Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

You know, there used to be one of these threads popping up early on November 11th... I guess the world is indeed getting more apathetic.

Nonetheless, even though I'm not a big advocate on war and the military lifestyle, I can appreciate enough and give thanks to the thousands of soldiers that have given their lives so that I can complain on an Internet Message board and openly discuss my thoughts.

Thanks...

Mike

I actually gave a minutes silence today. I didn't know about it, as I was sleeping at the time.

This thread is the first time today that I even remembered what today was. Oops.

veterans_bench_dedication098a_web.jpg

I had the whole silence thing at school Fri.

The younger you are, the less this type of thing means to you, except when it comes time to protest it or you have family/friends overseas.

*tear*

For the US peeps: Remembrance Day in Canada/UK works as Memorial Day/Veteran's Day all in one.

In the US Memorial Day is for those who died in the service, Veteran's Day is for those who served in the service and are currently living.
Just commenting since I had to differentiate the difference for a project at work. ;)

terry78 said:
The younger you are, the less this type of thing means to you, except when it comes time to protest it or you have family/friends overseas.

Or you're just completely heartless. I have several friends who just cam back from Iraq, and I have to say today is way more meaningful for me because of it.

What hit hardest for me is when you hear that there are soldiers overseas that are fighting and dying and they're no older then my age...or even younger :(

Thank you to all those that have fought and died and continue to fight for us.

I was thinking about your thread from last year earlier this week and wondering if you'd be the one to post this thread this year.

My gratitude to all the veterans.

did anyone see the bull about the whole white poppies in the uk. they're trying to ruin everything now

its ridiculous that they want to wash away all the things these men sacrificed for us

My Poppy is for WWII Vets, not soldiers who died in Iraq.

Good thread, These Soldiers gave their lives in more ways than one for the freedoms and comforts we daily take for granted.

*tear*

For the US peeps: Remembrance Day in Canada/UK works as Memorial Day/Veteran's Day all in one.

In the US Memorial Day is for those who died in the service, Veteran's Day is for those who served in the service and are currently living.
Just commenting since I had to differentiate the difference for a project at work. ;)

Interesting piece of info Twy. :yay:

Eh...not really..just I've been on several forums today where the meaning behind both seems to be a bit fuzzy. *shrugs*

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

You know, there used to be one of these threads popping up early on November 11th... I guess the world is indeed getting more apathetic.

Nonetheless, even though I'm not a big advocate on war and the military lifestyle, I can appreciate enough and give thanks to the thousands of soldiers that have given their lives so that I can complain on an Internet Message board and openly discuss my thoughts.

Thanks...

Mike
R.I.P boys in green :csad::down:

Thank you for the reminder.....

Kudos to all people willing to fight for their country. Thank you for the freedoms we enjoy.

Shame on all government leaders who send their people to war without a cause truly worth fighting for.

Yeah I gave a minutes silence, caught some of the coverage on the news before.

My thoughts are with all the families etc.

Good thread :)

We all owe a thank you to the brave souls who lost their lives fighting for freedom and a better world. Thanks to the ones that lived too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"