Jurassic World: Dominion

I agree, the signs are there.

You can only bring so many subscribers after a certain point, and with such huge competition (that Netflix didn't really have in its days of glory) it will become impossible to keep up at some point. Both for audience and executives. Studios will face a dead end at eventually. Not bringing enough content means they'll lose subscribers. Make more expensive productions to attract viewers and they might not be able to attract enough people to actually make revenue. Raise the prices and they'll lose subscribers. Focus on quantity over quality productions, like Netflix has been doing for the past few years, and they'll again lose subscribers.

We won't be there for a few more years, but eventually it is going to happen. History has shown that cinema is a much more stable medium. It has survived world wars, television, various different types of home releases, piracy and a pandemic amongst other things. That's why I was rolling my eyes every time someone was convinced that theatrical releases are dead and streaming is the future.
If anything, streaming will take over for cable, now they are moving into the live sports realm.

But I laughed too at the notion that streaming would squeeze out going to the movies. Theatrical experiences will always be something people will want to have. People enjoy the communal experience of watching a big movie, plus "dinner and a movie" will always be the easiest, most affordable dating option, or even family entertainment option, for a night out.

Having something at home never replaces the outgoing collective experience. It's like saying once food delivery became a popular thing that people would stop going out in restaurants. Especially after two years of lockdowns and isolation it is a ridiculous thing to suggest. Everyone pretty much wants both, depending on the day, and one can never replace the other.

It depends on the movie. Not every movie needs to be seen theatrically and not every movie needs to be seen via streaming. Nobody has ever said one would replace the other. Nobody is forcing you to stay at home to watch movies on your TV. This whole streaming vs theaters argument is ridiculous.

Also…Jurassic World Dominion is still playing in theaters. If you want to go, then go. Nobody is stopping you even if it’s on VOD (which still costs $20 to rent btw so that’s not very cheap either).

It depends on the movie. Not every movie needs to be seen theatrically and not every movie needs to be seen via streaming.
The difference once again is that every movie can be seen via streaming, whether it's a platform exclusive or it comes after a theatrical run. Every movie can be watched at home at some point, but not every movie can be watched in cinemas. So even though I don't necessarily disagree that some films are better suited for different mediums, the point is moot and the comparison unfair.
Nobody has ever said one would replace the other.
Plenty of people have said it. In these forums too.
Nobody is forcing you to stay at home to watch movies on your TV. This whole streaming vs theaters argument is ridiculous.

Also…Jurassic World Dominion is still playing in theaters. If you want to go, then go. Nobody is stopping you even if it’s on VOD (which still costs $20 to rent btw so that’s not very cheap either).
Having such short theatrical windows not only kills a film's legs before its time, but it also hurts cinemas by making people more open in waiting to see it at home. The fewer people see a film, the less screenings it has. In my country some movies leave cinemas after one or two weeks so it's a blink and miss kind of thing. Even many high profile ones don't really stay theatrically after they hit home media. So having the option to watch it wherever you want is in many cases somewhat of an illusion.

Last edited:
Doesn’t that prove that if given the choice, most people would prefer to watch at home?

I consider myself an avid filmgoer. I've been going to the cinema all my life. But all things considered (including my own economic situation, and the audience thinking they're in the couch of their own house), it is becoming exceedingly less special watching movies on the big screen.
And one of the main reasons is that in less than a month, month a half, I can already watch it at home. One had to wait half a year, sometimes even a whole year to rent it and watch it again so if you really wanted to see it earlier, you had to go to the cinemas. That is just gone. It definitely has become a lesser experience, one that I don't enjoy anymore as I used to.

Doesn’t that prove that if given the choice, most people would prefer to watch at home?
Last year's premier access and day-and-date releases repeatedly disproved that. It's no coincidence that every studio stopped doing that and they only throw in their platforms movies that don't have much faith in now. Outside the ones that were always going to play in streaming, of course.

Having such short theatrical windows still makes films lose a chunk of the crowd, though. Which is why I think it shouldn't be the norm to what people might expect, especially for blockbusters. It should be based on a movie's box office performance individually.

We’ll see how the box office continues to be. I notice people like to say that theatrical is back when a movie does well but brings up streaming when a movie tanks. You can’t have it both ways.

Haha, that is interesting to see. Definitely wouldn’t have pictured it to be like that.

To be fair I mean this is literally like so many movies and shows with ADR, not a new thing haha.

Saw it today and thought it was a bit rushed in parts and the locust stuff was meh but it was a fun adventure with spectacular set-pieces and it was great to see Alan and Ellie in tandem again as well as a little return for Barry. Dewanda Wise was a cool addition as Kayla, she got plenty action and was fundamental in saving the day, I liked her dynamic with Owen. I also thought Ramsay was a good addition, shame both characters hadn't been introduced earlier in this second trilogy.

My highlights were Owen and the cowboys wrangling the dinosaurs in the snowy Sierra mountains, the great chase sequence in Malta which is one of the best of the year, the birdosaur attacking the plane and then Owen and Kayla on the ice, the shot of Claire underwater with the T-Rex jaws above her, and the Owen/Alan and Claire/Ellie team-ups in the finale. The final shot of the various dinosaurs intergrating with their modern equivalent animals was beautiful. They tried to cram a lot in and it gave the movie a very cluttered feel with plenty of convenient moments to move the story along, but overall I enjoyed it and felt it was a decent conclusion to the franchise.

Bullet Train Rolls Out With $62.5M Global Start; Top Gun Tops $1.35B WW – Deadline

Universal/Amblin’s Jurassic World Dominion this weekend surpassed Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness to become the 2nd biggest Hollywood release of 2022 worldwide. The global cume through Sunday is $960.1M including $588.2Moverseas. The latter figure puts it about in line with Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom at the same point and when excluding China and Russia. The international weekend was $6.2M in 86 markets.

Biggest markets to date are China ($157.4M), UK($41.7M), France ($28.4M), Germany ($23.3M) and Japan ($20.2M).

The extended cut is 14 minutes longer and has an alt opening bringing the runtime to 160 minutes!

:thud:

Maybe the Jokersaurus actually gets to do something this time. Like kill someone.

I'm curious about the extended scenes but if I'm being honest this movie was such a big let down for me that there's no way I'm gonna sit through this again this soon willingly.

The extended cut is 14 minutes longer and has an alt opening bringing the runtime to 160 minutes!

:thud:
Pretty sure the alternate opening is just the prologue they cut out from the original release. Everybody's seen it, so it's not exactly anything new lol

Pretty sure the alternate opening is just the prologue they cut out from the original release. Everybody's seen it, so it's not exactly anything new lol

I actually didn't see it but would like too. The problem is this movie was overlong as is.

Stupidly cut since it tied back to the ending of the movie. At least now the “rematch” makes a little more sense.

I actually didn't see it but would like too. The problem is this movie was overlong as is.
It's still on YouTube so you can find it easily. :up:

It is unironically the best thing to come out of this movie, but that's not really saying much.

I'm going to buy it for completion's sake but I am curious to see if the extended version is an improvement. Since it's putting the prologue back in I'm guessing it's at least a little bit of an upgrade.

It's the bloated runtime I'm shocked about. I expected the extended cut to be one of those 1 or 2 minute longer deals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"