Jason Reitman to Direct Film About Opening Night of SNL

To be followed by the Marvel/Disney crossover:

8dsjzo.jpg

I like the idea but the first episode didn't have the standard intro that would later become a staple of the show, although they could change that for the movie to embellish a bit like Hollywood often does. For the first episode all of their names were on one title card as the "Not Ready for Prime Time Players". An intro that actually showed the cast members didn't actually happen until the third season. I started watching every SNL episode from the beginning a few months back on Peacock and I was surprised to see just how different the show was in the beginning. While there were plenty of funny and memorable bits in the first two seasons, it didn't really start to resemble what it would become until season 3.

Speaking of the history of SNL, you know what would also make for an interesting movie is the behind the scenes of the sixth season, which was the first one without Lorne Michaels and was such a ****show that if it wasn't for Eddie Murphy and to a lesser extent Joe Piscopo the entire show might have been canned.
That's true, I forgot they didn't have cards for each of them yet. Also agreed, that whole weird period in the early 80s when Eddie Murphy essentially became the saving grace of the show would be great to cover.

To be followed by the Marvel/Disney crossover:

8dsjzo.jpg
1. This comic is a testament to just how huge SNL was during its first couple of years.

2. Kidding aside, Spidey fighting a villain at 30 Rock that interrupts a taping of SNL is something I'd find way more interesting in a Spider-Man movie than trying to tie in the whole Sony-verse. :o

Oh ****, Lamorne as Garrett Morris is good.

Can’t quite picture Dylan O’Brien as Aykroyd, though.

I was guessing Jerrod Carmichael for Garrett but Lamorne is perfect.

It's also hilarious that O'Brien as Aykroyd is the opposite of casting Labelle as Lorne considering Aykroyd was only 23 in 1975 (!) and O'Brien is 32.

I’m really liking the cast, but I really wonder what made Reitman choose O’Brien.

Lamone as Morris is great casting, though.

Yeah, I almost feel like O’Brien and LaBelle could switch and it would make more sense than what I’m seeing right now.

Yeah, I almost feel like O’Brien and LaBelle could switch and it would make more sense than what I’m seeing right now.
From a resemblance perspective, apart from being a bit too young I can totally see LaBelle passing as a young Lorne. O'Brien also has similar features to Aykroyd. I guess him being older is kind of irrelevant since everyone back then looked a little older than they actually were anyway on account of the steady diet of booze, cigarettes and booger sugar. :o

Oh ****, Lamorne as Garrett Morris is good.

Can’t quite picture Dylan O’Brien as Aykroyd, though.

Cory Michael Smith is an interesting pick for Chevy Chase. But that's a hell of a cast right there! I'm getting more and more excited for this. Morris, who was great on this recent season of Fargo, playing Garrett Morris? It's like poetry that they have the same last name.

You can only go up from that A.I. abomination. I kind of hope that instead of an actor, they get a comedian who has Carlin's likeness? Getting an actor might be easier, but I feel a comedian would have a better time nailing the delivery and mannerisms as Carlin could.

9At.gif

Now the most crucial piece of casting left. Who’s going to be George Carlin!?
You can only go up from that A.I. abomination. I kind of hope that instead of an actor, they get a comedian who has Carlin's likeness? Getting an actor might be easier, but I feel a comedian would have a better time nailing the delivery and mannerisms as Carlin could.

9At.gif
I'm not sure how big of a part Carlin will have since he didn't actually participate in any sketches during that first show, he only did a couple of standup sets throughout the course of it. If they cast another comedian to play him, maybe Nate Bargatze could pull it off?

I'm also curious if they include Jim Henson and crew since there were Muppet segments throughout the first season of SNL, including that first show.

There have also been rumors that "The Americans" and "Perry Mason" star Matthew Rhys is going to play George Carlin, who hosted the debut episode of "SNL," but we're still awaiting confirmation as of publication.

I haven't seen Matthew Rhys in much but I can see him as Carlin. If he could pull off the voice that would be a huge plus. I'm really curious who they get for Andy Kaufman.

Call me crazy, but I think Simon Pegg could pull off George Carlin.

Pegg’s a little old to be Carlin in 1975, but then so is Rhys.

I'm not sure how big of a part Carlin will have since he didn't actually participate in any sketches during that first show, he only did a couple of standup sets throughout the course of it. If they cast another comedian to play him, maybe Nate Bargatze could pull it off?

I'm also curious if they include Jim Henson and crew since there were Muppet segments throughout the first season of SNL, including that first show.

Okay, I was curious what Billy Crystal had to do with SNL's opening night, but a bit of research and I see that his planned sketch for the first episode was cut.

Heh, Cousin Greg as Jim Henson works because he has kind of a Kermit the Frog voice anyway.

Okay, I was curious what Billy Crystal had to do with SNL's opening night, but a bit of research and I see that his planned sketch for the first episode was cut.
*SNL cast member passes by Crystal, who is on the phone*

“They cut me! Can you believe it?? This was supposed to be my big break, and they cut me! My career is over! … Robin, hold on— ROBIN WILLIAMS, I’M TELLING YOU, MY CAREER IS OVER!

If this film is littered with just ironic callouts… I’m all for it.

“Henson, I’m sorry but this weird muppet thing will just never work for prime-time.”

“No one will remember the name Saturday Night Live past this night.”

tumblr_phovy3BG1t1qgpaguo1_540.gif

Part of me thinks it would be funny if there was a post-credits scene of either Jim Carrey or Eddie Murphy's SNL auditions, but they didn't audition for the show until late 70s, early 80s. Then you get some exec saying something akin to 'Who's gonna hire that guy?'

It can be like the JFK name drop in Oppenheimer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"