List misconceptions about particular CBMs

Again why did they have to create a new event for the government to be suspicious of Superman when Metropolis is right there.
I just take BvS at face value, which is a handful of cool-looking moments and action sequences strung together by a sloppy plot that makes close to no sense at all. At least Man of Steel and ZSJL are more coherent.

Again why did they have to create a new event for the government to be suspicious of Superman when Metropolis is right there.

Yeah that was so weird. Batman’s whole motivation is around what happened in Metropolis, so just use that. The marketing even made it seem like the hearing was about Metropolis. But no… here’s a half-baked plot about a warlord or something and everyone thinks Superman shot people. WTF?

Presumably because the A-Plot essentially boiled down to "Disliking how Superman handled Metropolis is the province of villains". Subtextually distrusting or disliking Superman over Metropolis was a sign you were Playing Into The Hands Of The Villain, so they wanted to add an additional subplot to hammer that in and make it even less subtle.

Which is to say, on a certain level the entirety of Batman v Superman is "You are wrong and evil for criticizing me about Man of Steel". Almost like it was directed by an Objectivist who both believes the Artistic Creator should be above the petty judgement of his audience, and is still touchy about the reaction to his prior work. . .

The lack of 'understanding' or objective thinking of the 'Martha' scene, or ignoring it because it's 'Snyder' and he doesn't understand or get 'comics', or he's style over substance.

Maybe I'm insane, but I don't even hate the fact that Batman and Superman stopped fighting because Bruce realized that their mothers had the same first name. I just thought that moment would have flown a lot better if Clark had said "Save my mother...Martha Kent" instead of just "Save Martha". You still get the same outcome.

Maybe I'm insane, but I don't even hate the fact that Batman and Superman stopped fighting because Bruce realized that their mothers had the same first name. I just thought that moment would have flown a lot better if Clark had said "Save my mother...Martha Kent" instead of just "Save Martha". You still get the same outcome.
Exactly. I mean it'd still be hokey but it would've been better

The lack of 'understanding' or objective thinking of the 'Martha' scene, or ignoring it because it's 'Snyder' and he doesn't understand or get 'comics', or he's style over substance.
People get it. It's suppose to be a "humanizing" moment, where Bruce realizes Clark is a person. Because he has a mom. The problem is execution and hinging it on a laughable coincidence, at the end of a scene that already made little to no sense from Clark's perspective. You know, where instead of shoving Bruce a mile away, he could of just held him and explained everything. Clark refuse to fight. That's the most Superman thing he could do in that moment.

There are so many ways they could of had the pair fight, that did not lead to the ridicule, but Snyder was focused on TDKR, a story that like BvS, does Bruce and Clark dirty.

Off the top of my head, a simpler, easier, better way. Have Bruce attack Clark. Throw everything at him. Not to kill him, but imprison him (he has one rule). And then have Clark defeat him, rendering Bruce unconscious. He then takes him home, leaving him in the care of Alfred, while he tries to stop Lex. Bruce wakes up, Alfred explains what happens, Bruce decides to aid Batman in his fight. Not perfect, but so obviously better. But nope, needed Batman to "win" because that kind of happens in TDKR and thus, it must be as convoluted as possible. Making Clark an aggressive idiot and Bruce a raging murderer. What fun. :atp:

Also Bruce already knew Supes had a mother. He even mentioned his parents in the fight.

I don't think Bruce actually knew, since the TDKR speech was awkwardly modified to "I bet your parents.....". It seemed like Zack REALLY wanted to include parts of Batman's final speech from the comic in the film even if it didn't make sense with Bruce poisoning, torturing and taunting this alien galoot.

Last edited:
I don't think Bruce actually knew, since the TDKR speech was awkwardly modified to "I bet your parents.....". It seemed like Zack REALLY wanted to include parts of Batman's final speech from the comic in the film even if it didn't make sense with Bruce poisoning, torturing and taunting this alien galoot.

I mean, isn't that Snyder's MO? Include something from the comics because its "cool", without the slightest regard to whether it actually makes sense in the context of the movie he's making? *ahem*

In hindsight, I wish Zack had just directed a standalone live action adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns rather than spearheading the DCEU. Straight-up adaptations are his forte.

I've seen a lot of people who severely look down on Civil War as a classic case of having a villain 'who can manipulate everything to be exactly how they need it to be no matter how unbelievable the situation is'.

The truth is if you really look at Zemo's plan, most of the movie's major coincidences aren't *necessary* for his plan to succeed at all. They just happen (because they make for a good movie). He succeeds at slandering the Avengers' name the second Cap (and others) go rogue, which did not require a ton of manipulation. He succeeds at killing the extra Winter Soldiers through simple torture and murder, mostly off camera with no manipulation involved at all. And his (temporary) success at driving the Avengers apart is often interpreted as only possible because of Zemo's 'master plan' to get Tony, Bucky and Cap together in a specific room in Russia. This, according to some, means the movie is ridiculous because 'what if Cap was arrested and only Bucky and Tony arrived? Or what if Tony didn't show up at all?' Etc.

But the reality of the ending is that Zemo very much likes the idea of getting to lecture Tony and Cap in person about Bucky's history, but he's already proven himself willing to just put evidence out on the internet (when he deliberately called a hotel maid into the room where the real psychologist's body was hidden), which would produce the exact same results in terms of driving the avengers apart. Zemo just wouldn't get to gloat over it all before he died. Meanwhile, in the alternate universe where Cap didn't get to Russia, Zemo actually did even better than he does in the movie as written. Tony unquestionably would've killed Bucky in those circumstances and the relationship between Cap and Tony would've been even worse off as a result.

Pretty much all of the specific manipulation after 'frame Bucky' was optional. A great bonus for Zemo to shoot for if he could get it.

To go even further, Zemo's plan didn't go as intended. His first move was to get the information he needed from Hydra. The stuff with Bucky in Germany was Plan B, where he was forced to do something riskier because Plan A didn't work. Zemo wasn't precognizant by any stretch, just good at maneuvering on the fly when circumstances changed or stuff didn't work.

One thing I've seen a lot has been statements that Captain America: The First Avenger removed all references to the Nazis and Hitler, which obviously is entirely false. They may have downplayed it by having Red Skull turn again them, but he was definitely a Nazi at first, the swastika does appear, including taking up the entire screen at one point, and during the Star Spangled Man sequence Cap goes around punching out "Hitler" every night. This isn't really a misconception as much as just factually wrong.

Another common MCU misconception is Killian's motivations in IM3. It is often said that Killian was primarily motivated out of revenge against Tony Stark for snubbing him at a party. While that incident definitely happened and it had a profound effect on Killian's outlook on life, he didn't resent Tony for it. He only went after Tony because Tony recklessly called out The Mandarin live on television and kept getting in the way of his plans. His real motivation was that he wanted to control both sides of the War on Terror by creating his own foreign menace and exploiting American paranoia to sell weapons to a White House he also had under his thumb.

Last edited:
One thing I've seen a lot has been statements that Captain America: The First Avenger removed all references to the Nazis and Hitler, which obviously is entirely false. They may have downplayed it by having Red Skull turn again them, but he was definitely a Nazi at first, the swastika does appear, including taking up the entire screen at one point, and during the Star Spangled Man sequence Cap goes around punching out "Hitler" every night. This isn't really a misconception as much as just factually wrong.

Another common MCU misconception is Killian's motivations in IM3. It is often said that Killian was primarily motivated out of revenge against Tony Stark for snubbing him at a party. While that incident definitely happened and it had a profound effect on Killian's outlook on life, he didn't resent Tony for it. He only went after Tony because Tony recklessly called out The Mandarin live on television and kept getting in the way of his plans. His real motivation was that he wanted to control both sides of the War on Terror by creating his own foreign menace and exploiting American paranoia to sell weapons to a White House he also had under his thumb.

I mean, I'm sure revenge factored in a *little* once it became relevant. Which, of course, segues into another extremely common misconception: that a character can have *only one* motivation. They can either be motivated by A or B, and whichever one "actually" drives them is the only thing that drives them.

I've seen a lot of misconception that Steve going back to Peggy erased the events of Agent Carter and also took away her agency. He came back in 1949 so her adventures in Agent Carter occurred a couple years before he came back into her life.

I can concede there are dubious things you can question about Steve chilling in the shadows for decades, though I don't subscribe that it's a character assassination. Plus I don't think it took away Peggy's agency. If she didn't want him she could've told him to bounce and Steve would've.

Regardless I love that Steve and Peggy reunited and it's a great way to cap off Endgame.

The fact that the Time Variance Authority exists in the MCU should help those who worry about Steve organizing neighborhood recycling initiatives and spearheading school fundraisers while his wife heads a multinational spy agency, all while ignorant to the fact that Hydra is at least partly driving the bus. In my head canon Mobius or another senior TVA agent had a very long conversation with Mr. Rogers after his last jump and made it quite clear that any disclosure about the future or superheroing on his part would cause a deviation from the Sacred Timeline, and ultimately erasure.

The fact that the Time Variance Authority exists in the MCU should help those who worry about Steve organizing neighborhood recycling initiatives and spearheading school fundraisers while his wife heads a multinational spy agency, all while ignorant to the fact that Hydra is at least partly driving the bus. In my head canon Mobius or another senior TVA agent had a very long conversation with Mr. Rogers after his last jump and made it quite clear that any disclosure about the future or superheroing on his part would cause a deviation from the Sacred Timeline, and ultimately erasure.

This is my head canon as well. And it fits Steve's character to stay back as long as evidence is presented to him showing that meddling with history would create a worse scenario no matter how good his intentions.

Or, here's a thought: none of this is relevant because they actually followed the rules of time travel from the movie, and didn't create a time loop in the first place. Particularly since it doesn't require Steve to compromise himself by surrendering to the most evil and destructive organization as yet revealed in the MCU. *cough*

Reminder to everyone: the TVA *are the bad guys*. Cosmically, genocidally bad guys.

There's a strange misconception I've noticed that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze doesn't have any martial arts in it, just slapstick fighting, and the third movie brought back the proper combat scenes. Whereas the second one in fact has noticeably more fighting. The Turtles kick a lot of people in that film .

TDK is slow and boring.
I heard this argument a lot and honoestly it amazed me that many people think so. TDK has one of the densest scripts from any movie that I have ever seen, and the plot seems to move really fast, at least for me.

TDK is slow and boring.
I heard this argument a lot and honoestly it amazed me that many people think so. TDK has one of the densest scripts from any movie that I have ever seen, and the plot seems to move really fast, at least for me.

I suspect some of that is people who only "count" when the hero is dressed up in full costume.

TDK is slow and boring.

That's more a case of differing opinions than a misconception though as one doesn't have to misunderstand a film in order to find it too slow and boring. While I have some issues with TDK those wouldn't be among my criticisms either though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"