboot Starsky and Hutch

Well I hope it is not like that 2004 film which turned it into a parody. I think they should take a page out of the Lethal Weapon TV series, which has been well received. It's still fun but not a parody of the film.

The original 70s TV series had humour, but the first season was much more gritty and violent. Then it was toned down for the 2nd season, but relatively less compared to the 3rd and 4th seasons (the 4th being the lightest). The 2004 movie was closest in tone to the 4th season, which I think was probably the worst.

The first season, with its Lalo Schiffrin soundtrack, and darker storylines, was closer to the Dirty Harry movies. It even lifted a plot directly from Dirty Harry, with Hutch running from phone booth to phone booth, having to reach the next one within a certain time period otherwise a hostage would be killed. And of course, David Soul was in Magnum Force. One of the episodes had Hutch shot up full of heroin, where he then turned into an addict and had to go through cold turkey. That sort of thing would never have featured in the later seasons (and that episode was even banned on the BBC when first shown in the UK).

So I think the tone that Gunn should aim for is somewhere between the first and second seasons, but definitely not the third or fourth.

Not sure who they would cast, but I would hope the characterisations are better than the 2004 movie, which kind of reversed their personalities with Starsky now being the more uptight one and Hutch being more laid back.

Not sure who they could cast, but they better not make one of them black, otherwise that just then negates the reason for having Huggy Bear and Captain Dobey also be black.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"