Ken Burns And Lynn Novick's THE VIETNAM WAR On PBS

I was so surprised no thread existed for this series.

Even someone that felt he had a grip on the history of the period, I must say this series continues to bring me new information as well as having moments clarity. I always knew of the shooting at Kent State and that it inspired CSNY's OHIO. Still, seeing the history up to that point and then having the episode that dealt with the shooting end with Ohio... It moved me. The whole series moves me. I grew up a Reagan baby. Even with parents whose formative years were the Vietnam era I was raised in Reagan's morning in America. The "radicals" had been beat bat. We were the shining city on the Hill again. So I don't think there general "vibe'' of my childhood was all that different from the one my parents grew up with in the 1950's. Then... Then you learn history. It's hard not to be disillusioned again watching this. But... The truth needs to be stared at head on. This has been a heartbreaking but illuminating series. The fault lines are oddly the same today given all the years, politically speaking. And I am sorry but I feel the same types of my fellow American citizens are on the wrong side of history yet again.

Still, as a testament to the lives lost in this conflict, especially our own service members, it's something I think EVERY AMERICAN CITIZEN needs to see.

This documentary has been phenomenal. It's so much to take in the first go round that I'm looking forward to my second viewing, and it's always a treat when Trent Reznor scores one of these things.

The final episode was powerful having been through this look back with all the people that had lived through it. Interesting that so many veterans were involved with normalizing relations with Vietnam in the 1980's.

The final episode was powerful having been through this look back with all the people that had lived through it. Interesting that so many veterans were involved with normalizing relations with Vietnam in the 1980's.

I had other things going on, so I couldn't pay much attention. I'll have to wait for one of the 800 replays to really get a chance to watch it.

I'm not familiar with how PBS treats its mini-series -- will this eventually be issued as a DVD set?

I'm not familiar with how PBS treats its mini-series -- will this eventually be issued as a DVD set?

The 10-disc DVD set is already out. My library has several copies of it.

Whoa!! I guess I should have checked into it first!

Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"