Superman Returns Jimmy in Superman Returns

hypeSUPERMAN

Civilian
Reaction score
I just want to say, a thread of mine has been removed because I said Jimmy's character was potrayed as being too gay in Superman Returns.

I didn't mean gay in an offensive way. I think the only people that would find 'gay' offensive are those who think its wrong to be gay. I merely stated that Jimmy's character isn't meant to be gay. Jimmy in Superman The Movie was very plain, so Singer got it wrong if he was trying to make the characters similar to Superman The Movie.

I thought Jimmy in Superman Returns was too hyperactive and 'eager' and did appear to be gay (homosexuel, and there is nothing wrong with that, but its not Jimmy).

He did have a strange liking of Clark...but I didn't mind...it didn't really retract from my decision of liking the film

hypeSUPERMAN said:
I thought Jimmy in Superman Returns was too hyperactive and 'eager' and did appear to be gay (homosexual, and there is nothing wrong with that, but its not Jimmy).
Second that!

We only have 1 episode of the new Smallville season 6 and just a few shots of their interpretation but I can already say that that's the Jimmy I like.

BatFitz said:
He did have a strange liking of Clark...but I didn't mind...it didn't really retract from my decision of liking the film

Same here, in fact Superman Returns is the best film I've ever seen (the first time I've ever given a film 10/10), and my criticism of Jimmy is more a preference of wanting him to be like the Jimmy from Superman The Movie. It wasn't a bad performance, just the character wasn't to my liking.

Come on guys he's Supes pal!

Is that what you saw? All I got was that he was purely comic relief. I hate the idea of jimmy and supes being pals. Why would he talk to his guy? Clark and Jimmy are friends because Clark acts like what Jimmy really is. That's how I saw their relationship.

Sam Huntington as Jimmy was absolutely brilliant, loved him!

I liked him and I thought Huntinton did a great performance. How did he act gay? :huh:

I loved the way they portrayed Jimmy in SR. I thought his excitement over Clark returning was endearing.

Sam huntington is the only Jimmy that made the character someone you would wanna see around in the future.

If the majority likes him then thats good, wise casting again from Singer, as I was a supporter of Bosworth and Routh from the start. Although I guess it was more the SR character of Jimmy than the actor that I had a problem with.

I read a long while back that before Sam Huntingtons casting Singer originally wanted Shawn Ashmore (Ice Man) to play Jimmy & now Shawns brother Aaron is playing Jimmy on Smallville :wow:

Yeah, I know...its very strange...I think at this point there could be a a certain long degree of Separation between multiple people from the Superman films and TV shows...that'd be interesting to see....

in SR, jimmy looks up to Clark. probably like a big brother. from what i could tell, it doesn't seem that jimmy has many friends at the planet. seems like a lonely guy. he drinks too much (further discussed in the novel). clark, his one friend at the planet is back, so he's naturally excited to see him. to call jimmy's portrayal gay is just plain stupid. there was nothing gay about it. he does not harbor any kind of attraction to clark.

I didn't find him "gay" in any way, shape or form. He was charming, I liked his performance. I actually cared about Jimmy. There's nothing wrong with being happy over a same sex friend coming back from hiatus.

Nah, there's nothing wrong with Jimmy being excited or effeminate if thats the character Singer was looking for. Its just that before I saw SR I was looking forward to Jimmy's character because Jimmy in Superman The Movie was a good character. Just took me by surprise to see him so different. But, so much homage was paid to the Reeve movies it was probably a good idea to include some striking differences too.

TrailerCues said:
I read a long while back that before Sam Huntingtons casting Singer originally wanted Shawn Ashmore (Ice Man) to play Jimmy & now Shawns brother Aaron is playing Jimmy on Smallville :wow:
Then it makes more sense to me!:).... I saw the smallville episode last night where Jimmy is introduced for the first time, and my friends and me thought he looked very much like Shawn and discussed if it was him or not... Especially since Shawn has been used in Smallville's earlier episode's before... So thanks for clearing that up.

Actually I think Shawn Ashmore would've been a great choice for Jimmy also... But he couldn't possibly have been better then Sam huntington.

it appears to me that theyve updated all the characters....

except jimmy
everybody has been modernized
except poor ole jimbo
thats why i believe he comes off as homosexual or maybe even mentally ******ed
i would have preferred the photographer aspiring to be a reporter angle

He did bake Clark a cake and then wanted to go get him drunk :wow:

:woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads