Lionsgate to distribute Wolverine and The X-men on DVD

TheVileOne

Eternal
Reaction score
http://marvel.toonzone.net/news.php?action=fullnews&id=60

Lionsgate Acquires Home Entertainment Distribution Rights To The "Wolverine & The X-Men"
August 01, 2008 by James Harvey

Lionsgate Home Entertainment has issued a press release concerning their recent acquisition of the home video rights to Wolverine & The X-Men.

Press Release:

Lionsgate (NYSE:LGF), the premier independent filmed entertainment studio, announced today that it has acquired the home entertainment distribution rights the new animated series from global entertainment licensing company Marvel Entertainment, Inc. -- Wolverine & The X-Men. Under the terms of the arrangement, Lionsgate retains the United States home distribution rights to all 26 action-packed half-hour episodes of Wolverine & The X-Men,(a co-production with Toonz Entertainment Pte Ltd., Singapore and First Serve International Ltd.), a brand new animated series that is scheduled to air on Nicktoons Network beginning in January 2009. The announcement was made by Lionsgate Executive Vice President of Marketing and Family Entertainment Anne Parducci and Marvel Animation President Eric Rollman. The deal was negotiated by Marc Danon, Lionsgate Senior Director of Home Entertainment Acquisitions and Business Development and Sam Wollman, Lionsgate Executive Director of Business & Legal Affairs and Marvel Executives Eric Rollman, David Galluzzi and Josh Silverman.

"As evidenced by the recent success of Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk in theatres, there is nothing hotter in Hollywood than Marvel's amazing lineup of Super Heroes," said Parducci. "We have had tremendous results with our Marvel animated features and this deal reflects the next chapter in our on-going relationship. These series' are based upon proven entities on the big screen and DVD and they will feature a similar animation style to the Marvel DVD's we are currently releasing."

"Lionsgate has an impressive team of executives in the home entertainment division and their passion for Marvel product has been evidenced through their award winning execution on our animated features," said Rollman. "We have developed a very respectful and complimentary relationship which we are thrilled to continue to build on with this important animated series."

Lionsgate was selected as the distribution partner following the tremendous success of its current development, production, and distribution relationship with Marvel for original animated direct-to-DVD features based upon specific characters in the Marvel Universe. Signed in 2004, the companies have currently released the first four titles -- Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2, Doctor Strange and The Invincible Iron Man -- under the agreement. Each of these titles has debuted as the number one children's non-theatrical release for the week and cumulatively they have shipped more than three million units. The next Marvel animated features -- Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow -- will be released on September 2nd.

Additionally, the companies have a theatrical relationship, which began in April 2004 with Lionsgate's release of The Punisher starring Thomas Jane and Rebecca Romijn. Lionsgate will also be releasing The Punisher: War Zone, a re-imagining of The Punisher in theatres this December.

The announcement also continues Lionsgate's momentum in the family genre, as it comes on the heels of the studio's recent multiyear agreements with family entertainment leader HIT Entertainment, leading developer of technology-based learning products LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. and leading consumer entertainment products company MGA Entertainment for the ever-popular Little Tikes(R) brand. With these agreements in place, Lionsgate expects its family home entertainment market share of non-theatrical product to grow to approximately 15%, positioning the Company as one of the three industry leaders in that space. In addition, Lionsgate releases to DVD a virtual who's-who in family entertainment brands, including Speed Racer and Speed Racer: The Next Generation, Marvel(TM) Animated Features, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, MGA's Bratz(TM), Scholastic's Clifford the Big Red Dog, American Greetings' The Care Bears, HIT Entertainment's Thomas & Friends(TM), Bob the Builder(TM), Barney(TM), Angelina Ballerina(TM), Cookie Jar Entertainment's The Doodlebops and Nelvana's Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends.

About Wolverine and the X-Men:
An explosive event shatters the lives of the X-Men and takes away their mentor, Professor X. The beaten heroes, including Beast, Storm, Cyclops and Nightcrawler, walk away from it all but then they are given a rare glimpse into the future, where they see a world in utter ruin ... ruled by giant destructive robots. They discover the world has spiraled out of control because the X-Men have given up. So now the most legendary of all X-Men, Wolverine, must take the lead on the ultimate mission -- to prevent the world's destruction -- while fending off enemies Magneto and The Brotherhood.

About Lionsgate:
Lionsgate is a leading next generation filmed entertainment studio with a major presence in the production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home entertainment, family entertainment, video-on-demand and digitally delivered content. The Company is leveraging its content leadership and marketing expertise through a series of partnerships that include the operation of the highly successful FEARNet branded VOD and Internet horror channel with Sony and Comcast, the recent announcement of the fall 2009 launch of a new premium entertainment channel with partners Viacom, Paramount Pictures and MGM, investment in the leading young men's digital distribution platform Break.com, ownership of the premier independent television syndication company Debmar-Mercury LLC and an alliance with independent filmed entertainment production and distribution company Roadside Attractions. Lionsgate also has forged partnerships with leading content creators, owners and distributors in key territories around the world, including Televisa in the U.S. and Latin America, StudioCanal in the UK, Hoyts and Sony in Australia and Eros International in India.

The Company has generated more than $450 million at the North American theatrical box office in the past year and has released a string of hits including The Forbidden Kingdom, Tyler Perry's Meet The Browns, The Bank Job, Rambo, The Eye, Saw IV, Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married?, Good Luck Chuck, 3:10 To Yuma and War, most of which have opened at #1 or #2 at the box office. The Company has also forged leadership positions in television and home entertainment with the production of such critically-acclaimed television series as Weeds and Mad Men, the distribution of Tyler Perry's House of Payne, Family Feud, South Park, Trivial Pursuit and The Dead Zone, among others, and approximately 9% market share and the industry's leading box office-to-DVD conversion rate in home entertainment. Lionsgate handles a prestigious and prolific library of approximately 12,000 motion picture and television titles that is an important source of recurring revenue and serves as the foundation for the growth of the Company's core businesses. The Lionsgate brand is synonymous with entrepreneurial innovation and original, daring, quality entertainment in markets around the globe. For more information, visit http://www.lionsgate.com

About Marvel:
With a library of over 5,000 characters built over more than sixty years of comic book publishing, Marvel Entertainment, Inc. is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in licensing, entertainment (via Marvel Studios and Marvel Animation) and publishing (via Marvel Comics), with emphasis on feature films, television, DVD, consumer products, video games, action figures, role-playing toys and promotions. Marvel's strategy is to leverage its franchises in a growing array of opportunities around the world. For more information visit http://www.marvel.com.

Great news. Everything is really coming together for this show. The pilot was fantastic. They've got a network, and now a DVD distributor. I'm pumped to get into an X-men show again.

Hopefully Lions Gate recognizes that people want Season Sets and will patiently wait for them and allow piddly 3-4 episode sets to collect dust. They save costs that way as well. But, who knows.

Hopefully I get to see episodes online before having to see them for the first time on DVD, but I can always go back to it. I just watched FF:WGH from 2006, most of the episodes for the first time on box set, and saw it as underappreciated.

Plus, Marvel is already in bed with Lions Gate, releasing mostly sub-par animated DTV's with them and having Lions Gate run the PUNISHER franchise. So this seems like a logical choice.

You'll be happy to know Dread that X-men is not sub-par.

And Next Avengers is pretty fun.

If I see so much as one four episode dvd, I'm kicking some ass. Cut the crap, and give us some damn full season sets.

You can count me in on the ass kicking :p. I hate it when they do that!

Don't buy them.

Very rarely has a Marvel series not gotten season sets. So just wait until they come out.

Even Nickelodeon did 4 episode sets for Avatar.

I never said I would. I just hate when they release those instead of a whole season.

The thing is though, for a popular show, both will sell.

The other thing is that one season set can be expensive. Yes its cheaper to wait and buy a season set, but to the regular buyer it might seem like too much at once.

If X-men is a 26 episode first season, the set will probably run a little higher than something like season 2 of masters of the universe

X-Men Evolution never got Season Sets for Seasons 1 & 2, and Season 4 was never released in any format. Granted, that was WB.

The shows from the 70's-90's are in embargo/legal hell.

But I presume you mean "Marvel shows after 2003", in that case, yeah, the two that have debuted, MTV SPIDER-MAN and FF: WGH got season sets.

I do expect W&TXM to be better than some of the DTV's. NEXT AVENGERS looks ridiculously kiddy and a network TV pilot for a show that is never being made rather than something about the actual Avengers, which irked me because some of the artwork for the 616 Avengers in that looked good. The only cartoon they ever had was AVENGERS: UNITED THEY STAND and I doubt that is ever going to change. I learned from INVINCIBLE IRON MAN to just rent the DTV's I am iffy about.

I'm pretty sure FF got season sets didn't it?

The other shows are tied up with Disney and a whole bunch of legal crap.

Really? I thought Disney was just being a bunch of lazy ****s.

I want...
Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends (loved that show)
Spider-Man '90
X-Men '90
X-Men: Evolution (cut the crap, Warner Bros. Give me the seasons.)
Spectacular Spider-Man season sets (I'm sure it will happen eventually, but not soon enough)
Wolverine and the X-Men (do this right, Lionsgate)

Hmm...its funny how the best Marvel cartoons involve Spidey or the X-Men. IMO, Iron Man was only half decent, and I never saw much of the hulk, silver surfer or the avengers.

The 2006 FF cartoon was owned by Fox, which put out the box set (which is great, BTW).

The 90's FF series did get a box set around when the first film came out from Disney, but they got into legal hassles because their rights to that may have expired, so it is out of print. Who owns what in the Marvel library before 2000 has been a hairy issue. And X-Men Evolution will never get decent releases because both Marvel and WB hated the compromises made to air that show nor like sharing profits.

But, at least W&TXM and the post-2003 era cartoons haven't faced those issues. The MTV Spider-Man show got released. SS-M will be hitting DVD shelves this year. And so on. The rights to the past are still a mess, but at least the present and future seem clear.

OK so we got 90's FF at least.

I think its depressing though that Marvel, WB, and Disney can't work these issues out. As well as Disney not knowing when rights to something expired and if they even actually have DVD rights and such.

Ultimately, I think Marvel at some point should do all their own home entertainment releasing like WWE does for their library. WWE's library releases used to be outsourced to another company called Coliseum video before they started re-releasing everything themselves.

Working with all these other companies seems to just cause problems and legal issues.

Fans should be able to get all these shows and episodes on DVD no problem. Especially X-men 1990's. That show was so popular and is the main reason the movies got made. Just saying, it would make a ton of money to get good DVD's of that show released, season sets, and all. But it ain't happening. Same with 1990's Spider-man.

I just read on wikipedia that Marvel is trying to reaquire the rights to X-Men '90, Spider-Man '90 and other shows. It doesnt have a citation, so it might be bull, but I'm holding out hope.

I hope they do. Season sets of those shows on DVD would do huge.

I mean we get everything for the DC animation, but Marvel animation is all messed up for DVD.

I hope they do. Season sets of those shows on DVD would do huge.

I mean we get everything for the DC animation, but Marvel animation is all messed up for DVD.

Thats why I am so pissed that they havent happened yet. There has been three perfect opportunities for Spidey and three perfect opportunities for X-Men to happen (with a fourth next May). It isnt like they wouldnt sell, people would buy the crap out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"