Looking for some feedback for my grounded superhero story (60k words) [OC - not fanfiction]

famousmeatball

Civilian
Reaction score
Just finished a beta draft of a novel I intend to self publish, called, "Blackout: The Walking Lightswitch".

I'm hoping to get some feedback on it from people who are into this genre. I've been a big fan of superheroes and superhero media ever since I was a kid. I decided to take a stab at building my own little superhero world that I think is interesting, and I hope is interesting to other people who love this genre.

What It's About

I'd like to write this out a bit less formally than a real synopsis, to give a better explanation of what the goals of the story are.

Essentially, this is an exploration of what a society built around superpowers might look like on a more granular, detail oriented level. The portrayal is something like an intersection of professional sports and celebrity influencer culture.

The story follows Blackout, a teenage hero at the bottom of the super ecosystem. Blackout's underwhelming abilities allow him to turn on and off light sources, see in the dark, and shroud himself in shadow, which don't help much when scrapping with local villains. The majority of the story is centered around Blackout's adventures as a local, street level hero, attempting to solve petty crimes in his own neighborhood.

Much like a sports league, the Heroes Guild that Blackout belongs to has its own systems for developing talent. Blackout is in the lowest level of the minor leagues, in the same chapter as real prospects, as they all work to make it to the majors. It's meant to show a disjunction between the experience of heroes with bright futures, compared to those those who no one in any position of authority cares about, like Blackout, who is still attempting to climb the ladder, despite his deficiencies.

Writing Sample
So, I think this snippet best represents what I'm talking about in terms of granular details.

On the subject of the furnishings in the clubhouse of the minor league chapter Blackout belongs to:
The lounge was sectioned off into three parts. The first part was a configuration of as many beat up sofas they could fit around a truly huge, obscenely expensive television. It was an interesting disjunction that embodied a dynamic at play throughout the clubhouse. The television was an example of a collective bargaining requirement that dictated it be uniform in every Heroes Guild clubhouse, no matter the tiering. Blackout and the rest of the Uptown Heights Chapter got the same exact TV as the League of Champions. Clubhouse furnishing responsibility was up to each individual chapter. Thus, the members of Uptown Heights watched their magnificent TV on mismatched, decades old sofas.

What Feedback I'm Looking For
  • Any general thoughts on the story.
  • Your thoughts on the specific details of the world building and systems explored in the story.
  • Thoughts on characters.
  • What elements you felt were strongest, and which were weakest.
  • Where do you think the story is headed?
NOTE: I'm NOT looking for proofreading. I have worked as a professional copyeditor, and have professional editor friends who are proofreading for me. I'm sure there are plenty of grammatical errors and examples of clunky prose that can be found, but I'll ask you to let me worry about those.

Finally, there is an anachronism related to media referenced in the story that I'm already aware of. If you catch it, consider it an easter egg. I'll be fixing it by the next draft.

If you're interested, leave a comment, and I'll dm you a link to the google doc.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"