• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jurassic Park Apparently Possible

I like dumb animals :csad:

Like my dog!

Telomeres are very interesting, being made from the enzyme Telomerase, and they are used up in our body to allow proper DNA replication in our body to then code for products but once the Telomeres are used up in our body...we age and die:csad: So, some propose that if we can make telomeres and give them to people, then we may be able to extend our life for years and years:wow:

Yeah, I think the first application will be in cloning actually, to prolong a DNA's vitality if it is used in cloning tissues. Seriously it would be a great day when we could all not have to worry about being on a waiting list for a kidney, liver, lung, heart, etc. Even better, use them to grow nerve cells, and help people who have been paralyzed from accidents, or help people suffering from mutiple scleroris and other diseases.

Well lets see if we can manufacture telomerase:up:

I'll admit you've had a good point in other arguments, but how do you rationalize the cloning of dinosaurs as being a necessary application of the cloning process? I can understand cloning to repopulate species, or to replace organs, or even for food, but cloning dinosaurs is clearly a "because we can" type of thing, and is not necessary.

I realize that my views of science are... unconventional, but I will stand by them until I'm presented with something that changes those views.

I'll admit you've had a good point in other arguments, but how do you rationalize the cloning of dinosaurs as being a necessary application of the cloning process? I can understand cloning to repopulate species, or to replace organs, or even for food, but cloning dinosaurs is clearly a "because we can" type of thing, and is not necessary.

I realize that my views of science are... unconventional, but I will stand by them until I'm presented with something that changes those views.
That's the thing: your views AREN'T unconventional.

Much of the general public knows nothing about the scientific community and the way it works. They see movies like Jurassic Park and assume that the only reason scientists would ever consider cloning dinosaurs is to open a goddamn theme park. "Because we can."

They don't know what phylogeny is. They don't grasp how looking at the anatomy and physiology of an organism can be useful for determining evolutionary relationships. They don't realize how much we can learn. That's probably because they're not scientists.

Science isn't just about serving essential needs. Hell, that's a side effect in most cases. It's about trying to understand the world (and universe) around us.

Besides, this whole debate is ludicrous. There has never been viable dinosaur DNA found, and I really doubt there ever will be.

Last edited:
So in other words your not invited when Jurassic Park opens:o

Megalodons suck. Just feed some steroids to Carcharadons.

Carchules sounds so much better...like Hercules:o

That's the thing: your views AREN'T unconventional.

Much of the general public knows nothing about the scientific community and the way it works. They see movies like Jurassic Park and assume that the only reason scientists would ever consider cloning dinosaurs is to open a goddamn theme park. "Because we can."

They don't know what phylogeny is. They don't grasp how looking at the anatomy and physiology of an organism can be useful for determining evolutionary relationships. They don't realize how much we can learn. That's probably because they're not scientists.

Science isn't just about serving essential needs. Hell, that's a side effect in most cases. It's about trying to understand the world (and universe) around us.

Besides, this whole debate is ludicrous. There has never been viable dinosaur DNA found, and I really doubt there ever will be.

That's the thing, my views are unconventional because I am (or rather will be) a scientist of sorts. I'm going into the field of zoology after I get my vet tech certification, and I want to study behaviour. Yet, I have no strong love for theory, I don't think that seeking knowledge for the sake of knowledge is a good reason to seek such knowledge, and I feel it's pointless, as we'll never have a full understanding of the world, let alone the universe, no matter how advanced a species we become. I see science as a means to an end, and that end is to help make the world better, not understand it.

Megalodon used to be in the genus Carcharodon. Now it's Carcharacles. :cmad:

Carchar-acles! Carchar-acles!

96iws6.jpg

....I'm sorry. :o

My name, Carchules, is so much better:o

I thought they already cloned a mammoth? But the main features of the mammoth (all the hair) wont develop until the offspring were made? (meaning that the generations after the cloney will take on th features).

I just hope we don't have a God Creates Dinosaurs, God Destory's Dinosaurs, God Creates Man, Man Destroy's God. Man Creates Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs eat Man, Women inheret the Earth.

Didn't Jurrassic Park show us why it would be a bad idea to clone Dinosaurs. Yeah I know it's a movie, but in real life, if one was successful, they won't be real dinosaurs they would be mutant Dinosaurs so the could surive the new climate, but who knows how they would adapt to this new environment, and the might be come real monster's for us like the Raptors became monsters instead of Animals in the Movies. I mean haven't we learned are lessen yet, Don't mess with God cause he tends to get extreamly angry when we do, and then experiments go wrong and Bad things Happen.

Dolly became a mutant flesh hungry monster!

Never forget...

*starts playing "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes*
The DoDo truly will never be forgotten...such an amazing creature. RIP Dodo species. In my neighborhood the ducks are badass, they're not afraid of anyone...they walk out in the middle of the street casually and even if you try to scare one off it will just look at you for 10 seconds then continue eating.

So imagine how awesome the Dodo would be! Not that Dodos have anything to do with ducks...but yeah (well they do look like some ducks in my neighborhood)

The DoDo truly will never be forgotten...such an amazing creature. RIP Dodo species. In my neighborhood the ducks are badass, they're not afraid of anyone...they walk out in the middle of the street casually and even if you try to scare one off it will just look at you for 10 seconds then continue eating.

So imagine how awesome the Dodo would be! Not that Dodos have anything to do with ducks...but yeah (well they do look like some ducks in my neighborhood)
The squirrels and the crows at my college campus are quite bold:o

Canadian geese don't stare. They run at you, foaming at the beak and hissing

That's the thing, my views are unconventional because I am (or rather will be) a scientist of sorts. I'm going into the field of zoology after I get my vet tech certification, and I want to study behaviour. Yet, I have no strong love for theory, I don't think that seeking knowledge for the sake of knowledge is a good reason to seek such knowledge, and I feel it's pointless, as we'll never have a full understanding of the world, let alone the universe, no matter how advanced a species we become. I see science as a means to an end, and that end is to help make the world better, not understand it.

See that's the problem with the people. They take Hollywood more seriously than the actual science... we need to understand it to make it a better place. It not just like... "Hey let's cure cancer today... or hey let's make a better renewable energy source today." You need know how the environment and the universe behave before you can do the applications. That's why we have people in the industries that do the practical stuff for today... and we have the scientists that do the stuff today that will only be useful tomorrow. So people need to stop using these ridiculous arguments that knowledge will eventually lead to the destruction of mankind... :whatever:. It's that knowledge that has produced the world we live in today...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"