Jurassic World: Dominion

Yeah I never got the complaints about Malcolm being different in TLW. Not only did he endure the first movie, but he also had to contend with his girlfriend and daughter being on the island with him.
Yeah that makes it a lot more personal and he can’t be as carefree.

The Lost World is criminally underrated. The late Pete Postlethwaite was great as big game hunter Roland Tembo. I thing the third act is the biggest let down with that film. Rampaging Tyrannosaurus in San Diego was meh. Spielberg admitted he became disenfranchised later into the production and it showed in the third act.
He’s got to be one of the best JP characters of all after the first film. Yeah same here. If the third act had been on the level of the rest of the film I’d hold it in much higher regard.

He’s got to be one of the best JP characters of all after the first film. Yeah same here. If the third act had been on the level of the rest of the film I’d hold it in much higher regard.
Not one of, he's the best JP character introduced after the first movie. Vincent D'Onofrio, Jake Johnson and DeWanda Wise's characters in the Jurassic World movies are the only other real noteworthy ones but none of them came close to Roland Tembo.

Not one of, he's the best JP character introduced after the first movie. Vincent D'Onofrio, Jake Johnson and DeWanda Wise's characters in the Jurassic World movies are the only other real noteworthy ones but none of them came close to Roland Tembo.
You’re right. I was unnecessarily loose in my wording. :up:

I would've been fine with Dominion but what makes it even worse for me is how they misused the original trio. For some reason I... didn't feel like they were the same characters, or they forgot how to play them... or (most probably) they gave them horrible scenes to play with. Specially Grant. Seeing him out of his element was jarring.

I knew the moment they had Laura Dern say "He slid into my DMs." that there was no coming back from this movie.

And yeah, Sam Neill half the time was in the background doing absolutely nothing because they gave him nothing to work with.

I knew the moment they had Laura Dern say "He slid into my DMs." that there was no coming back from this movie.

And yeah, Sam Neill half the time was in the background doing absolutely nothing because they gave him nothing to work with.
My God. It wasn't until he picked up a torch that he looked comfortable in the role. He just didn't fit in those modern environments.

I actually thought Goldblum was a highlight. He felt like Malcolm (albeit, original JP Malcolm) through and through.

I would've been fine with Dominion but what makes it even worse for me is how they misused the original trio. For some reason I... didn't feel like they were the same characters, or they forgot how to play them... or (most probably) they gave them horrible scenes to play with. Specially Grant. Seeing him out of his element was jarring.
Jeff Goldblum had me laughing my ass off. He didn’t give a **** about anything that was happening.

Goldblum was the only one that kinda felt consistent. But I highly doubt he would've been involved in that facility in any capacity.

Gave the extended cut a watch and ooof, the movie is even more boring on second viewing.

The best part of the movie is the old cast and the JW cast working together and interacting. Unfortunately the movie takes its sweet time getting to that moment, and the 40 minutes before that is a slog.

That entire section in Malta felt like a James Bond movie scene with dinosaurs inserted into it.

They gave Dodson the same death as Nedry in Jurassic Park, but it wasn't as scary or as atmospheric. Maybe because it happened in his tram car, and there was no rain or thunder. But it felt a bit flat for what it should be.

The best part of the movie is the old cast and the JW cast working together and interacting. Unfortunately the movie takes its sweet time getting to that moment, and the 40 minutes before that is a slog.

That entire section in Malta felt like a James Bond movie scene with dinosaurs inserted into it.

*Jason Bourne. It even had the scene where a character jumps from one building into the window of another one. Only in this case it was a dinosaur. :funny:

The 14-hour extended version is on Peacock and I figured I would give it a shot. I enjoyed most of the stuff with the OG three but everything with Pratt and Bryce either involves chasing dinosaurs, being chased by dinosaurs or fighting bad guys with dinosaurs used as a weapon, lol. I love how Pratt stops every single dino by simply putting his hand up. It’s as if he learned all his dinosaur-whispering techniques by watching the bull scene in Crocodile Dundee on repeat.

And God, the writing is so bad.
Bryce infiltrates an underground dino dogfighting ring and the FIRST person she approaches just happens to be the exact person who knows what happened to Maisie. Also, when we find out the details of Maisie’s birth, I honestly laughed out loud. All that was missing was some talk about midichlorians.

I can’t believe how far this series has fallen. And I’m not even that big of a fan of the original. But it’s just sad that they got the three leads from the first film back for this crap.

Everyday I’m appreciating The Lost World more even though I don’t particularly like that movie. I guess this is the state of most franchises today, bad recent entries making us wish we hadn’t been so harsh on previous ones.

Everyday I’m appreciating The Lost World more even though I don’t particularly like that movie. I guess this is the state of most franchises today, bad recent entries making us wish we hadn’t been so harsh on previous ones.

Honestly, I feel like they never should have made sequels to the original. None of them are good. TLW is probably the best and even that turns into a big ball of stupidity with the gymnastics scene and the Godzilla sequence. The first JW had some good moments but then you get crap like Bryce outrunning a T-Rex wearing HEELS. Obviously when a movie is a huge blockbuster like the original JP, Hollywood will want to make sequels, but even that was misguided in that they didn’t bring back the two characters from the original who would have actually made sense. It also deserves some flack for unleashing Vince Vaughn upon the world, lol. But yeah. All that said, Dominion and Fallen Kingdom were next-level bad. I didn’t think you could get worse than JP3 but they pulled it off.

Also. When the hell did Screaming Guy from Fallen Kingdom and Other Raptor Trainer Guy from JW become CIA agents? :funny:

Honestly, I feel like they never should have made sequels to the original. None of them are good. TLW is probably the best and even that turns into a big ball of stupidity with the gymnastics scene and the Godzilla sequence. The first JW had some good moments but then you get crap like Bryce outrunning a T-Rex wearing HEELS. Obviously when a movie is a huge blockbuster like the original JP, Hollywood will want to make sequels, but even that was misguided in that they didn’t bring back the two characters from the original who would have actually made sense. It also deserves some flack for unleashing Vince Vaughn upon the world, lol. But yeah. All that said, Dominion and Fallen Kingdom were next-level bad. I didn’t think you could get worse than JP3 but they pulled it off.

Also. When the hell did Screaming Guy from Fallen Kingdom and Other Raptor Trainer Guy from JW become CIA agents? :funny:
I can say the same thing about so many franchises (Terminator, Alien) but I also understand from a business perspective that you need to bring people back to theaters. If Hollywood didn’t do sequels they wouldn’t have the revenue to make originals. It’s a double edged sword. I’m at a state where I just ignore bad sequels and remakes. Most people seem to forget that Robocop and Total Recall had remakes.

Watching this now and....yeah its not really that interesting. The OG plot is a bit more interesting than the Newbies plot and there is somewhat decent story underneath everything but it is a shame they didn't give us a better film to go out on.

Idk why each film needs to bring in a new teen to center on instead of just setting them up from the beginning and allowing us to follow their journey.

I can say the same thing about so many franchises (Terminator, Alien) but I also understand from a business perspective that you need to bring people back to theaters. If Hollywood didn’t do sequels they wouldn’t have the revenue to make originals. It’s a double edged sword. I’m at a state where I just ignore bad sequels and remakes. Most people seem to forget that Robocop and Total Recall had remakes.

Yeah, sometimes you have to just ignore bad sequels so they don’t ruin your enjoyment of the good movies. Terminator and Alien each had one good sequel and then they should have stopped, and Robocop shouldn’t have had a sequel at all, but yeah, gotta make that money. And I’m not even opposed to sequels if there is new and interesting territory to explore. But oftentimes there isn’t.

Does that mean that one day you will be able to appreciate JWD?

Does that mean that one day you will be able to appreciate JWD?
Maybe? I don’t know. It’ll be hard for whatever sequel comes next to be as bad as Dominion.

At this point, they might as well introduce cyborg dinosaurs and cross it over with Fast & the Furious. I know the original novel and movie weren’t based on “real” science but at least they seemed fairly grounded and plausible. Now, the series is one step away from Biosyn generically engineering firebreathing dragons. It’s completely bonkers.

I think if TLW had another script rewrite to flesh out the characters a little bit more it would be much better regarded. Most of the characters with the exception of Roland Tembo feel like they were written by a bot and the actors just seem bored with the dialogue. The dinosaur sequences in it are almost as good as the first film and the VFX themselves are understandably an improvement since it came out four years later so on that front it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"