"Logan" is an alternate universe, not the real ending of the Fox franchise.

I agree with this 100%. In my head-canon it goes:

X1
X2
X3
DOFP
Logan

The other films don't matter.

EDIT: I forgot all about The Wolverine. I consider that part of the above canon.
I can understand leaving out X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix but why not include First Class? I know there are contradictions between First Class and the original film along with X3 (Xavier said he was 17 when he first met Magneto in the original film when he was clearly older in FC, Xavier can still walk in the X3 flashback, etc.) but DOFP is a direct sequel to FC and makes multiple references to it.

DOFP was the X-Men movie that made me stop caring about the continuity and just enjoy (or not enjoy in some cases) the films for what they are. I'll get more annoyed if a franchise like Star Wars or the MCU slips up with continuity errors since they're more careful about maintaining it but the Fox-Men movies were sloppy with the timeline since at least X-Men Origins. Even Deadpool poked fun at it.

df40207087f903a8537fabfb50ecf785f8d38440_hq.gif

My headcanoning is more complicated. When I'm watching the original trilogy and The Wolverine I acknowledge the original trilogy and The Wolverine, nothing else. When I'm watching First Class/Days of Future Past/Apocalypse I acknowledge those three and X-Men 1 and X2, thus dodging the contradictions with The Last Stand and Origins. With Dark Phoenix, I acknowledge First Class/Days of Future Past/Apocalypse and X-Men 1/X2; I just leave Dark Phoenix out of the First Class to Apocalypse films because while I enjoy it, I don't think it's a good sequel (they killed Mystique).

I think Logan just needs X-Men 1 to make sense and is really its own thing, Deadpool defies normal standards of continuity, and Origins: Wolverine doesn't matter.

The entire timeline is a mess and I thought this thread was dead long ago from the initial responses!

It’s possible that Logan is in a split timeline between the real Foxverse and its own alternate universe. One foot in one room the other foot in the other as they always say

These are my X-Men timelines:

Deadpool 1 and 2 - Parallel Universe
Logan - Parallel Universe
Legion - Parallel Universe
The Gifted - Parallel Universe

MAINSTREAM UNIVERSE - Original Timeline

En Sabah Nur arrives in Egypt: 5000 BC
En Sabah Nur is defeated: 3600 BC
Victor Logan and James Howlett escape: 1845
Concentration Camp: 1944
James Logan in Japan: 1945
First Class: 1962
James Logan and Victor Creed are recruited by Stryker in Vietnam: 1973 (Autumn)
James Logan leaves Team X: 1977
The Last Stand Prologue: 1980
Weapon X Project: 1983
Warren Worthington's Flashback: 1990
The X-Men are reformed (Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, Beast, Emma Silverfox, Banshee clone, Quicksilver clone): 1990s
Wolverine joins the X-Men: 1999
X2: 1999
The Last Stand: 2000
Magneto regains his powers: 2001
The X-Men disband: 2007
The Wolverine: 2008
The Wolverine Post-Credits: 2010
DOFP Bleak Future: 2023

MAINSTREAM UNIVERSE - Altered Timeline

En Sabah Nur arrives in Egypt: 5000 BC
En Sabah Nur is defeated: 3600 BC
Victor Logan and James Howlett escape: 1845
Concentration Camp: 1944
James Logan in Japan: 1945
First Class: 1962
Logan changes the timeline: 1973
Xavier adopts Jean Grey: 1975
Archangel (not Warren) operates in Germany: 1982
The X-Men are reformed (Cyclops, Mystique, J. Grey/Phoenix, Beast, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver, M. MacTaggert): 1983
Warren Worthington's Flashback: 1990
Dark Phoenix: 1992
The New Mutants: 2008
DOFP New Future: 2023

haha these threads man.

Logan can't follow the happy ending of DOFP, because the former hadn't seen new mutants for decades, while the latter had a functioning school full of mutant children. But it's the Fox X-Men series, why bother with that continuity?

This is my "new" rule:

Movies titled "X-Men" are absolutely CANON for the Mainstream Cinematic Universe:

X-Men
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men: First Class
X-Men: Days of Future Past
X-Men: Apocalypse
"Dark Phoenix", renamed X-Men: Dark Phoenix for Europe, Asia and video.

Movies titled after a solo character are alternate universes:

The Wolverine (even if, for me, it fits into the Mainstream)
Deadpool
Logan
Deadpool 2
That's it.

It's a stupid rule. The Wolverine fits way better into continuity than Origins, which is ignored and contradicted by practically everything that followed. The 'X-Men' moniker clearly has nothing to do with it.

Yup, acknowledging DOFP but not First Class doesn't make a lot of sense.

I don't include First Class for one simple reason, and most of you are gonna hate this reason... but oh well... because it's a terrible movie. I wish I could wipe it from my memory, but I can't. So I wipe it from my head-canon.

It's a stupid rule. The Wolverine fits way better into continuity than Origins, which is ignored and contradicted by practically everything that followed. The 'X-Men' moniker clearly has nothing to do with it.

Stupid or clever, it doesn't matter. "Logan" still remains an alternate universe.

Relax, man.

I still love that pointless epilogue of The Wolverine they never followed up on at all.

I still love that pointless epilogue of The Wolverine they never followed up on at all.
The part where Logan sees Xavier and Magneto at the airport? That was clearly meant to lead into Days of Future Past. Logan even sees a commercial for Trask Industries on TV at the airport. The only thing that wasn't followed up on was how the adamantium got back on Logan's skeleton. I think it was said in an interview that Magneto did it off screen but I thought that was a lazy cop out.

The part where Logan sees Xavier and Magneto at the airport? That was clearly meant to lead into Days of Future Past. Logan even sees a commercial for Trask Industries on TV at the airport. The only thing that wasn't followed up on was how the adamantium got back on Logan's skeleton. I think it was said in an interview that Magneto did it off screen but I thought that was a lazy cop out.

It wasn't a good setup for Days of Future Past.

It wasn't a good setup for Days of Future Past.
I'm inclined to agree, but it wasn't entirely pointless considering it showed why Logan was back on the team in DOFP.

Another point about LOGAN and DEADPOOL clearly being alternate worlds and not the mainstream X-Men movie timeline:
At the end of DARK PHOENIX, we see that Xavier's school changes name and is renamed AFTER JEAN GREY.
In the positive ending of DOFP, they never mentioned the name of the school, so that's consistent with DP.
In LOGAN and DEADPOOL, the school is named after XAVIER "as always".
Well, Xavier would NEVER rename the school from JEAN GREY to HIMSELF again, that would be arrogant from his part and totally out of character.

All the X-Men movies named after a solo character are "alternate worlds", even if "The Wolverine" fits into the DOFP scenario without any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"