List of Influential Comic Book Films

Good call. Very different and certainly had an effect on the genre.

I believe Unbreakable in a certain sense also had an effect on how directors and writers began to look at the genre, especially as superhero films started to dive into realism.

Influential, in terms of impact, momentum & traction ? There can be only ONE film for me, and that's Superman The Movie. I know I advocate / vote for this film in any similar discussion but it truly is the template for all that we have now and has followed in it's wake. It's the 'Daddy' of them all, my greatest CBM of all time. It is the definitive, the template. :super:

Good call. Very different and certainly had an effect on the genre.

I believe Unbreakable in a certain sense also had an effect on how directors and writers began to look at the genre, especially as superhero films started to dive into realism.

Good call, though I don't know how much influence. I can see Unbreakable, just as much as Blade being the underrated CBM right after B&R and directly before Unbreakable and more importantly X-Men. But sticking to Darkman, what influence did it have? Because it couldn't be non-Superman & Batman characters, because we had Swamp Thing before and failed attempts like The Shadow after.

Influential, in terms of impact, momentum & traction ? There can be only ONE film for me, and that's Superman The Movie. I know I advocate / vote for this film in any similar discussion but it truly is the template for all that we have now and has followed in it's wake. It's the 'Daddy' of them all, my greatest CBM of all time. It is the definitive, the template. :super:

True, but many did more than STM did. I mean look at my list, and you would see that: Batman 89 created the CBM blockbuster and Avengers had the cinematic universe, none of which Superman The Movie created in its identity. To compare, this was based on influential graphic novels: Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns treated comics as literature in a visual aspect, with real world people and conflicts in its story of deconstruction, with one clear difference: Watchmen had original characters who were real world people in costumes, while DKR showed you can apply that concept onto iconic characters like Batman. There are far more than that, but that's why they're influential in comics, as much as STM, Batman 89, Dark Knight, Avengers, Joker, etc are for CBMs.

I don't think any list like this can leave out Blade. The comic book adaptation on film was dead in the water at the end of 1997. Blade beat tremendous odds by being not only a lesser-known comic book character, but being rated R. I'm not sure the golden age of comic book movies as we know it would have happened had Blade flopped or underperformed.

I don't think any list like this can leave out Blade. The comic book adaptation on film was dead in the water at the end of 1997. Blade beat tremendous odds by being not only a lesser-known comic book character, but being rated R. I'm not sure the golden age of comic book movies as we know it would have happened had Blade flopped or underperformed.

I don't really buy this narrative in the first place. Batman and Robin (and Spawn and Steel) being terrible movies that were rightly panned in no way means that comic book adaptations were suddenly 'dead in the water'. And I've never seen any clear evidence that any studio deliberately stepped back from any comic book film they were already committed (or even half-committed) to just because of those movies.

The truth of the matter is that comic book movies were never really big prior to 2000 in the first place. They had occassional succes stories (Superman, Batman, The Mask, Men in Black, Blade) but the vast majority were panned, usually for good reason, or were at best cult hits that made very little money (or in many cases still lost money) and that never stopped studios from making more of them anyway.

Last edited:
I don't really buy this narrative in the first place. Batman and Robin (and Spawn and Steel) being terrible movies that were rightly panned in no way means that comic book adaptations were suddenly 'dead in the water'. And I've never seen any clear evidence that any studio deliberately stepped back from any comic book film they were already committed (or even half-committed) to just because of those movies.

The truth of the matter is that comic book movies were never really big prior to 2000 in the first place. They had occassional succes stories (Superman, Batman, The Mask, Men in Black, Blade) but the vast majority were panned, usually for good reason, or were at best cult hits that made very little money (or in many cases still lost money) and that never stopped studios from making more of them anyway.

If anything, Blade fits the same model as most pre-modern "comic book movies": an extremely loose adaptation that strips out any larger world, any broader mythos, and any fantastic elements save the bare minimum needed for the back-of-cover premise. Blade has more in common with movies like Steel than with movies like X-Men, the only real difference being Blade is actually a decent movie.

There were regular mentions of studios' wariness of CBMs in the mid-90s. When the big two franchises (Bats and Supes) fizzled, Hollywood didn't know where to go with comic book properties. Kevin Smith once referenced a time when "no one wanted to touch Superman", and there was a lot of studio apprehension when movies like Dick Tracy and the Phantom underperformed. This was at the same time (early-to-mid-90s) when Stan Lee remarked that the "technology didn't exist" to make a good Spider-man movie, so there were a lot of doubts about whether or successes like Supes '78 and Batman '89 could be replicated.

Spawn was heavily-anticipated among comic fans in the mid-90s, but not only did it underperform (a bad omen for new properties), it caused the same type of controversy that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles did due to the violence level. There was a lot of trepidation not only about CBM budgets, but how and to whom to market. I'll be honest in saying that when I began reading about Blade being in production, I doubted that it was going to make it to the screen even with Snipes involved. Goyer later said that some New Line officials tried to get him to write Blade as a goofy comedy, so I might not have been completely off base when I assumed that there were plenty of doubts that straight adaptations could find a large enough audience to be successful. Blade beat the odds, and it was instrumental in the development of the modern comic book movie.

There were regular mentions of studios' wariness of CBMs in the mid-90s. When the big two franchises (Bats and Supes) fizzled, Hollywood didn't know where to go with comic book properties. Kevin Smith once referenced a time when "no one wanted to touch Superman", and there was a lot of studio apprehension when movies like Dick Tracy and the Phantom underperformed. This was at the same time (early-to-mid-90s) when Stan Lee remarked that the "technology didn't exist" to make a good Spider-man movie, so there were a lot of doubts about whether or successes like Supes '78 and Batman '89 could be replicated.

Spawn was heavily-anticipated among comic fans in the mid-90s, but not only did it underperform (a bad omen for new properties), it caused the same type of controversy that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles did due to the violence level. There was a lot of trepidation not only about CBM budgets, but how and to whom to market. I'll be honest in saying that when I began reading about Blade being in production, I doubted that it was going to make it to the screen even with Snipes involved. Goyer later said that some New Line officials tried to get him to write Blade as a goofy comedy, so I might not have been completely off base when I assumed that there were plenty of doubts that straight adaptations could find a large enough audience to be successful. Blade beat the odds, and it was instrumental in the development of the modern comic book movie.

And yet most of that happened before Batman and Robin came out, but still didn't stop Batman and Robin (or Blade or Mystery Men or X-Men or whatever else I'm forgetting) from happening. New CBMs came out regularly throughout the entire decade, both before and after the Bat Credit Card.

Also 1997 saw the release of the highest grossing cbm ever made yet at the time - Men in Black was the third biggest movie that year after Titanic and Jurassic Park 2, and it would hold that title until Raimi's Spider-man in 2002. The Mask was an almost equally massive success a few years earlier.

Any rational executive looking at this picture would have to see that there is clearly some potential in comic book films, and it would in no way be Blade (which made a mere 130m compared to MiB's 590m) which would be the main persuasive argument for that. The problem was always figuring out how to do them right and how not to do them wrong. And things like 'the technology to do a good Spider-man movie doesn't exist' or 'no one wants to touch Superman' have absolutely nothing to do with whether CBMs in general were viable or not. The Spider-man thing, first of all, was probably true (until it wasn't anymore) - and any given source material could have the same problem (X-men), or not have that problem at all (Green Arrow). And specific franchises/characters falling out of favor is just normal for Hollywood. Is it really shocking that no one was rushing to follow up 'Quest for Peace'?

And, uh, I really don't know what to say about the idea that a studio was in any way surprised and dismayed by the fact that Spawn was controversially violent... I mean, it's basically a superzombie working for the devil in the form of a cannibal clown as far as I recall the basic premise. Anyone making that movie should've factored the controversy in from the start.

And things like 'the technology to do a good Spider-man movie doesn't exist' or 'no one wants to touch Superman' have absolutely nothing to do with whether CBMs in general were viable or not.

And, uh, I really don't know what to say about the idea that a studio was in any way surprised and dismayed by the fact that Spawn was controversially violent... I mean, it's basically a superzombie working for the devil in the form of a cannibal clown as far as I recall the basic premise. Anyone making that movie should've factored the controversy in from the start.

Sorry, we're going to have to disagree on that first statement. Comic book adaptations, and I mean super hero adaptations in particular, were still mired in the misconceptions that they were campy fare meant only for kids, parents of kids, and comic book readers. They were not four-quadrant ideas back then. It was a different world, and the instant flavor-recognition that we see with the MCU didn't exist. Studios had a lot of hurdles with which to deal.

While it might seem like a project like Spawn should be obviously in it's content, it wasn't. TMNT '90 caused controversy with its use of martial arts weaponry and and, at least in parts, brutal violence. The result of this was the comparatively tame, and less successful, TMNT 2. Batman Returns caused controversy with parents groups due to the Penguin's nose bite. Spawn, who had already been the subject of controversy on a much smaller scale due to the comic content, saw that amplified when the movie's content became news.

So while there were the occasional outliers like Men in Black, which only had the occasional media mentions of being a comic adaptation, it was a confusing time for studios in trying to bring legendary characters from Marvel and DC to life. It was complicated--very complicated. The odds against Blade's success were long indeed, but it beat them. Here's a good article on what I mean:

An unsung hero: How Blade helped save the comic-book movie

Sorry, we're going to have to disagree on that first statement. Comic book adaptations, and I mean super hero adaptations in particular, were still mired in the misconceptions that they were campy fare meant only for kids, parents of kids, and comic book readers. They were not four-quadrant ideas back then. It was a different world, and the instant flavor-recognition that we see with the MCU didn't exist. Studios had a lot of hurdles with which to deal.

While it might seem like a project like Spawn should be obviously in it's content, it wasn't. TMNT '90 caused controversy with its use of martial arts weaponry and and, at least in parts, brutal violence. The result of this was the comparatively tame, and less successful, TMNT 2. Batman Returns caused controversy with parents groups due to the Penguin's nose bite. Spawn, who had already been the subject of controversy on a much smaller scale due to the comic content, saw that amplified when the movie's content became news.

So while there were the occasional outliers like Men in Black, which only had the occasional media mentions of being a comic adaptation, it was a confusing time for studios in trying to bring legendary characters from Marvel and DC to life. It was complicated--very complicated. The odds against Blade's success were long indeed, but it beat them. Here's a good article on what I mean:

An unsung hero: How Blade helped save the comic-book movie

The actual facts reported in that article are that Batman and Robin, Steel and Spawn were failures and that the creators of Blade never even considered - nor were pushed by anyone else in the studios to consider - the idea of not making the movie (or even seriously toning it down) just because of those failures. Even when one of them said he was 'worried', he explicitly adds that Mike de Luca (the guy he's working with) produced both Spawn and Steel, which would clearly seem to have more to do with that than with the viability of cbms in general. And the article also describes Spawn and Steel as worrying for Blade because both Spawn and Steel were cbms with black leads, which also goes against the narrative of cbms being unsupportable in general - but that seems to be the writer's own addition with no quote from anyone actually involved so it could be a totally irrelevant fact that the actual filmmakers never worried about at all.

All statements like 'comic book movies were being read their last rites' or that blade 'revived' or 'rebuilt' the genre are completely hollow insertions of the writer's personal belief with no facts backing them up whatsoever other than that three specific movies failed and Blade didn't. There's nothing at all in there to actually support the idea that 1997 was somehow a fundamentally worse year for these films than ever before. Because it wasn't.

Batman and Robin wasn't even a box office bomb to begin with - it probably didn't make a profit, since the budget was actually 125m for some reason and that doesn't even count all sorts of other marketing and distribution costs, but it still brought in 240m in box office. Spawn's 90m gross may have actually made a tiny profit in the end, based on the numbers, though the exact numbers of its budget seem unavailable.

Men in Black was a massive hit, which the article even acknowledges, though in a backhanded way seemingly trying to wave that fact away as an irrelevant anomaly - and yet, there had never been another cbm as successful as MiB was, and there had been LOTS of years in which there was NO cbm movie that was successful at all. So how could that possibly be the moment in which 'Comic book movies were being read their last rites'?

And there had been previous years with multiple bombs, too (Barb Wire, The Phantom, The Crow: City of Angels, Judge Dredd, Tank Girl, etc).

The worst thing you can say about 1997 is it ended the power of the current 'sure thing' in the genre (Batman), but that had happened before, too, with Superman IV.

I also have to wonder if there's been any creative editing of this interview going on looking at Frankfurt's statement that:

"I think they as well as most acknowledge that it was the first movie that kind of presented a comic-book hero in a fresh way. It made people, especially young people, pay attention and say, 'Oh wow, this could actually be cool. This could actually be something that I'd want to watch.'"

This makes perfect sense if he was referring specifically to Marvel movies (which had achieved jack **** as of that point in time), yet the article tries to make it sound like he's saying Blade was the first comic book movie to do anything different since Superman first came out, which would obviously be nonsensical.

As for the rest of your post:

1. Of course the genre was mired in perceptions of being 'kiddy' and/or 'campy'. It *always had been*. Sure, one could argue that Blade (along with X-men and others) helped change that, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with the claim that CBMs were dead in the water and wouldn't have been made anymore if Blade hadn't succeeded against all odds.

2. There is no logical defense for any studio *not* expecting some kind of pushback on a movie like Spawn. All the stuff you're saying about TMNT and Batman Returns only makes it an *even more ridiculous* concept. They could clearly already see that violence could cause controversy and even the slightest view of the source material clearly shows it could not possibly be made without serious violence couched in far more disturbing concepts and ideas than anything that was ever in TMNT or Batman. And Blade itself proves pretty clearly that violence and the controversy around it had nothing to do with why Spawn failed, anyway. Nor did that controversy do anything whatsover to stop Blade from being made.

3. This is probably an anecdotal issue where we simply came from different experiences, but my memory of the 90s as someone not following comic book fandom or internet discussions is that Blade was not really commonly referred to as a cbm, either. Not much moreso than MiB, in any case. Most people seemed to talk about it as a vampire movie or a vampire hunter movie or just a general action/horror movie.

4. The odds of CBMs succeeding were always comparatively low back then. That also has nothing to do with whether the CBM genre was ever actually on its death bed as a result of B&R or whether Blade somehow saved the entire idea of the comic book movie from oblivion and I still see no evidence that either of those things is true.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Binker, post: 38420079, member: 25650"

That ain't an influential film at all. Just a movie that shouldn't have been made, period. Sorry dude. Rest are good though.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it was influential, I said it was important.

There's a difference between influential and important . Influential means that it influenced the genre. Important means that it was a milestone, had an effect, or caused other things to happen.

Now a film can be both influential and important , but I clearly put B&R in the important category on the list with X Men and several others which weren't influential but were important.

An important film, doesn't automatically mean a "good film".

But in this case, the fact that it was as you say " a bad film" was extremely consequentially to the future of the Batman franchise and DC on film in general. That is the truth.

That "bad film" meant that you didn't get a Superman film off the ground for another decade, and made them gun shy on the rest of their major catalog, i.e. Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Justice League, etc, until Batman Begins 6 years later when Nolan is in the picture.

And being gun shy about the rest of their DC canon means you don't see anything close to a cinematic universe until nearly 20 years after B&R, and you don't see GL, WW, Aquaman, Flash until the 20 teens as opposed to the early to mid 2000s.

Meanwhile, Marvel films are appearing all over the place from different studios while WB is still wary about greenlighting another Batman or Superman film.

And that was even, though they had tried to develop projects but never went full bore with them due to the "bad film" that was Batman and Robin.

It made them unwilling to risk and take chances for almost a decade until Batman Begins.

So it's hard to argue Batman and Robin wasn't an important event with regards to the Batman franchise, and that it's failure set alot of other things in motion.

If that film succeeds, or doesn't happen at all, you don't get Nolan shaping the franchise and influencing the Genre and Hollywood, and you don't get alot of other things. If Batman and Robin is hit or is even a decent film, there is no Chris Nolan with the Batman franchise and everything that that begets. That's reality.

There is no Nolan without Batman and Robin.

It's hard to deny that if you look at history.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Binker, post: 38420079, member: 25650"

That ain't an influential film at all. Just a movie that shouldn't have been made, period. Sorry dude. Rest are good though.

I didn't say it was influential, I said it was important.

There's a difference between influential and important . Influential means that it influenced the genre. Important means that it was a milestone, had an effect, or caused other things to happen.

Now a film can be both influential and important , but I clearly put B&R in the important category on the list with X Men and several others which weren't influential but were important.

An important film, doesn't automatically mean a "good film".

But in this case, the fact that it was as you say " a bad film" was extremely consequentially to the future of the Batman franchise and DC on film in general. That is the truth.

That "bad film" meant that you didn't get a Superman film off the ground for another decade, and made them gun shy on the rest of their major catalog, i.e. Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Justice League, etc, until Batman Begins 6 years later when Nolan is in the picture.

And being gun shy about the rest of their DC canon means you don't see anything close to a cinematic universe until nearly 20 years after B&R, and you don't see GL, WW, Aquaman, Flash until the 20 teens as opposed to the early to mid 2000s.

Meanwhile, Marvel films are appearing all over the place from different studios while WB is still wary about greenlighting another Batman or Superman film.

And that was even, though they had tried to develop projects but never went full bore with them due to the "bad film" that was Batman and Robin.

It made them unwilling to risk and take chances for almost a decade until Batman Begins.

So it's hard to argue Batman and Robin wasn't an important event with regards to the Batman franchise, and that it's failure set alot of other things in motion.

If that film succeeds, or doesn't happen at all, you don't get Nolan shaping the franchise and influencing the Genre and Hollywood, and you don't get alot of other things. If Batman and Robin is hit or is even a decent film, there is no Chris Nolan with the Batman franchise and everything that that begets. That's reality.

There is no Nolan without Batman and Robin.

It's hard to deny that if you look at history.[/QUOTE]

Just because it did lead to things like those changes, they're not important as they're reminders not to do those things. You brought up Batman & Robin, or the nature of superhero films not taking risks post-Batman Returns, and I would dub them as lessons of what not to do and what to do differently. Important would make them great choices, which is incorrect.

Just because it did lead to things like those changes, they're not important as they're reminders not to do those things. You brought up Batman & Robin, or the nature of superhero films not taking risks post-Batman Returns, and I would dub them as lessons of what not to do and what to do differently. Important would make them great choices, which is incorrect.[/QUOTE]

Important doesn't always mean great choices. Important means consequential , and it was consequently for DC on film.

The idea that important only means good is incorrect. History is filled with events which are important but aren't good moments. And not all important decisions made are good ones.

And I brought up gun shyness with WB, not superhero films in general. As I stated in my post, Marvel went on producing films like X Men, Spiderman, Blade etc for several years, while WB was gun shy about moving forward.

I didn't about studios not taking risks post Batman Returns. That may have been another poster. The response to Batman returns was nothing like the response to B&R. Not even close, and it didn't have the effect on WB plans for a decade the way B&R did.

BR had a something of a backlash with some parents groups, and the reception was mixed, but that just meant they changed directors and came back 3 years later with a sequel. As someone who was around in 92 and 97, the response to the two films were totally different ,and not even on the same level, so the analogy doesn't really hold up.

Batman and Robin was like an earth quake in terms of WB plans , so much so, it basically put Superman lives on hold. It meant we don't didn't another Batman film for almost another decade in addition to Superman and several other DC characters making it to film.

Batman and Robin failing was an important event for the history of the Batman franchise and DC on film. Without it , you don't get Nolan . Period. That's a fact.

That doesn't mean the film was good, or the decision to make the film the way it was was good. That irrelevant. The question is was it an important event for Batman on film and DC on film, and the answer is yes, and really isn't all that debatable in my view, especially in the context of how we get to the Nolan.

Just because it did lead to things like those changes, they're not important as they're reminders not to do those things. You brought up Batman & Robin, or the nature of superhero films not taking risks post-Batman Returns, and I would dub them as lessons of what not to do and what to do differently. Important would make them great choices, which is incorrect.

Important doesn't always mean great choices. Important means consequential , and it was consequently for DC on film.

The idea that important only means good is incorrect. History is filled with events which are important but aren't good moments. And not all important decisions made are good ones.

And I brought up gun shyness with WB, not superhero films in general. As I stated in my post, Marvel went on producing films like X Men, Spiderman, Blade etc for several years, while WB was gun shy about moving forward.

I didn't about studios not taking risks post Batman Returns. That may have been another poster. The response to Batman returns was nothing like the response to B&R. Not even close, and it didn't have the effect on WB plans for a decade the way B&R did.

BR had a something of a backlash with some parents groups, and the reception was mixed, but that just meant they changed directors and came back 3 years later with a sequel. As someone who was around in 92 and 97, the response to the two films were totally different ,and not even on the same level, so the analogy doesn't really hold up.

Batman and Robin was like an earth quake in terms of WB plans , so much so, it basically put Superman lives on hold. It meant we don't didn't another Batman film for almost another decade in addition to Superman and several other DC characters making it to film.

Batman and Robin failing was an important event for the history of the Batman franchise and DC on film. Without it , you don't get Nolan . Period. That's a fact.

That doesn't mean the film was good, or the decision to make the film the way it was was good. That irrelevant. The question is was it an important event for Batman on film and DC on film, and the answer is yes, and really isn't all that debatable in my view, especially in the context of how we get to the Nolan.[/QUOTE]

In either case, I'm talking about influential films, not important ones.

Men in Black was a massive hit, which the article even acknowledges, though in a backhanded way seemingly trying to wave that fact away as an irrelevant anomaly - and yet, there had never been another cbm as successful as MiB was, and there had been LOTS of years in which there was NO cbm movie that was successful at all. So how could that possibly be the moment in which 'Comic book movies were being read their last rites'?

And there had been previous years with multiple bombs, too (Barb Wire, The Phantom, The Crow: City of Angels, Judge Dredd, Tank Girl, etc).

The worst thing you can say about 1997 is it ended the power of the current 'sure thing' in the genre (Batman), but that had happened before, too, with Superman IV.

I also have to wonder if there's been any creative editing of this interview going on looking at Frankfurt's statement that:

"I think they as well as most acknowledge that it was the first movie that kind of presented a comic-book hero in a fresh way. It made people, especially young people, pay attention and say, 'Oh wow, this could actually be cool. This could actually be something that I'd want to watch.'"

This makes perfect sense if he was referring specifically to Marvel movies (which had achieved jack **** as of that point in time), yet the article tries to make it sound like he's saying Blade was the first comic book movie to do anything different since Superman first came out, which would obviously be nonsensical.

As for the rest of your post:

4. The odds of CBMs succeeding were always comparatively low back then. That also has nothing to do with whether the CBM genre was ever actually on its death bed as a result of B&R or whether Blade somehow saved the entire idea of the comic book movie from oblivion and I still see no evidence that either of those things is true.

That's partially my point too when you speak of the previous years' bombs. I'm not saying that 1997 alone was some kind of valley for CBMs, but it did represent a tipping point. What was succeeding were outliers like MiB, but most super hero films were met with tepid interest at best. With Batman's franchise ending prematurely and Spawn failing to launch a franchise, there was no rush to continue CBMs. I'm sure projects like X-men and Spider-man would have eventually happened, but Blade succeeded in a way that no one could have seen at the time. There were very few prospects on the horizon when it came to comic book films at the the end of 1997 because studios still didn't have a handle on the comic book world.

Blade premiered at a time when DC was in the midst of a 7-year hiatus at the box office and Marvel's previous 2 attempts, Captain America's 1990 film and the unreleased Fantastic Four film, reinforced the idea that CBMs were B-movie fare. Bigger studios took notice when Blade succeeded at the box office at a time when some heavy hitters like X-men, Daredevil, and Hulk were still languishing as Marvel tried to survive as a company.

Yeah, 1997 really was a nadir. It was an awful year for films in general but particularly CBM's.

Was Blade at the time of it's release even marketed as a comic book movie?

Influential:

Superman '78
Batman '89
X-Men (Owed a lot to the Matrix to be fair)
Spider-Man
The Dark Knight
Iron Man
The Avengers
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Civil War
Black Panther
Infinity War

Yeah. Lol. I what I meant to say was it was the opposite and it was groundbreaking.

That summer with Iron Man, TDK and Indiana Jones, oh my word, was for me, the best Summer since '89 for films, for me.

That's partially my point too when you speak of the previous years' bombs. I'm not saying that 1997 alone was some kind of valley for CBMs, but it did represent a tipping point. What was succeeding were outliers like MiB, but most super hero films were met with tepid interest at best. With Batman's franchise ending prematurely and Spawn failing to launch a franchise, there was no rush to continue CBMs. I'm sure projects like X-men and Spider-man would have eventually happened, but Blade succeeded in a way that no one could have seen at the time. There were very few prospects on the horizon when it came to comic book films at the the end of 1997 because studios still didn't have a handle on the comic book world.

Blade premiered at a time when DC was in the midst of a 7-year hiatus at the box office and Marvel's previous 2 attempts, Captain America's 1990 film and the unreleased Fantastic Four film, reinforced the idea that CBMs were B-movie fare. Bigger studios took notice when Blade succeeded at the box office at a time when some heavy hitters like X-men, Daredevil, and Hulk were still languishing as Marvel tried to survive as a company.

You're still ignoring the fact that *successful* CBMS were *always* outliers. Blade is just as much of an outlier as MIB, and MIB came first and was way more successful. The Mask came before that and was also way more successful than Blade. Batman and Superman were so heavily considered outliers that a lot of people still talk about them as the 'only' superheroes that were able to succeed at all back then (which tells you how many people even remember TMNT, I guess).

There were mostly bombs and occassional outlier successes before B&R and the same was true after B&R. And it was still true after Blade, too. The number of 'outliers' slowly started climbing in 2000, but the bombs were still a major recurring presence for more than half of the 2000s.

Was Blade at the time of it's release even marketed as a comic book movie?
Not really. There was a toy line aimed at collectors and there might have been a comic adaptation but beyond that if you look at the original trailer and poster, Marvel isn't mentioned at all. The only hint is Stan Lee's name being in the credits. Otherwise, it was just marketed as your average '90s Wesley Snipes action movie.

MV5BOTk2NDNjZWQtMGY0Mi00YTY2LWE5MzctMGRhZmNlYzljYTg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyNjg4NjE0._V1_.jpg

Blade was important financially since it was Marvel's first box office success which gave them the opportunity to move on to X-Men and Spider-Man, etc. But I wouldn't necessarily qualify it as being influential to the genre as a whole. I like the movie but people really look at it with rose-tinted glasses just because it was Marvel's first successful film.

Blade is way overrated for that very reason, yes it did well, but it's not like it's a genre-best or a masterpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"