Keyser Soze's Top 10... Actors

Exactly. I think people tend to love Bale's American Psycho performance as much as they do because it's more 'out there'. It's a very theatrical, bombastic role and Bale really chews up the scenery with it. With that said, Alfred Borden indeed stands as Bale's most nuanced and finest character to date. It's very easy to dismiss or overlook the subtleties Bale has brought to the part.

It's not an easy task to balance the act of deceiving your audience into thinking you're playing a single character while at the same time, clearly delivering a performance that, upon closer observation, is two very different characters.

Yeah. I haven't tried to exactly figure out who's who in which scene, but as I said. It probably can be done. Ofcourse you're gonna have to find a way to distinguish the two by name. Which could be most easily done by naming them Sarah-Borden and Olivia-Borden.

The scene in which the Bordens say farewell to eachother is the finest piece of acting in the film. ''You go and live your life for both of us''. That stuff brings tears to my eyes. Ofcourse, being part of a twin myself I can easily imagine the intense pain such a scenario would create. And also when Borden confronts Angier at the theatre filled with tanks. So much sorrow in his eyes. It's incredible.

Well here's are my 10 picks. No order except for #1

Humphrey Bogart
Must-see role: Sam Spade in The Maltese Falcon
Jack Nicholson
Must-see role: Randall Patrick McMurphy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
Robert DeNiro
Must-see role: Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull
Clint Eastwood
Must-see role: Detective Harry Callahan in Dirty Harry
Al Pacino
Must-see role: Sonny Wortzik in Dog Day Afternoon
Brad Pitt
Must-see role: Jesse James in The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford.
Christian Bale
Must-see role: Alfred Borden in The Prestige
Clive Owen
Must-see role: Theo Faron in Children of Men
James Cagney
Must-see role: Cody Jarrett in White Heat.

1. Michael Caine
He's done some turkeys. It's incredible. The 80's were fillled with ****. But man, he did some classics aswell. A defining actor of the British cinema. Especially during the 60's. He's played so many iconic characters it's almost unfair; Harry Palmer, Alfie, Charlie Croker, Jack Carter and ofcourse recently Alfred. In recent years he's in quality films again, although a bit typecast in the ''mentor'' or ''nice old man'' role. I can basically enjoy everything he's done.
Must-see role: Jack Carter in Get Carter. Vicious, sinister, Jack Carter tries to contain his murderous anger but in the end...can't. Amazing.

I forgot to give Gary Oldman a mention in my previous posts... another guy that doesn't get enough credit... some of the more underrated actors along with Hoffman (probably because he is fat)... overrated are probably Denzel (I just don't see the characters anymore... just the actor... but that happens when you've had as much success as him)... Cruise probably a bit overrated but he gets the flack mostly due to his off the screen antics... Will Smith hasn't impressed me that much to be honest... here is a guy that is supposed to be one of the new big three along with Foxx and maybe Whitaker now... he still hasn't delivered the Oscar performamce... Pursuit was a let down for me personally... not bad... I just had high expectations... I mean he's a better actor than Foxx... but to me it seems he just keeps going for the next big pay day roles...

Yeah. I haven't tried to exactly figure out who's who in which scene, but as I said. It probably can be done. Ofcourse you're gonna have to find a way to distinguish the two by name. Which could be most easily done by naming them Sarah-Borden and Olivia-Borden.

The scene in which the Bordens say farewell to eachother is the finest piece of acting in the film. ''You go and live your life for both of us''. That stuff brings tears to my eyes. Ofcourse, being part of a twin myself I can easily imagine the intense pain such a scenario would create. And also when Borden confronts Angier at the theatre filled with tanks. So much sorrow in his eyes. It's incredible.

I think there are very obvious clues as to which twin in on-screen in The Prestige. Alfred is the calmer, more level-headed of the two, Fallon being the louder, more ambitious and reckless one. There are definitely scenes in which you could clearly distinguish between them:

1. Alfred is the one who figures out the Chinaman's trick.

2. Fallon is the who was responsible for the death of Angier's wife. And it was Alfred who went to that funeral, that's why he said "I don't know" when Angier asked him which knot he tied. It's one of the few truly "honest" moments in a film filled with deception. Not to mention the "bullet-catch" scene with Angier, which too was Alfred.

3. Fallon was the one who gets captured by Angier and then buried alive. You could easily tell because prior to that Alfred tells him when he is informed that Angier is following them, "let him come, I don't care". But Fallon doesn't let it go. And this is repeated once again in the final act of the film when Alfred tells Fallon "let him have his trick, I don't need his secret, so...don't go back there, the both of us, we're done". And Fallon's careless curiosity leads him straight into Angier's trap yet again.

4. Fallon plans stages the entire sabotage scene in which Angier breaks his leg. And expectedly, you see Alfred in disguise, sitting in the crowd, smiling quietly with his head down.

5. You can also tell the twins apart by the women they loved. It is Fallon's outbursts that ruin Alfred's marriage. Likewise, you can also see in one scene in which Olivia courts him by calling him "Freddie" but Alfred responds with "please don't call me that". Because he loved Sarah, not Olivia.

Keep these hints in mind the next time you watch The Prestige. It'll be almost like a completely new experience.

And there are many, many more such equally brilliant, subtle touches in Bale's performance in The Prestige that show he has earned the right to be on every Top 10 Actor's list. :up:

PADDY CONSIDINE :up:

Good to here him get a menition. The guy is so underrated. He was great in 'In America' and 'My Summer Of Love'. He was also quite funny in Hot Fuzz.

Another actor I really like is Chiwetel Ejiofor.

I have a Top 6 List of Young Actors (under 30)
These are in no particular order

Emil Hirsch
Jamie Bell
Shia Labeouf
Paul Dano
Joseph Gordon Levitt
Ryan Gosling

I forgot to give Gary Oldman a mention in my previous posts... another guy that doesn't get enough credit... some of the more underrated actors along with Hoffman (probably because he is fat)... overrated are probably Denzel (I just don't see the characters anymore... just the actor... but that happens when you've had as much success as him)... Cruise probably a bit overrated but he gets the flack mostly due to his off the screen antics... Will Smith hasn't impressed me that much to be honest... here is a guy that is supposed to be one of the new big three along with Foxx and maybe Whitaker now... he still hasn't delivered the Oscar performamce... Pursuit was a let down for me personally... not bad... I just had high expectations... I mean he's a better actor than Foxx... but to me it seems he just keeps going for the next big pay day roles...

One funny thing that Will Smith said in an interview has always stayed with me.

INTERVIEWER: What kind of films do you normally like to choose?
WILL SMITH: The ones Tom Cruise turns down.

I find that interesting now, looking back on it, because I think Will Smith is kinda following a similar career trajectory to Cruise now, with these big blockbusters built more around his name than anything else. It's kinda like "The Will Smith Blockbuster" has become its own kinda sub-genre.

I like the guy, and respect him. And he's successful too, moreso than even Tom Cruise now, from what I've read about his box office takings. But Will Smith's recent films - "I Am Legend", "The Pursuit of Happyness", "Hitch", "I, Robot" - just haven't appealed to me, I just didn't feel compelled to go see them, still haven't seen them. Of course, plenty of people just eat Will Smith films up, so he's clearly doing something right. I just think he needs to be careful about getting into a rut, about being too "safe" with his film choices.

I think Will Smith needs to go more "out there", and try his hand at a different kind of movie, something a lot more small-scale and edgy - kinda like Tom Cruise's "Magnolia" turn, to continue the comparison - that might confound some of his current mainstream fanbase, but could also go a long way to earning him crediblity in the eyes of fans outside his current demographic.

I have no doubt that Will Smith is a highly talented actor. But I think he needs to do more to show it.

Good list! The Shield is also my favorite show and I get goosebumps thinking about how well acted Kavanaugh was by Whittaker. That performance made me want to see the Last King of Scotland, and I'm glad I did.

One funny thing that Will Smith said in an interview has always stayed with me.

INTERVIEWER: What kind of films do you normally like to choose?
WILL SMITH: The ones Tom Cruise turns down.

I find that interesting now, looking back on it, because I think Will Smith is kinda following a similar career trajectory to Cruise now, with these big blockbusters built more around his name than anything else. It's kinda like "The Will Smith Blockbuster" has become its own kinda sub-genre.

I like the guy, and respect him. And he's successful too, moreso than even Tom Cruise now, from what I've read about his box office takings. But Will Smith's recent films - "I Am Legend", "The Pursuit of Happyness", "Hitch", "I, Robot" - just haven't appealed to me, I just didn't feel compelled to go see them, still haven't seen them. Of course, plenty of people just eat Will Smith films up, so he's clearly doing something right. I just think he needs to be careful about getting into a rut, about being too "safe" with his film choices.

I think Will Smith needs to go more "out there", and try his hand at a different kind of movie, something a lot more small-scale and edgy - kinda like Tom Cruise's "Magnolia" turn, to continue the comparison - that might confound some of his current mainstream fanbase, but could also go a long way to earning him crediblity in the eyes of fans outside his current demographic.

I have no doubt that Will Smith is a highly talented actor. But I think he needs to do more to show it.

Will Smith has said he usually chooses roles written for white actors e.g Independance Day, I Am Legend, Wild Wild West, Enemy Of The State

Also Smith has diversity in roles. The Pursuit of Happyness his a struggling single parent, Hitch is a romantic comedy, Ali isn't a Blockbuster either and The Legend Of Bagger Vance was diffrent role for will too.

I think Six Degrees Of Seperation which he made while still in Fresh Prince to prove to people he can act is one of his most un-Will Smith role. He plays a gay conman in the mold of Catcher In The Ryes Holden Caulfield.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Degrees_of_Separation_(film)

Will Smith has said he usually chooses roles written for white actors e.g Independance Day, I Am Legend, Wild Wild West, Enemy Of The State

Also Smith has diversity in roles. The Pursuit of Happyness his a struggling single parent, Hitch is a romantic comedy, Ali isn't a Blockbuster either and The Legend Of Bagger Vance was diffrent role for will too.

I think Six Degrees Of Seperation which he made while still in Fresh Prince to prove to people he can act is one of his most un-Will Smith role. He plays a gay conman in the mold of Catcher In The Ryes Holden Caulfield.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Degrees_of_Separation_(film)

Ah, I've seen that! I was going to mention that as one of Will Smith's bravest performances. Probably still one of his best acting roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"