Keyser Soze's Top 10... Directors

who are you talking to, good sir?

if its the op i would suggest you reread his post because he clearly states its a list of currently working directors not an all time greats kinda thing. :yay:

Keyser i do agree with nolan..but your right the must see movie is a controversial choice. To me it will always be Memento....

btw no love sergio leone or akira

Ridley Scott and James Cameron should've been on that list instead of Paul Thomas Anderson and David Lynch. Kyser's choices seem to incline more towards up and coming directors rather than revolutionary filmmakers who've already proven their worth and made their mark in cinema. I'm talking about talent the likes of Francis Ford Coppola, David Lean, Akira Kurosawa and Orson Welles.

Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino. Because these guys' movies have started my love for film. I was completely blown away by Pulp Fiction and later, Goodfellas.
The Coen Brothers are consistently great. I'll watch anything they make.
Terry Gilliam. Hard to watch at times (Brazil, Tideland) but so imaginative and interesting. Not everything he does is good, but it's ALWAYS interesting.
Christopher Nolan is excellent. Hasn't made a bad film yet. To hear him talk about movies is fascinating. He really, really knows what he's doing.
Alfred Hitchcock ofcourse, Sergio Leone, John Huston, Guy Ritchie, Wes Anderson, David Fincher, Clint Eastwood.

Ridley Scott and James Cameron should've been on that list instead of Paul Thomas Anderson and David Lynch. Kyser's choices seem to incline more towards up and coming directors rather than revolutionary filmmakers who've already proven their worth and made their mark in cinema. I'm talking about talent the likes of Francis Ford Coppola, David Lean, Akira Kurosawa and Orson Welles.

I would of added the Scott Brothers combined or atleat Ridley Scott.
Come on Blade Runner, Alien, Gladiator, American Gangster, Thelma and Louise, Legend.

All great directors, of course, but like I said in the introduction, this top ten was not about the "all-time greatest". It was about what directors are making the best films NOW. Ridley Scott has been increasingly inconsistent in recent years, and James Cameron hasn't directed a film in over a decade.

david lynch and pt anderson are no where near up and coming.:huh: lynch has been making movies for decades and anderson made boogie nights over a decade ago. add to that the fact they he has already been nominated for a number of oscars and he basically co directed robert altman's last two movies and i would say he has "proven his worth and made (his)... mark" already.

besides, he clearly states its not an all time list:whatever:

oh and i forgot to list terry gilliam. his last film was kinda iffy but most of his stuff is brilliant

No love for James Cameron, Ridley Scott, Stanley Kubrick, Tim Burton, etc. in this thread?

People are focusing way to much on the director part of the title and not enough on the Keyser Soze part. Keyser put up 10 picks and explained his picks really well. Scott, Ridley, Cameron, Kubrick, Burton, are all great theres no denying but Soze focused on the other 10 instead.

And even though it is not an all-time list, Burton still belongs there. I think his best work has been his most recent stuff. Big Fish was great and a departure from his normal style (in general) and is so great i think it drowns out the awfulness of Planet of the Apes. I think its by far his best work. And I havent seen Sweeney Todd yet, but it looks like it has a beautiful atmosphere and shot incredibly well.

Havent seen Charlie and Choclate Factory either so I cant really comment on it.

I'd like to say Terry Gilliam belongs too, but his recent work has been a drag. I know there were some external factors surrounding Brothers Grimm, but Brazil, The Fisher King, Fear and Loathing, and 12 Monkeys are hard films to beat. All very interesting and had a unique 50's sci-fi style.

Cronenberg has also had major departures from style. He has dropped his more visceral images and went for much more intense dramatic and emotional stylings with Eastern Promises and A History of Violence. Although Scanners, Fly, and Videodrome still have some of the most mind-bending images and ideas.

People are focusing way to much on the director part of the title and not enough on the Keyser Soze part. Keyser put up 10 picks and explained his picks really well. Scott, Ridley, Cameron, Kubrick, Burton, are all great theres no denying but Soze focused on the other 10 instead.

And even though it is not an all-time list, Burton still belongs there. I think his best work has been his most recent stuff. Big Fish was great and a departure from his normal style (in general) and is so great i think it drowns out the awfulness of Planet of the Apes. I think its by far his best work. And I havent seen Sweeney Todd yet, but it looks like it has a beautiful atmosphere and shot incredibly well.

Havent seen Charlie and Choclate Factory either so I cant really comment on it.

I'd like to say Terry Gilliam belongs too, but his recent work has been a drag. I know there were some external factors surrounding Brothers Grimm, but Brazil, The Fisher King, Fear and Loathing, and 12 Monkeys are hard films to beat. All very interesting and had a unique 50's sci-fi style.

Cronenberg has also had major departures from style. He has dropped his more visceral images and went for much more intense dramatic and emotional stylings with Eastern Promises and A History of Violence. Although Scanners, Fly, and Videodrome still have some of the most mind-bending images and ideas.

It's interesting you should mention Tim Burton. He came SOOOOOO close to making it onto the list. He bounced on and off and on and off the list like I don't know what. Even now, part of me kinda thinks maybe I should have put him on there instead of Jackson. :csad:

It's interesting you should mention Tim Burton. He came SOOOOOO close to making it onto the list. He bounced on and off and on and off the list like I don't know what. Even now, part of me kinda thinks maybe I should have put him on there instead of Jackson. :csad:

You could always just do more entries for other directors since your 10 are out of the way...these were good reads.

Plus, Burton's my fave director, so I will always read stuff about him :woot:

david lynch and pt anderson are no where near up and coming.:huh: lynch has been making movies for decades and anderson made boogie nights over a decade ago. add to that the fact they he has already been nominated for a number of oscars and he basically co directed robert altman's last two movies and i would say he has "proven his worth and made (his)... mark" already.

besides, he clearly states its not an all time list:whatever:

oh and i forgot to list terry gilliam. his last film was kinda iffy but most of his stuff is brilliant

I never said David Lynch was an upcoming director. I said I'd replace him with Scott or Cameron. The up and coming directors part refers to some of the other filmmakers in the list, who, compared to the names I've mentioned, are definitely 'newcomers'.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for including Mulholland Drive's Club Silencio scene. The first time I saw that it felt like being shot in the forehead. I'll never forget it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"